Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

I was born in December. I started kindergarten at age 4 (a few months before turning 5). I graduated high school at age 17 and started university that same fall, so still 17 years old. Didn't skip any grades.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: james122 - many questions re immigration to USA via sibling & other options

In Michigan, the cutoff is that the child must have their 5th birthday before December. However, a parent can override that if they want and put their child into school anyway(even if the school disagrees that the child is ready!).
Anyway - I agree that the original poster needs to experience adult life (living away from home, working and paying bills) before deciding to move to the US.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I was born in December. I started kindergarten at age 4 (a few months before turning 5). I graduated high school at age 17 and started university that same fall, so still 17 years old. Didn't skip any grades.

Rene
But that doesn't really apply today to new students enrolling in their freshman year, when these days the requirement to be five before starting kindergarten is fairly rigidly applied, and often children are held bank at age five or repeat a year somewhere before they reach grade 12.

My daughter's school seems to have 5%-10% (maybe 1-2 per class) of children a year behind having been directed into a pre-K program at age 5, rather than kindergarten. One girl was bumped out of my daughter's kindergarten class into the pre-K program a month or two after the school year started.

A article a few years ago reported in NC on the growth in the number of students "aging-out" of high school at age 20 before graduation.

FWIW my sister, in the UK, skipped a year age around 9-10 (the school ran two hybrid grade 4-5 classes, where you could do one or both years, but ensured that those girls who only did one of the two years moved up to grade 6 with a good number of class mates, some who did one year with them, and some a year older who had taken both the hybrid 4-5 years), and didn't reach her 18th birthday until 8 months after leaving school.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 24th 2016 at 7:03 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 8:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I make a temporary work visa permanent?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They must have skipped a year somewhere then. While rules vary slightly from state to state, generally a child has to be five in or around August or September to start kindergarten. They then would conventionally complete 13 years of school, and therefore reach their 18th birthday before starting university in the autumn thirteen years after starting kindergarten. For a child born in October, they would have their 19th birthday shortly after starting university.
You may be right, they entered US education at grades 4 and 2 coming from England, and were young-ish in their grade from then on. However, having worked in a college for many years, I know that a fairly high proportion of entering first year students are seventeen. It makes a difference for student services, since they are not yet adults at age 17...
Old Feb 24th 2016, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Forgive me, but you're an idiot.
honest to god, you're becoming as annoying as a Klingon glob fly.
Ian's comments are the most entertaining thing about this thread!

Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DottM
Ian's comments are the most entertaining thing about this thread!

EMR would blow his head.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that doesn't really apply today to new students enrolling in their freshman year, when these days the requirement to be five before starting kindergarten is fairly rigidly applied, and often children are held bank at age five or repeat a year somewhere before they reach grade 12.

My daughter's school seems to have 5%-10% (maybe 1-2 per class) of children a year behind having been directed into a pre-K program at age 5, rather than kindergarten. One girl was bumped out of my daughter's kindergarten class into the pre-K program a month or two after the school year started.

A article a few years ago reported in NC on the growth in the number of students "aging-out" of high school at age 20 before graduation.

FWIW my sister, in the UK, skipped a year age around 9-10 (the school ran two hybrid grade 4-5 classes, where you could do one or both years, but ensured that those girls who only did one of the two years moved up to grade 6 with a good number of class mates, some who did one year with them, and some a year older who had taken both the hybrid 4-5 years), and didn't reach her 18th birthday until 8 months after leaving school.
My 17 year old daughter turns 18 in April and is a freshman at college in MD.
Didn't so much skip a year more was placed accordingly in elementary school due to starting school in the UK. Has always been the youngest but never been an issue for her.

Reception in the UK, 1st and 2nd grade in the US, years 3 & 4 in the UK returning to 5th grade onwards in the US.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
My 17 year old daughter turns 18 in April and is a freshman at college in MD.
Didn't so much skip a year more was placed accordingly in elementary school due to starting school in the UK. Has always been the youngest but never been an issue for her.

Reception in the UK, 1st and 2nd grade in the US, years 3 & 4 in the UK returning to 5th grade onwards in the US.
I never said it doesn't happen, and as you yourself said "she has always been the youngest", so proving my point that starting at university while still only 17 is relatively uncommon.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 25th 2016 at 11:53 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Would the visa process be any quicker if the OP's brother were to legally adopt him???
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Would the visa process be any quicker if the OP's brother were to legally adopt him???
Assuming it were possible (and I don't think it is), he'll be 18 soon - legally an adult - and so not eligible for adoption anyway.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:19 pm

Assuming it were possible (and I don't think it is), he'll be 18 soon - legally an adult - and so not eligible for adoption anyway. ....
Adoption of an adult is legally possible, and can have some beneficial consequences, but is ineffective for immigration and citizenship purposes.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james122
I have researched applying for a I-130 from my brother but I saw it took at least 10 years. (I live in UK so won't be a huge backlog for my country) I then looked up ways to get into the US quicker and I saw the K3 Visa, I looked on multiple websites and some said it was for a spouse and others said a fiance, I am confused and hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Thanks
As I mentioned in another thread, I worked out recently using State Dept. figures that if you were from the UK (i.e. not limited by country) that if you had an I-130 filed for you in June 2011 (which is where USCIS currently are in processing petitions) that a visa number would become available in November 2041 assuming everyone applied for a visa (which isn't likely, but you'd clearly be waiting in excess of twenty years).

Currently USCIS is sitting on approx. 900,000 4th preference petitions and the annual quota is 65,000. Most of those are probably from Mexicans, etc. who have to wait longer but if you were to apply today I reckon you would be easily waiting 30+ years for a visa.

It's still worth doing in case Congress raises the quota, but I wouldn't hold your breath.