Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J1 to H1, do I need to wait for waiver?

Wikiposts

J1 to H1, do I need to wait for waiver?

Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:24 am
Just Joined

scusyxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 to H1, do I need to wait for waiver?

Hi,
I am a visiting scholar in institute in one of the colleges in US. I have a J1 visa till June 15 which has HRR. I got an offer here and they are planning to apply for H1. I am wondering that do they still file application for H1 without waiting for me to have J1 waiver? When I got the waiver, I could apply for status change.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:31 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: J1 to H1, do I need to wait for waiver?

Originally Posted by scusyxx
Hi,
I am a visiting scholar in institute in one of the colleges in US. I have a J1 visa till June 15 which has HRR. I got an offer here and they are planning to apply for H1. I am wondering that do they still file application for H1 without waiting for me to have J1 waiver? When I got the waiver, I could apply for status change.
Are you absolutely sure you can get the waiver? If not, it's a pretty risky move on the company's part to spend the money to file for H1-B, in case things don't work out. Are they aware of your J-1 Home Residence Requirement? Also, if your potential employer is an academic/non-profit institution, there's no annual quota and you don't neccessarily have to rush into filing a H1-B petition now. The filing for H1-B spots under quota just started for this upcoming fiscal year, and the quota hasn't been met yet.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:20 am
Just Joined

scusyxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Are you absolutely sure you can get the waiver? If not, it's a pretty risky move on the company's part to spend the money to file for H1-B, in case things don't work out. Are they aware of your J-1 Home Residence Requirement? Also, if your potential employer is an academic/non-profit institution, there's no annual quota and you don't neccessarily have to rush into filing a H1-B petition now. The filing for H1-B spots under quota just started for this upcoming fiscal year, and the quota hasn't been met yet.
Yes I can get the waiver but might take 3 months or longer, by this time my J expires
Potential employer is an academic institute.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:09 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scusyxx
Yes I can get the waiver but might take 3 months or longer, by this time my J expires
Potential employer is an academic institute.
An Academic institution is exempt from the H1-B annual cap, so technically it can file for the H1-B petition anytime in the year. You should discuss your J-1 Waiver situation with them as well, so they're prepared as well.

My concern for your case is EVEN IF you successfully file and get a H1-B approved, your waiver doesn't arrive until AFTER your J-1 Expire. Now I don't know if J Waiver is one of those things that once you file a petition, then it will be valid unless it's later on denied.

If not, then that means you'll overstay your J status before you will have a chance to adjust status to H1-B. Bear in mind that adjustment of status itself can take months. You probably should leave the U.S. before your J status expires, and apply for H1-B visa at a U.S. consulate/embassy overseas instead.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
An Academic institution is exempt from the H1-B annual cap, so technically it can file for the H1-B petition anytime in the year. You should discuss your J-1 Waiver situation with them as well, so they're prepared as well.

My concern for your case is EVEN IF you successfully file and get a H1-B approved, your waiver doesn't arrive until AFTER your J-1 Expire. Now I don't know if J Waiver is one of those things that once you file a petition, then it will be valid unless it's later on denied.

If not, then that means you'll overstay your J status before you will have a chance to adjust status to H1-B. Bear in mind that adjustment of status itself can take months. You probably should leave the U.S. before your J status expires, and apply for H1-B visa at a U.S. consulate/embassy overseas instead.

What adjustment of status??
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:44 pm
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by meauxna
What adjustment of status??
I meant to say change of status from J-1 to H1-B as the OP was thinking of doing.

Haven't you had one of those days when you were in a hurry and typed really fast and got things wrong?

Last edited by lifehouse51; Apr 13th 2010 at 2:36 pm.