IR-1 interview experience

Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default IR-1 interview experience

Hubby had his interview on Wed and I was forunately added to the list and was able to attend with him. So thought I would share our experience as well as we had a slightly different story because hubby had a 12 year old DUI conviction that I have worried about for the last 6 months.

Our appointment letter stated the time of the interview was 10 am. I am thinking that maybe the time given on the letter is to just spread the amount of people lining up out. We arrived at the Embassy at 8:30 and there was already a huge line outside. Thankfully, it was a dry day in London.

We waited outside for about 45 mins before we made our way through security. Once inside, we spoke with the receptionist who checked hubby's interview appointment letter and put a sticker with his "IV-number" on it. We then made our way up to the waiting room. There were ALOT of people already waiting.

I did notice that at least 90% of the number's being called were "N" numbers, which I believe indicate "Non-Immigrant" visas. There were a handful of "I" numbers being called and the occasional "E" number. (Anyone know what the "E" number is as this was driving me mad trying to figure it out while we were there lol).

After about an hours wait, hubby's number was called to the first window. The oriental lady at this window was very abrupt and at stand off-ish. However, she was quick and thorough and asked for the original and photocopies of all of our supporting documents. She then directed us to the cashier window to pay the $230 visa fee.

We were then in for a long wait....... at just after noon (roughly 2 hour wait) hubby's name was called up to window 15. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go to the window with him, as I have previously read on here that the US spouse was asked to return to there seat while the interview took place. However, I thought I would go and see what happened. Thankfully, the CO was happy for me to be there, he actually commented at the end of the interview that he thinks more US spouses should attend as it shows them how we are with each other.

The CO we had was really young (late 20's I would guess) and very friendly.

Hubby had to take his oath and then we got on to the questions.

Here is what the CO asked hubby and hubby's responses.

"When and how did you meet your wife?" Hubby: "2001- my wife was a dependant of her father in the USAF stationed in Suffolk, where I was currently stationed with the RAF"

"When did you get married" Hubby: "October 2002"

"So its your 10 year anniversary next week, how are you planning on celebrating?" Hubby: "This trip to London, hopefully to celebrate our anniversary and visa approval " (I could have kicked hubby at this point but the CO just laughed.

"Where did your wife live in the States?" Hubby: "Everywhere lol her Dad was in the military so she moved around alot as a child, but the last place she lived in the US was AL."

"Does your wife have any siblings?" Hubby: "Yes, a brother."

"Is her brother married? If so what is his wifes name?" Now this question kinda stumped hubby to begin with. My brother only recently got married and my husband has not yet met his wife, but surprisingly hubby remembered her name- eventually.

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted of a crime?"

Now this is the part that we were both dreading.

Hubby: "Yes, I was convicted of Drink Driving in 2000."

The CO's face was priceless, I think he was actually shocked, he looked at the Police report (which I am guessing was the only thing he had previously looked at as hubby's police report says "No Trace") and asked if hubby had mentioned it at his medical. Hubby said he had. CO then read a tiny paragraph at the bottom of the medical which I am guessing stated that hubby has no signs of being alcohol dependent or something along these lines.

CO moved on to the Affadavit of Supports next. He told me that he wouldn't be able to use mine (which I was already prepared for as my income will not be continuing from the same source once we move.) So he said that he would be using the joint sponsors Affadavit of Support.

He then said "Well, I am now going to approve your Visa! Happy Anniversary!"

He then explained about the "Big envelope" that we are not allowed to open.

So all in all- a very time consuming but painless experience!!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR-1 interview experience

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
He then said "Well, I am now going to approve your Visa! Happy Anniversary!"
Excellent. Congratulations!

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I assume E is for E-1 and E-2 non-immigrant visa applications.

The worst part is sitting in that room, never done it in London but there's no bathroom at the consulate in Calgary and last time I got a visa I was the second to last person called (even though various people arrived after me).

So I went through security at about 9am in the morning and sat there until well after noon and I was absolutely bursting to go to the toilet by the time the consular officer saw me.

Fortunately I just managed to hold out until I got down to the lobby!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Glad everything worked out ok
Old Oct 20th 2012, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Sin715 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!

From everything I keep reading I am not quite sure what the point is in even having appointment times though because they don't seem to keep them? It seems the smartest thing to do is to get there early and they will take you anyway?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. I believe the "E" visas are the investor visas or Entrepreneurial visas
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

mancave3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my interview on Friday. My wife is also attending.
Its kind of strange that the dont expect the spouse to attend as thats the first things our lawyer said to us. It would seem strange to me that a real married couple would not be together at this point unless for some reason your spouse was unable to enter the UK. Anyway wish me luck
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancave3000
Its kind of strange that the dont expect the spouse to attend as thats the first things our lawyer said to us.
Why would the spouse attend? The spouse is a USC and, therefore, has no need of immigration services. The marriage certificate proves you're married!

If your lawyer suggested that you both must attend the interview, he is out of touch with reality!

Ian
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

she does not need to attend and will not be allowed to be part of the interview, but you may if you wish request that she be allowed to come to the embassy with you.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

mancave3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the way my lawyer put it, If my wife stayed in the US while I was over here for 2 years and did not come over, that would be suspect.
Why wouldnt a real wife come over and be with her husband. A real marriage the wife would and should be in the UK with me. Not going to the interview would suggest a non marriage. no?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the way my lawyer put it, If my wife stayed in the US while I was over here for 2 years and did not come over, that would be suspect.
Why wouldnt a real wife come over and be with her husband. A real marriage the wife would and should be in the UK with me. Not going to the interview would suggest a non marriage. no?
No.

Rene
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I think your lawyer is out of touch with what really happens. The day I went most people there where on their own. (That's the ones who got up when an I number was called)
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, depending on the specific circumstances. Visits back and forth might be expected, if possible, but a spouse relocating especially for a limited period would not necessarily be expected.
I can think of many reasons.
Why wouldnt a real wife come over and be with her husband.
I think I start to see the underlying reason for your forum name.
A real marriage the wife would and should be in the UK with me.
No.
Not going to the interview would suggest a non marriage. no?
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

confusedmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Mrs Waring!

Good luck with the move. Your husband has all sorts of fun awaiting him - like retaking driving theory tests! I feel like a teenager again having got my learner permit yesterday!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Thanks confusedmedic! Yes, we both have to do all the driving tests again, but a bit worse for hubby as he is a lorry driver, so also has to redo his CDL too! eeek!

Apart from the driving license, are you all settled??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.