JFK immigration queues

Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Adam18290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JFK immigration queues

Hi all,

Is anyone able to shed light on the queues available at JFK for those holding an E2 Visa?

I recently obtained the visa and will be travelling to JFK in the next week knowing that my previous 2 visits without the E2 visa has resulted me in queuing for 2+ hours at each time.

I understand there is a queue for USC's and then one for non-USC's, does that mean with an E2 that I need to use the same queue as if I didn't have the E2 at all (i.e. non-USC)?

Thanks,
Adam.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:29 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of
Default Re: JFK immigration queues

You will not be able to use the US Citizen queue with an E-2 visa.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam18290
I understand there is a queue for USC's and then one for non-USC's, does that mean with an E2 that I need to use the same queue as if I didn't have the E2 at all (i.e. non-USC)?
Yes.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Interesting, I just heard from a friend that there is a queue for non national residents which he has used with his L1B...wonder if that applies for me...
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... my previous 2 visits without the E2 visa has resulted me in queuing for 2+ hours at each time.
Perhaps you should consider flying into a different airport!

... does that mean with an E2 that I need to use the same queue as if I didn't have the E2 at all (i.e. non-USC)?
Yes.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard from a friend that there is a queue for non national residents which he has used with his L1B...
Perhaps you can ask your friend what he means by "non national resident"... since it's a mangled version of several terms. There may be a separate line for permanent residents (= those with a green card). At any rate, this probably doesn't apply to you - at least, not the first time you enter the US... since until your visa is processed at the POE, you haven't actually got any sort of status.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I just heard from a friend that there is a queue for non national residents which he has used with his L1B...wonder if that applies for me...
Im not even sure what one of those is - but if you mean non-USC resident then it does not and will not, since on the E2 you are not a PR.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

It's the people behind you I feel sorry for. No doubt you, with a visa, will take far more time to get through than the average VWP traveller.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:05 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RICH
It's the people behind you I feel sorry for. No doubt you, with a visa, will take far more time to get through than the average VWP traveller.
That's an interesting thought. I figured people with a Visa have been at the consulate and got a good poke and prod by the consulate staff. With VWP, they might have never had interaction with any type of review... as an agent I would be more wary of VWP travelers, specially who have never before been admitted vs. Visa holder.

Just a thought. As a citizen (and with kids making travel less frequent in my household) I am not experiencing the joy of immigration lines much anymore.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting thought. I figured people with a Visa have been at the consulate and got a good poke and prod by the consulate staff
There is additional paperwork to be completed at the border when entering on anything other than a B1/2 visa. That's what RICH was referring to. Nothing to do with them being questioned.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Something I can fill out on the plane or literally once I arrive at the immigration officers desk?

I was informed that there was a non national citizen line which was separate to the citizen line and the generic everyone else line.

Apparently I could use the non national citizen line if I held some sort of existing visa... that's what a friend of mine who has a L1B said anyway...
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Something I can fill out on the plane or literally once I arrive at the immigration officers desk?

I was informed that there was a non national citizen line which was separate to the citizen line and the generic everyone else line.

Apparently I could use the non national citizen line if I held some sort of existing visa... that's what a friend of mine who has a L1B said anyway...
As both paper I-94 (for visa holders) and I-94W (for VWP visitors) have now been phased out, all you have to fill out on the plane is the customs form, and everyone including USCs has to do that. Any other paperwork that you as an E-2 holder may have to fill out will be done at CBP inspection, quite possibly in secondary if extra processing is required.

At JFK in my experience there are usually separate lanes for USCs, LPRs and everyone else. I don't see why you wouldn't fall into the "everyone else" category. However, it's always worth asking the person at the start of the lanes who helps direct people to the correct one whether you can use the LPR lane with an E-2. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Last edited by rpjs; Feb 13th 2014 at 2:06 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Am I going to go through further examination on my first entry with the E2 to the States then? Something I should prepare for?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

And what line is that, exactly?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I

Just a thought. As a citizen (and with kids making travel less frequent in my household) I am not experiencing the joy of immigration lines much anymore.
And the line for US Citizens is just as long and just as slow as the non-USC line. Heck coming into Newark's Liberty Airport from Switzerland this fall took me nearly 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.