J1 Visa question - panic!

Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

panaga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Visa question - panic!

Hello All!

First of all I have to thank everyone for their very imformative posts! However, now I come with some specific queries!

I have been offered a job - (training program!) - in a restauraunt in the States. However, my experience is just around the 5 year mark. How strict are they on this?!? (As i have noo professional qualifications in hospitality.)

I have refernces for the jobs, but do I need pay slips etc?

I am 23 and so own no property in the UK, how do I demonstrate my intent to return?

Is there anyway to get a waiver on the 2 year 'return to home' obligation? (JUST in case something comes up job-wise while I'm over there?))

2 'host companies' have said that my experience is not enough (4 years 10 months + 5 months of private catering while at secondary school) - one ompany has said I have a "good chance of getting the visa", what do you think?

What kind of questions should I expect to answer at the interview? I am so so anxious to get back to the states (I was there for under 90 days this summer on the VWP travelling). Will this effect my visa? Am I panicing over nothing?!?!

I do have an MA (hons) in History of Art - would I be affected if I was to be granted the J1 for hospitality, and then later on in my life wanted to apply for a J1 in an art based training program?

Any advice much appreciated! Many thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Visa question - panic!

Originally Posted by panaga
Hello All!

First of all I have to thank everyone for their very imformative posts! However, now I come with some specific queries!

I have been offered a job - (training program!) - in a restauraunt in the States. However, my experience is just around the 5 year mark. How strict are they on this?!? (As i have noo professional qualifications in hospitality.)

I have refernces for the jobs, but do I need pay slips etc?

I am 23 and so own no property in the UK, how do I demonstrate my intent to return?

Is there anyway to get a waiver on the 2 year 'return to home' obligation? (JUST in case something comes up job-wise while I'm over there?))

2 'host companies' have said that my experience is not enough (4 years 10 months + 5 months of private catering while at secondary school) - one ompany has said I have a "good chance of getting the visa", what do you think?

What kind of questions should I expect to answer at the interview? I am so so anxious to get back to the states (I was there for under 90 days this summer on the VWP travelling). Will this effect my visa? Am I panicing over nothing?!?!

I do have an MA (hons) in History of Art - would I be affected if I was to be granted the J1 for hospitality, and then later on in my life wanted to apply for a J1 in an art based training program?

Any advice much appreciated! Many thanks!
they take anybody ..you are just slave Labor
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Do you mean they accept anyone for the J1 visa? As I dont think thats strictly true? I have heard of a lot of ppl getting denied J1s and am trying to avoid the same fate!

Just found out that im also eleible for the lottery as was born in holland, even though a UK citizen? What do you think?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Just found out that im also eleible for the lottery as was born in holland, even though a UK citizen? What do you think?
Same as any other lottery - if you don't enter it you have a guaranteed 0% chance of winning ...
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean they accept anyone for the J1 visa? As I dont think thats strictly true? I have heard of a lot of ppl getting denied J1s and am trying to avoid the same fate!

I mean the training program
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Oh really? Do you think Im panicing over nothing? How do I apply for the waiver to the 2 year ban? Is it likely they will allow me to for go this?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How do I apply for the waiver to the 2 year ban?
What "2 year ban"? Do you mean the 2-year Home Residency Requirement? A five second Google search found this: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html. I suggest you use Google more!

Be aware - you will not know whether or not you have the 2-year HRR *until* you actually get the visa in your passport! You also need to know that you can NOT get any other visa until you either complete the 2-year HRR or you get the waiver.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

How likely is it that they will grant me the waiver?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since you ask... it's not likely.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:47 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i believe i read that even if you marry a USC - you still have to wait out the 2 year requirement back home before you can apply for your spouse visa. If thats true then i would estimate your chances as next to impossible!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:37 am
Just Joined

noxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to all

i had 2 different J-1's around 4 years apart and neither of them made me subject to the 2 year rule..... i think its mostly to do with dr's and nurses, those types of occupations.... the waiver is a different document if it is required, and is usually to do with home government requiring that you return home to use the skills that they have a vested interest in, ie Dr's and nurses skills...
the questions i was asked at the interview were few and very easy, that was for a J-1 traineeship too, with a 3rd party sponsor, Interexchange i believe they were called.... it was all pretty straight forward, i don't remember the exact amount of experience your supposed to have, but i had a pretty relevant BA degree in Fine Art, plus around 3/4 years experience and i don't even remember if that was a question at the embassy....
I also didnt have any proof that i was definitely returning to the UK, apart from regular family and friends, but they didn't ask about that either....
I think your home country has a lot to do with these outcomes, and being from the UK is definitely an advantage in this case...
i think that as long as the paperwork looks good and you can answer the questions you'll be fine....

I don't know about changing to another program though.... at least not during your current visa....
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:50 am
Just Joined

noxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to allnoxreallyxhonest is a name known to all

Oh, i almost forgot....
i also applied for the DV lottery last year (2011) but didn't win.....
its not very likely and i read a few horror stories about people being denied a visa because they had previously entered the DV lottery, so they obviously had intentions of staying illegally or whatever, not sure how legit that was though
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by noxreallyxhonest
i think its mostly to do with dr's and nurses, those types of occupations...
Umm... no.

i read a few horror stories about people being denied a visa because they had previously entered the DV lottery...
Rubbish!

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... no.

Rubbish!

Ian

maybe i should clarify....

There are three conditions that will subject a J-1 visa applicant to the Two-Year Rule:

Government funding - either home government or US government
Exchange Visitor Skills List - the UK is not even on this list
Graduate medical education or training - ie Dr's and nurses

It usually happens when the applicants skills are in demand in their home country.... no offense to the OP, but i do not believe that hospitality skills are particularly scarce in the UK....

And as for the 2nd thing, it could well be rubbish, but it could also show an intent to overstay any visa.....

jus' sayin'