Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J-1 VISA advice for New York - Marry or not to marry?

J-1 VISA advice for New York - Marry or not to marry?

Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

KirstyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J-1 VISA advice for New York - Marry or not to marry?

Hi I need lots of advice please.

So I am in the process of applying for my J-1 VISA after being offered a job in New York. I really want my boyfriend to come with me. We have been together now for approximately 1 and 1/2 years, but he has been away teaching english in Korea for half of that. It seems to quick to get married so he is looking for a job in NY too, so hopefully he can get someone to sponser his VISA. So far he is planning to come out with me and stay on a 3 month tourist visa while he looks for work.

However, if he gets to the states and can't find a job would we then be able to get married and him go on my VISA? How easy would this process be? I couldn't bare being apart again for any great length of time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kirsty

Last edited by KirstyC; Jan 6th 2011 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J-1 VISA advice for New York - Marry or not to marry?

Originally Posted by KirstyC View Post
So far he is planning to come out with me and stay on a 3 month tourist visa while he looks for work.
An actual B-2 tourist visa? Or you mean the 90-day allotted time on the VWP? Make sure he has ESTA approval before traveling on the VWP.

However, if he gets to the states and can't find a job would we then be able to get married and him go on my VISA? How easy would this process be? I couldn't bare being apart again for any great length of time.
Very easy. Get married (you can do this in the USA), he pops back to the UK to get his J-2 visa, then joins you in the USA. As a J-2 holder, I believe he can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) so he can work anywhere.

If he's an English teacher, I highly doubt he'll be finding work in the USA anytime soon. I personally would skip the whole VWP looking-for-work visit, and just get married and get him the J-2 to begin with.

This thread actually belongs in the US Immigration forum.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

As a J2 myself I would go ahead and get married now. I think the chance of getting a job + sponsorship on the VWP is slim. As a J2 he will have to wait until he enters the US to apply for an EAD and that takes up to 90 days to arrive - mine have always taken 80ish days, so he wouldn't be able to work for the 1st 3 months after entering anyway.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Hello

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply...I have been drowning in VISA forms . Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post it made me feel much better about the situation. My boyfriend is coming on the VWP (he has just done his ESTA thanks Rene), but if he can't find a job/a place to study we can always consider marriage. The VWP will give us 3 months more together, on our own (not living in our parents houses), which I really feel we need before we get married having just spent a massive time apart last year. Do you know how many times you can travel on a VWP in a year to NY?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply...I have been drowning in VISA forms . Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post it made me feel much better about the situation. My boyfriend is coming on the VWP (he has just done his ESTA thanks Rene), but if he can't find a job/a place to study we can always consider marriage. The VWP will give us 3 months more together, on our own (not living in our parents houses), which I really feel we need before we get married having just spent a massive time apart last year. Do you know how many times you can travel on a VWP in a year to NY?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
The vwp is for a stay of up to 90 days (not 3 months) Make sure he has a return flight probably on day 87 incase of flight delays.
Thenrule of thumb for using the vwp is to spend as much time out of the US as in, therefore 87 days in, fly to UK for 87 and then attempt to return.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone,

We decided to get married, which we did a week ago today and we couldn't be happier . I'm now in NY and he's now in the process of applying for his J-2. If you have any advice (and time to give it) on what he should know for his embassy interview all would be gratefully received.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kirsty
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any advice (and time to give it) on what he should know for his embassy interview all would be gratefully received.
Since the J-2 is a derivative visa, he doesn't really need to know anything. All he needs is proof of your J-1 status and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

We decided to get married, which we did a week ago today and we couldn't be happier . I'm now in NY and he's now in the process of applying for his J-2. If you have any advice (and time to give it) on what he should know for his embassy interview all would be gratefully received.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kirsty
Congratulations