Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview: petition returned to INS

Interview: petition returned to INS

Old May 21st 2001, 7:04 am
elisha

Bad luck at the interview today: our original I-129f petition is being returned to
the INS because of information mismatch. Needless to say I thought we had everything
straightened out, but this is what is happening. Does anyone know if the petition is
automatically re-submitted with the corrected info, or do I need to start at the
beginning? Here is a snippet of the email from the consulate officer that I received:

"...Unfortunately, I must suspend action and return the petition to the INS approving
office...I cannot say what INS' processing time will be, but I will send off the
petition to them in Wednesday's outbound pouch."

--
elisha

Old May 21st 2001, 7:12 am
Tommy

Sorry to hear that happened! If I may ask, what information was "mismatched?"

Thanks, Tommy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
INS
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 21st 2001, 8:40 am
elisha

It is regarding a child that is officially recorded as his, but he claims is his
godchild. He was 12 years old when this child was born, which you would think would
be in his favor. But since the baby was recorded as his own child the rules state
that the child must be listed on the I-129f, and since it is not that the petition
must be returned to the INS. Here is a quote for the consule officer's email:
"Unfortunately, I must suspend action and return the petition to the INS approving
office. If all children of a fiance applicant are not listed on the petition...
regulations require that the petition be returned."
--
elisha

>
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Bad luck at the interview today: our original I-129f petition is being returned[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to the INS because of information mismatch. Needless to say I thought we had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > everything straightened out, but this is what is[/usenetquote2]
happening.
[usenetquote2]> > Does anyone know if the petition is automatically re-submitted with the corrected[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > info, or do I need to start at the beginning? Here is a[/usenetquote2]
snippet
[usenetquote2]> > of the email from the consulate officer that I received:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > "...Unfortunately, I must suspend action and return the petition to the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > approving office...I cannot say what INS' processing time will be, but I will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > send off the petition to them in Wednesday's outbound pouch."[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > elisha[/usenetquote2]

Old May 23rd 2001, 10:29 am
George

>
is
    >

Huh? Wha? He 'claims' it's not his kid? Do you mean you suspect it really may be his
kid? If so, he musta been a randy wee lad, wouldn't ya say? Yikes!

Old May 23rd 2001, 3:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Few questions:

1. how did the Consulate "find" out about this child? Who reported the birth to them and the parentage?

2. why would someone list a 12 year old as the father of a baby?

3. is the mother a family friend?

4. yes, males and females are sexually active at the age of 12. There is nothing unusual about this. So there is the possibility that he is in fact the father.

Rita
Old May 23rd 2001, 7:21 pm
Michael Voight

elisha wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Obviously it something that he should have been cleared up a long time ago.

I didn't realize they looked at all the birth records of the non USC.

Michael

Old May 25th 2001, 8:48 am
elisha

This is what I get for posting in reaction to the consule officers email *before* I
really had a chance to talk to my fiance.

As he was gathering paperwork for the process he realized that he is registered as
his godchild's legal father. He had never told me about it because he didn't
realize it was officially recorded in this way. Unfortunately he assumed he could
just show up at the interview with the birth certificate and explain the situation
to the consule officer, no problem. Needless to say I wish he had told me of his
plans. Since the info on the I-129f and the biographic info forms now does not
match what he ended up presenting at the interview the entire thing is going back
to CSC for a review. The bitter irony is that the consule officer told him that
everything else was perfect, well organized, easy to read, etc., and if he hadn't
tried to 'do the right thing' by giving the officer the birth certificate he would
be on his way here now.

My big fear now is that it will be considered an attempt 'smuggle' in a non-family
member as a family member in the future. Also it doesn't bode well for the validity
of our relationship if I didn't know about this 'son'. Yes, I'm a little cranky. I
had no idea I was able to swear so well in spanish.

elisha

>
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > It is regarding a child that is officially recorded as his, but he[/usenetquote2]
claims is
[usenetquote2]> > his godchild.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 25th 2001, 9:33 am
elisha

Marilou920 wrote> I'm a catholic, Godchild means is not a child of a
biological parents.

I realize this. That is the problem. If he is recorded as the legal father, however,
that makes him the legal father in the eyes of the government, both his government
and mine. I myself am adopted. My birth certificate does not say that I am adopted.
It lists the parents who adopted me as my biological parents, even though they are
not. In fact, the state of California has never let me view my 'real' birth
certificate.

Unless DNA tests are performed on my fiance and this child who knows what the truth
is. I choose to believe my fiance. A woman can list whomever she wants as the father
of her child, and there are many personal, familial, and cultural reasons for doing
so. "Godchild" may not literally translate into what we understand the relationship
to mean here in the US. Different cultures and religions have different traditions.
Regardless of any of this, the INS now regards my fiance is the legal father of this
child. This info was not on the original forms that I filed and that where approved
by the CSC and then forwarded to the consulate. Therefore everything is being
returned to the CSC for further review as their initial approval was made without all
of the pertinent information.