Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I've won the DV lottery but do i want it?

I've won the DV lottery but do i want it?

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've won the DV lottery but do i want it?

Seems like a rational and honorable decision, Mark... my best to you on your new life in Australia!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:26 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you a British citizen? If not, and you only have Indefinite Leave to Remain, you should be fully aware of how your ILR can be lost once you no longer live in the UK.
Originally from Malawi actually, but yes I do have citizenship for the UK. Thanks for the note.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Originally from Malawi actually, but yes I do have citizenship for the UK. Thanks for the note.
Depending on how you got British citizenship, children born to you in Australia may not be British citizens automatically.

Are you naturalised British, or did you get your British citizenship based on a parent?

Home Office leaflet BN4 advises on the status of non-UK born children:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...?view=Standard
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:00 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Depending on how you got British citizenship, children born to you in Australia may not be British citizens automatically.

Are you naturalised British, or did you get your British citizenship based on a parent?

Home Office leaflet BN4 advises on the status of non-UK born children:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/app...?view=Standard
Thanks for the reminder advice on that part. It actually took me 9 years and alot of arguing to get my UK citizenship as I am 3rd generation born outside the UK. So any children of mine I would expect have issues obtaining a Briitish citizenship through me. Unless of course my other half has no issues there.