Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview Success [AOS]- Tips (Weird)

Wikiposts

Interview Success [AOS]- Tips (Weird)

Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

airborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura about
Default Interview Success [AOS]- Tips (Weird)

Hey all got my AOS done in Orlando, FL.
We went like 20 minutes before the interview and was called after 30 minutes.
The officer asks us quick questions. How we met, where, when. D.o.b of both of us and then they ask bunch of questions to my wife. Then he asked us to show him the house keys . I didn't have one cause my wife is always home when i get there.
We had the following papers for him. INS PAPERS, Employement letters, Bank statements, Bills, I-94copy, Birth Certificates. Asked for proof of marriage etc and said pictures not valid.. i was like what the... I just got my ssn and all anyways show him the bank statement (both names), and Elect. bill on my wife's name, Internet bill, on my name.
Anyways, he checked his paper work and asked for the original Birth Certificate of me. In my country they dont give u Birth Certificate. It's on the record so they issue u a Passport and state it on the back of the passport your Birth Certificate.
Anyways, he then asked my wife if she is working, same with me. He then said i dont need your letters because it does not make any difference.. We both make like 32k annual.
After that he asked me my co-sponsor's W2's (Brother Citizen..) i told him i cannot get those, he sent it with the RFE and he's in service...
The officer was like, i need time for a decision.. (Seems like something is wrong i thought..) I do not do drugs so i was sure that it was not the medical. Thought about the FBI check. Deng, now im in serious prob. cause if i will be waiting for it, will take forever. {NOPE}
I dont know what happen, then he asked my wife how to say I love you in my language. So she said it, the officer was like, i use to have a gf so i know that. haha

He changed his mind and said no decision where's ur passport. He checked the visa's in there (israel and other countries) and BOOM I-551 Stamp! Took the i-94 too.
WUHUUuuUuuU 15 min questions after questions.
AOS APPROVED! No more worries for some time...
Good luck all! Great experience. Dont worry just be calm and relaxed. Truth and only truth and you're good.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview Success [AOS]- Tips (Weird)

Originally Posted by airborn83
Hey all got my AOS done in Orlando, FL.
We went like 20 minutes before the interview and was called after 30 minutes.
The officer asks us quick questions. How we met, where, when. D.o.b of both of us and then they ask bunch of questions to my wife. Then he asked us to show him the house keys . I didn't have one cause my wife is always home when i get there.
We had the following papers for him. INS PAPERS, Employement letters, Bank statements, Bills, I-94copy, Birth Certificates. Asked for proof of marriage etc and said pictures not valid.. i was like what the... I just got my ssn and all anyways show him the bank statement (both names), and Elect. bill on my wife's name, Internet bill, on my name.
Anyways, he checked his paper work and asked for the original Birth Certificate of me. In my country they dont give u Birth Certificate. It's on the record so they issue u a Passport and state it on the back of the passport your Birth Certificate.
Anyways, he then asked my wife if she is working, same with me. He then said i dont need your letters because it does not make any difference.. We both make like 32k annual.
After that he asked me my co-sponsor's W2's (Brother Citizen..) i told him i cannot get those, he sent it with the RFE and he's in service...
The officer was like, i need time for a decision.. (Seems like something is wrong i thought..) I do not do drugs so i was sure that it was not the medical. Thought about the FBI check. Deng, now im in serious prob. cause if i will be waiting for it, will take forever. {NOPE}
I dont know what happen, then he asked my wife how to say I love you in my language. So she said it, the officer was like, i use to have a gf so i know that. haha

He changed his mind and said no decision where's ur passport. He checked the visa's in there (israel and other countries) and BOOM I-551 Stamp! Took the i-94 too.
WUHUUuuUuuU 15 min questions after questions.
AOS APPROVED! No more worries for some time...
Good luck all! Great experience. Dont worry just be calm and relaxed. Truth and only truth and you're good.
Hi:

My three rules:

1. Tell the truth, its easier to remember. Corollary: Don't guess. If you don't know -- say so if that is the truth. If you don't remember -- so if that is the truth.

2. Understand the question asked. If you don't understand the question, then you may be guessing. If you don't understand the question -- say so! It will be rephrased.

3. Answer ONLY the question ASKED and NOTHING MORE. If asked "Do you know what time it is?" -- the only two possible answers are "yes" or "no".

These rules serve two purposes -- they make the DAO's job easier [I've repeated them in the course of interviews!] AND they avoid situations where you might shoot yourself in the foot. I've used these rules for three decades and they WORK -- they apply to "nice" DAO's and to the occassional "DAO From Hell."
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

airborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura aboutairborn83 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Interview Success [AOS]- Tips (Weird)

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

My three rules:

1. Tell the truth, its easier to remember. Corollary: Don't guess. If you don't know -- say so if that is the truth. If you don't remember -- so if that is the truth.

2. Understand the question asked. If you don't understand the question, then you may be guessing. If you don't understand the question -- say so! It will be rephrased.

3. Answer ONLY the question ASKED and NOTHING MORE. If asked "Do you know what time it is?" -- the only two possible answers are "yes" or "no".

These rules serve two purposes -- they make the DAO's job easier [I've repeated them in the course of interviews!] AND they avoid situations where you might shoot yourself in the foot. I've used these rules for three decades and they WORK -- they apply to "nice" DAO's and to the occassional "DAO From Hell."
Good rules, but this officer wanted long answers