Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Issued K-1 at Ciudad Juárez!!!!!!

Issued K-1 at Ciudad Juárez!!!!!!

Old Apr 16th 2001, 9:02 am
EA

Esmeralda and I flew in Sunday night, April 8, and at 4:00am we began a long day with
lots of waiting. at 4:00pm she finally exited building D with the K-1 Visa in her
passport and her brown envelope for the POE. We were so prepared by the information I
found here and also by some of the websites we read. Thank you all so much!

Special thanks go out to Greg and Monserrat
(http://www.dallas.net/~gssmith/K-1_Visa/k-1_visa.html), who told us how to process
in one day. That extra day we saved made our day and a half in Mexico City the most
wonderful vacation we've ever had.

Something everyone should know about Juárez. Come prepared! We tried not to talk to
anyone, but every single one of the locals we had to deal with gave us advice and
information about how to process our visa. THEY WERE ALWAYS WRONG! Apparently K-1 is
very uncommon. So, they were telling us about other visas. It can be scary unless
you're sure you know what you have to do. The taxi driver wanted to take us to the
border. The photo shop wanted to review our documents for free. The hotel clerk
wanted to make our clinic appointment at no cost. All I had to do was give him her
passport and cover letter. No way!!! You don't need these people.

Our answer became, "No thanks, our documents have already been filled in perfectly,
and they require no review." Get your information here and now (with the help of
these great people), and just worry about making your appointment times when you're
getting things done in Ciudad Juárez.

I think that's a good general rule for everyone.

For us, this was the most important step. We will be so much happier and stronger
when we are together for the next step - AOS.

Thanks again. More info later...

Kirby & Esmeralda (Uncivil, Catholic Wedding July 7 [haha], Entry July 8, Civil
Marriage July 9 or 10)