Wikiposts

J1 Camp to F1 PhD

Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

paolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nice
Default J1 Camp to F1 PhD

Hi all,

So my plans to move over to the USA to be with my girlfriend finally look like they may be moving somewhere (....albeit a temporary fix for a potential marriage later in time). It's looking likely that I'll carry out a PhD discourse at a University in the USA beginning in August 2015 sine my MSc is finished in the fall of this year (.....yeah its a while away just now but these things do creep up on you so can never be too prepared).

However, I've been offered a promotion for the summer of 2015 at the summer camp I've worked at for the past two summers on a J1 visa (..... I can't make it over this summer because of the MSc). I would really like to go back to camp before starting my PhD although I was just wondering what the process is like for a J1 to F1 change whilst in the USA - I believe that is possible but all my searches on BE are providing F1 to PR AOS. Is it even worth the hassle and costs? I'd hate for it to be >$1000 to change to an F1 status. There wouldn't be enough time to return home after camp and be back two weeks later to start so any comments are welcome.

Regards,
Paul
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Camp to F1 PhD

Don't bother - the costs are prohibitive.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

You can file online, and the $290 fee doesn't seem so bad.

I've never done it. Perhaps civilservant can elaborate as to the downsides?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

paolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nice

Originally Posted by henryh
http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

You can file online, and the $290 fee doesn't seem so bad.

I've never done it. Perhaps civilservant can elaborate as to the downsides?
henryh thanks for the link. That puts my mind at a great deal of ease. I was beginning to panic somewhat after civilservant mentioned not to bother.

Obviously applications for university are due well in advance of the summer exchange programmes beginning and I would have all the SEVIS paperwork for an F visa application before I even left the UK on my J visa. Would I face any problems entering the USA with intent to adjust to an F-visa? Should I disclose this information to the officer?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

You'd apply for the F1 in London before you left for the summer with the camp, so have both visas in the passport and then change status to your F1 with a COS application?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orangepants
You'd apply for the F1 in London before you left for the summer with the camp, so have both visas in the passport and then change status to your F1 with a COS application?
Hi Orangepants,

I'm not sure if that is a question to me? If so I don't know how to answer it.

So you are suggesting that I:
  • Apply for both J1 and F1 visa prior to departing for the USA
  • Attend two separate interviews*
  • Enter the USA on the J1 status
  • File I-539 at some point during the summer and change to the F1 visa in my passport

*Wouldn't this pose problems at the consulate in that I'm supposed to be able to provide proof of intentions to return home for a J1 application interview and then I show up for an F1 application interview a few weeks later? Or would I undergo one interview process?

I wasn't aware that it was possible to have two USA visas in a passport at any one time?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, a terminology nitpick: one can "adjust" status from nonimmigrant to permanent resident, but one "changes" status from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category. If you end up discussing your plans with a CBP officer, use the correct word to avoid setting off alarm bells.

Also, study and note the difference between a visa and an immigration status. For instance: a visa is a travel document used only to enter the US and doesn't have much to do with your status while in the US. You don't necessarily need an F-1 visa in order to change status from J-1 to F-1, but you do need other prerequisites for the F-1 status (e.g. SEVIS registration and an I-20)

Last edited by henryh; Feb 11th 2014 at 7:11 am.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by henryh
BTW, a terminology nitpick: one can "adjust" status from nonimmigrant to permanent resident, but one "changes" status from one nonimmigrant category to another nonimmigrant category. If you end up discussing your plans with a CBP officer, use the correct word to avoid setting off alarm bells.

Also, study and note the difference between a visa and an immigration status. For instance: a visa is a travel document used only to enter the US and doesn't have much to do with your status while in the US. You don't necessarily need an F-1 visa in order to change status from J-1 to F-1, but you do need other prerequisites for the F-1 status (e.g. SEVIS registration and an I-20)
Hi henryh,

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll bear it in mind.

So say I enter the USA on a J-1 visa (my initial travel document) for summer camp and I change my non-immigration status to F-1 during the summer (e.g. SEVIS registration and an I-20 prerequisites adhered to) am I required to have both a J-1 visa and an F-1 visa in my passport before I enter the USA or will I send my passport off whilst I am in the USA to have this placed inside. Albeit I am requesting a change in status from J-1 to F-1 but wouldn't I require an F visa to reenter the USA if say I go home to the UK for Christmas?

Paul
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolomcmillan
Hi Orangepants,

I'm not sure if that is a question to me? If so I don't know how to answer it.

So you are suggesting that I:
  • Apply for both J1 and F1 visa prior to departing for the USA
  • Attend two separate interviews*
  • Enter the USA on the J1 status
  • File I-539 at some point during the summer and change to the F1 visa in my passport

*Wouldn't this pose problems at the consulate in that I'm supposed to be able to provide proof of intentions to return home for a J1 application interview and then I show up for an F1 application interview a few weeks later? Or would I undergo one interview process?

I wasn't aware that it was possible to have two USA visas in a passport at any one time?
Yes I was just posing the question to you. I don't know either but looks like henryh does! Yes to get back in you'd need the stamped visa.

NB yes you can have 2 visas in your passport - I have.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So say I enter the USA on a J-1 visa (my initial travel document) for summer camp and I change my non-immigration status to F-1 during the summer (e.g. SEVIS registration and an I-20 prerequisites adhered to) am I required to have both a J-1 visa and an F-1 visa in my passport before I enter the USA
No.

... or will I send my passport off whilst I am in the USA to have this placed inside.
No.

Albeit I am requesting a change in status from J-1 to F-1 but wouldn't I require an F visa to reenter the USA if say I go home to the UK for Christmas?
Yes.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No.

No.

Yes.

Rene
Hi Rene,

Do you know how I would go about getting an F visa in my passport then once I had successfully changed status from J-1 to F-1 (.....if of course my application is successful when the time comes)?

Paul
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know how I would go about getting an F visa in my passport then once I had successfully changed status from J-1 to F-1 (.....if of course my application is successful when the time comes)?
Yes, when you leave the USA, make an appointment at the US Embassy in the country abroad. They will issue an F-1 visa for your return to the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Yes, when you leave the USA, make an appointment at the US Embassy in the country abroad. They will issue an F-1 visa for your return to the USA.

Rene
Thanks Rene,

I presume that I would just go about making a normal visa application? Or would it be a different application process because I would already have the F status? I feel the former is probably correct.

Paul
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:19 am

Thanks Rene,

I presume that I would just go about making a normal visa application? Or would it be a different application process because I would already have the F status? I feel the former is probably correct.

Paul
I believe it's the normal visa application process.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

I believe it's the normal visa application process.

Rene
Thanks Rene, that's great.

So, basically I'd file I-539 with $290 to change to F status from J-1 during the summer. I'd then book an appointment when I came home for Christmas with the London consulate and pay the visa processing feee ($140)? I wouldn't have the I-20 any longer as I would have forwarded it with I-539 and I'd already be SEVIS registered so I wouldn't pay the $200? Would I be correct/wrong in my reasoning?

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.