Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J2 visa - maintaining UK employment contract

J2 visa - maintaining UK employment contract

Old Aug 29th 2021, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Willspence1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J2 visa - maintaining UK employment contract

Hi all,

First time poster - I've tried using the search function for my query but I can't seem to find the answer, but I do apologise if this has already been posted.

My wife has been offered a fellowship in Pasadena which qualifies her for a J1 visa and NIE. It is a short exchange of 4 months. I am hoping to join as her J2 dependant.

We have enough savings to cover us for the whole period, and I will not be looking for work whilst I am out there. However, I will potentially be using an extended period of annual leave from my job in the UK whilst still maintaining my employment there (but not doing any work for them or my job whilst out there). I plan to return to the UK for a period to continue working before rejoining my wife at the end and using more annual leave. My questions are:

1.) Does me using annual leave to accompany my wife (maintaining my UK contract and the salary payments that come with that) count as "working" in the US, even though I will not be performing my job whilst out there?

2.) am I right in thinking I can return to my job in the UK midway through my J2 visa period to work, and then come back out to the US using my annual leave?

Thanks in advance for any help!

​​
Old Aug 29th 2021, 7:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J2 visa - maintaining UK employment contract

Originally Posted by Willspence1
Hi all,

First time poster - I've tried using the search function for my query but I can't seem to find the answer, but I do apologise if this has already been posted.

My wife has been offered a fellowship in Pasadena which qualifies her for a J1 visa and NIE. It is a short exchange of 4 months. I am hoping to join as her J2 dependant.

We have enough savings to cover us for the whole period, and I will not be looking for work whilst I am out there. However, I will potentially be using an extended period of annual leave from my job in the UK whilst still maintaining my employment there (but not doing any work for them or my job whilst out there). I plan to return to the UK for a period to continue working before rejoining my wife at the end and using more annual leave. My questions are:

1.) Does me using annual leave to accompany my wife (maintaining my UK contract and the salary payments that come with that) count as "working" in the US, even though I will not be performing my job whilst out there?

2.) am I right in thinking I can return to my job in the UK midway through my J2 visa period to work, and then come back out to the US using my annual leave?

Thanks in advance for any help!

​​
People who come on vacation and business trips don’t terminate their employment before coming here so you should be OK if you are not working. That is a lot more leave than many US based people get so maybe bring a pay slip showing all the untaken leave you have accrued and/or a letter from HR confirming the dates you will be on leave that confirms you are not working the dates you are in the US.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 7:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. No
2. Yes

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2021, 10:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered that any income payment received while in the US, even annual leave payments, may possibly be subject to US taxation?
Old Aug 30th 2021, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Willspence1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Have you considered that any income payment received while in the US, even annual leave payments, may possibly be subject to US taxation?
I guess that's what I was wondering but I'm not too sure what the answer is.

With regards to my second question, is there any period of time to which I, as a J2 visa holder, can stay out of the US before returning? I may need to come back to the UK fairly soon after arriving for a work commitment that may last around a month, but then would look to return immediately back to the US to accompany my wife whilst she remains there. Would an extended period out of the US impact on my J2?
Old Aug 30th 2021, 12:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willspence1
I guess that's what I was wondering but I'm not too sure what the answer is.

With regards to my second question, is there any period of time to which I, as a J2 visa holder, can stay out of the US before returning? I may need to come back to the UK fairly soon after arriving for a work commitment that may last around a month, but then would look to return immediately back to the US to accompany my wife whilst she remains there. Would an extended period out of the US impact on my J2?
The IRS is a better place to look for those details:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ien-tax-status

I think there are also special rules around J1 visas:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/taxa...ion-status-j-1

Old Aug 30th 2021, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

J2 needs an EAD so work will not be possible.