Wikiposts

J1 Exchange Visa with DR10 advice

Old Dec 7th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Aquaman92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Exchange Visa with DR10 advice

Hi All,

I made a stupid mistake when 17 and long story cut short I received a DR10 (Drink Driving) resulting in a 9 month ban, no points and no fine.

After many stressful months of research and a few years fearing I could not enter the US, this summer I enjoyed a wonderful month long trip around the US using ESTA partly in thanks to the helpful people on this forum pointing me in the right direction to find out whether Drink Driving is a crime involving moral turpitude (IT ISNT ) and if I was in-fact eligible to use ESTA (The short answer is YES for people who may read this for advice on a similar matter! if you have only ONE drink driving conviction and NO OTHER criminal convictions that ARE C.I.M.T's you are perfectly legally eligible to travel using ESTA:

My question is; as a 21 year old student now and the conviction was spent awhile ago I'd very much like to join friends and participate in a popular summer camp programme followed by a period of travel however I'm worried that my previous conviction although it's over 3 years old will result in a Visa denial and therefore I won't even be able to use ESTA again for a holiday in the summer and indeed for an extended period of time.

I fully understand and appreciate every single case is different and at the end of the day its up to the person you have your interview with but any information regarding my chances of being granted a visa or any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance
Blake
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Exchange Visa with DR10 advice

Originally Posted by Aquaman92
My question is...
You don't actually ask a question... everything that follows is simply a series of statements.

I'm worried that my previous conviction although it's over 3 years old will result in a Visa denial...
It likely won't.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Terribly sorry! Was trying to do 5 things at once. What I meant to ask was what is the likelihood of me being refused a J1 Visa for the purpose of participating in a summer camp programme ?

Thanks again in advance
Blake
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant to ask was what is the likelihood of me being refused a J1 Visa for the purpose of participating in a summer camp programme ?
Based on what you've written, I suggest you have at least a 75% chance of getting the visa. If you don't apply, there is a 100% chance that you won't get one! So, there's nothing to lose but the application fee.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 7th 2013 at 10:39 am.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

That is very true indeed!

I maybe wrong in thinking this but if I was to apply and unfortunately wasn't granted a visa am I correct in assuming I wouldn't be eligible to use my existing ESTA for travel again due to the visa denial (valid until Dec 14 ) ?

Thanks again
Blake
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I maybe wrong in thinking this but if I was to apply and unfortunately wasn't granted a visa am I correct in assuming I wouldn't be eligible to use my existing ESTA for travel again due to the visa denial (valid until Dec 14 ) ?
That's correct. If the J-1 visa is denied, you will have to reapply for ESTA and declare the visa denial, which could in turn get your ESTA denied for a period of time (figure 6 - 12 months or so).

Rene
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

In your opinion what's the chance of being referred for a medical given the crime is over 3 years old? I appreciate every case is different but with the added cost of the medical and additional day in London + travel I'd have to re-evaluate

Regards
Blake
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:31 am
Account Closed

In your opinion what's the chance of being referred for a medical given the crime is over 3 years old?
Since you ask, 50/50.

I appreciate every case is different but with the added cost of the medical and additional day in London + travel I'd have to re-evaluate
There is a definite cost/benefit ratio at play here... but if you want the visa, just go for it. If cost is an issue in this, I suggest you don't really want the visa enough to go the distance - and if that's the case, best just to move on with life.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

I do really want to the Visa and eventually to move over with work after graduating however if I was denied it would be an inconvenience as I have trips planned later in the year. At the end of the day if I don't try I'll never know so may as well just go for it!
Thanks again
Blake