J1 whilst awaiting I-130 approval

Old Apr 2nd 2001, 8:30 am
evalcampbell

Hey all, Just wondered what your thoughts were on my chances of successfully
obtaining a J1 whilst our I-130 is pending. I have a great opportunity to spend a
couple of months in the US doing a study module, which will count towards my medical
degree - much better than a couple of months in yucky London! We filled the I-130
back in February, and have a NOA, so thats now going to sit in Texas till hell
freezes over (although judging by the weather over here recently....), and this study
module is in July. I don't know if I can saunter in on a tourist visa, firstly the
'piss off you're an immigration risk' line would kind of put the dampers on gaining
credit for my module (and its something I have to pass to take finals) and besides
I'm not entirely sure that I can legally do it on a waiver anyway, I'm doing
medicine, and there's bound to be patient contact, so I'll need a J1 to allow me to
touch people! What do you experts out there think, is there any point in my trying to
organise study in the US, or should I resign myself to the dull, air-conditionedless
(ha like we'd need it) summer in London. Of course this is purely a great career move
and nothing to do with the advantage of not being 5000 miles away from my hubby and
being able to spend a whole 2 months of actually living as man and wife or anything!
Love and hugs to all those waiting like we are (and those that have done their
penance!) Eva

Old Apr 5th 2001, 4:23 pm
Michelle and/or Gord

>
obtaining a
    >
couple of
    >
    >
the
    >
till
    >
recently....), and
    >

Um....you have a long wait in front of you for an I-130.

>
    >
    >
    >
I'm
    >
to
    >

Well, you can enter the US on another type of visa while you wait, including the visa
waiver, but you need to be able to convince the INS person at the point of entry that
you will not overstay or do anything else naughty while your in the US.

>
    >
    >
this is
    >
being
    >
    >
    >
their
    >

The J-1 is a study visa?(not sure of the specifics of that type) but if the embassy
in London grants it, you may still be questioned in the US upon entry, however if you
HAVE to return to the UK in order to obtain your qualification, I'd say that was
pretty good evidence of your intent to return to the UK and you should be able to
convince them. To be honest in my experience the horror stories about point of entry
officials are just that, horror stories. Yes these people are strict, but they are
usually fair.

There is always the chance that you will get rejected, but it can't hurt to apply at
the embassy for your J-1 and ask them for advice as well, can it?