Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:02 am
Just Joined

james122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

Moderator's Note: This thread consists of several threads started by james122, all merged into this thread. James has a path to immigrate to the USA via his USC sibling, but also asks about various other options to get to the USA sooner. I felt this introduction was necessary because the merged threads seem random. .but they all have the same theme. I suggest that james122 keep all his US Immigration questions in this thread.
---------------------------------------------------
james122's post:
I have researched applying for a I-130 from my brother but I saw it took at least 10 years. (I live in UK so won't be a huge backlog for my country) I then looked up ways to get into the US quicker and I saw the K3 Visa, I looked on multiple websites and some said it was for a spouse and others said a fiance, I am confused and hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Thanks

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 19th 2016 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Added Moderator note.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply for a K-3 Visa while waiting for an I-130 to be accepted?

Originally Posted by james122
I have researched applying for a I-130 from my brother but I saw it took at least 10 years. (I live in UK so won't be a huge backlog for my country) I then looked up ways to get into the US quicker and I saw the K3 Visa, I looked on multiple websites and some said it was for a spouse and others said a fiance, I am confused and hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Thanks
From the uscis website..

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...mmigrant-visas
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I apply for a K-3 Visa while waiting for an I-130 to be accepted?

10 years would be optimistic.

Are you going to marry him?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Default Can I make a temporary work visa permanent?

I was wondering if i could go to the US on a temporary work visa and then have the employer sponsor you for a permanent job and stay in the US?

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I make a temporary work visa permanent?

I was wondering if i could go to the US on a temporary work visa and then have the employer sponsor you for a permanent job and stay in the US?

Thanks
The US doesn't have 'temporary work visas'

Please read this to find out what visa you might qualify for an employer to apply for.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually it does and they are mentioned on that link.

H and L are the most common.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Boiler
Actually it does and they are mentioned on that link.

H and L are the most common.
Yes, but he can't just go, an employer has to sponsor him. I suspect the OP was looking at something like the WHV of Australia, or the IEC Canada type visa.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mike, what I think the OP is trying to achieve isn't possible. The only way to get a work visa is to get sponsored by an employer, you can't just rock up on some sort of interim or short term visa and the later switch over to a longer term visa.

There are exceptions, such as the "work experience" period of an F-1, but they don't apply to the OP's situation.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2016 at 11:36 am.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Or perhaps the OP meant the process of coming to the USA via an employment-based visa and then becoming a US PR.

Maybe the OP will clarify. ..

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

K-3 is only for the spouse of a USC. That doesn't apply to you.

If you were reading that a K-3 is for the fiancé of a USC, that's incorrect. That is a K-1 visa.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Or perhaps the OP meant the process of coming to the USA via an employment-based visa and then becoming a US PR. ....
His other post says he is being sponsored by his brother, and wants something quicker than that.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
His other post says he is being sponsored by his brother, and wants something quicker than that.
This is correct, I know that trying to get a temporary work permit while having an I-130 is processing will most likely be denied so I would like to know any quicker ways to get residency in the US, I thought possibly by getting a temporary work permit I could then be sponsored by that employer to keep me on full time and therefore grant me permanent residency.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:06 pm

This is correct, I know that trying to get a temporary work permit while having an I-130 is processing will most likely be denied so I would like to know any quicker ways to get residency in the US, I thought possibly by getting a temporary work permit I could then be sponsored by that employer to keep me on full time and therefore grant me permanent residency.
What do you mean by "temporary work permit"? The US has nothing by that name, nor anything that works like the short term work visas that Canada and Australia offer.

Tell us more about your education, qualifications, work experience, and life, and we might be able to offer suggestions.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What do you mean by "temporary work permit"? The US has nothing by that name, nor anything that works like the short term work visas that Canada and Australia offer.

Tell us more about your education, qualifications, work experience, and life, and we might be able to offer suggestions.
I mean a non-immigrant work visa, in terms of qualifications and work experience I'm only 17 so going to college and further education is a last resort option for me as I would rather not, but as full non-immigrant visas require you to have that I may have to. I was simply curious if I could have a temporary non-immigrant visa and have that become a permanent one.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:19 pm

Please clarify "temporary work permit". For you, the only way to work in the USA right now is to get a US employer to sponsor a work visa, or to transfer to the USA via your current employer, if they have a presence in the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.