Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Irish, with British subject passport travelling to USA

Irish, with British subject passport travelling to USA

Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice
Default Irish, with British subject passport travelling to USA

I need advice please.

My mum is Irish, she has a british subject passport and lives in Scotland. She is travelling to the US later this year (just for a visit). She has been advised by someone that she now requires an Irish Passport to gain entry to the USA. Can anyone throw some light on this for me please?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish, with British subject passport travelling to USA

Did the person who told her look like this?

Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ramac
I need advice please.

My mum is Irish, she has a british subject passport and lives in Scotland. She is travelling to the US later this year (just for a visit). She has been advised by someone that she now requires an Irish Passport to gain entry to the USA. Can anyone throw some light on this for me please?
I may be mistaken, but i think that people holding British Subject passports are ineligible for the Visa Waiver Program(VWP). In which case she will need a visa (B-2) or a passport from a participating country, such as Ireland.

I may be wrong, and stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable folk on board.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79
I may be mistaken, but i think that people holding British Subject passports are ineligible for the Visa Waiver Program(VWP). In which case she will need a visa (B-2) or a passport from a participating country, such as Ireland.

I may be wrong, and stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable folk on board.
Persons holding British subject status may apply for a United Kingdom passport. However, the British subject passport is not eligible for the United States Visa Waiver Program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...lic_of_Ireland
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

OK

From what you say, she does require an Irish Passport or a B2 Visa.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. If this is in fact the case, where to start for a B2 visa?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. If this is in fact the case, where to start for a B2 visa?

Thanks
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...niv/apply.html
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:08 am
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Post Re: Irish, with British subject passport travelling to USA

One of my friends mum had the same problem, she was so mad because she classes herself as British but her British Passport says British Subject and she got stopped at US Immigration...they let her in but I'm talking pre 09/11....
She got a visa if I remember rightly afterwards but it would have been much easier and cheaper for her to just get an Irish Passport...
It doesn't take that long to do and is cheaper than UK Passport.

LAL
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

OK

Thanks
Irish passport is probably a better bet -- the B2 is NOT a walk in the park.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the replies.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I need advice please.

As someone else has said, she cannot use the British subject passport on the visa waiver scheme. It doesn't qualify for visa free entry to Canada, either.

Why doesn't she apply for registration as a British citizen? That way she would have a full British citizen passport.

If she has lived in the U.K. for at least 5 years, then registration is extremely straightforward:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...itishnational/