Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview set, but is estimated N-400 timeline right?

Interview set, but is estimated N-400 timeline right?

Old Jan 21st 2022, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview set, but is estimated N-400 timeline right?

We have applied for American citizenship for my UK husband. The timeline has said 13 months since we filed in November. But he has his interview/citizenship test on Feb. 18, which is three months after we applied. Will it really be another 10 months after his interview for his citizenship oath ceremony? If not, what's the typical gap between the interview and the ceremony?
Old Jan 21st 2022, 12:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview set, but is estimated N-400 timeline right?

Most likely not. Probably not like a month or so.

Rene
Old Jan 21st 2022, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USGirl
We have applied for American citizenship for my UK husband. The timeline has said 13 months since we filed in November. But he has his interview/citizenship test on Feb. 18, which is three months after we applied. Will it really be another 10 months after his interview for his citizenship oath ceremony? If not, what's the typical gap between the interview and the ceremony?
It depends on your location. We lived in NJ, our interview was in Newark and the Oath Ceremony was a couple of hours later.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 2:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

These covid days I doubt any official or un official estimates are accurate, but AFIAK the process is the same, so just wait and see. He has to pass the interview first.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In recent time, we've seen that many are sworn in the same day as the test/examination.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Maxtrack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, What field office did you guys file the N400 at?
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't remember where exactly we sent our documents after applying online. But we live in Wisconsin, and my husband's interview is in Milwaukee.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS online account estimated time is woefully inaccurate. Disregard it.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 7:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
..... He has to pass the interview first.
So long as he isn't a member of the Taliban, or one of Kim Jong-Un's cronies, I am not sure how anyone could "fail" a US citizenship interview!

As a native English speaker the entire process is extremely easy, and the "interview", including the test questions and test of English language is laughable. This is what I posted previously on the subject of my citizenship interview:
The interview and test questions should not be any challenge at all to a native English speaker with a vague awareness of US history and an equally vague awareness of how the government of the US is organized.

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and US v UK electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour!
Your husband's mileage may vary.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So long as he isn't a member of the Taliban, or one of Kim Jong-Un's cronies, I am not sure how anyone could "fail" a US citizenship interview!

As a native English speaker the entire process is extremely easy, and the "interview", including the test questions and test of English language is laughable. This is what I posted previously on the subject of my citizenship interview:

Mine just wanted me done and out of the door.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 11:20 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I think for most “normal” people the biggest issue would probably be unpaid US taxes or criminal activity since moving here… all the vetting is already done for the green card…
Old Jan 28th 2022, 11:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I agree with the gist of your post. Off the top of my head I can recall three denials I was involved in over the years. One was a woman who immigrated based on a job offer and she never reported for the job (or any job for that matter). Second was one where the client’s I-551 was misdated by six months so he inadvertently filed a tad too early. Former INS agreed to refund the filing fee and we refiled. The third involved that Gov’t had reason to believe that client was involved with a drug cartel. Not enough to prosecute or deport but enough to deny citizenship (burden of proof can be a pesky thing).

N-400’s were generally the only applications where the attorney fee charged was based upon attorney time.
Old Jan 29th 2022, 4:53 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Perhaps I should have said "get past" rather than "pass" the interview.
I have said before, in my case the interviewer failed to give me part of the test - cannot remember which bit- and phoned me an hour later to come back to complete it. Maybe read/write a sentence in English!