Wikiposts

Interim EAD's

Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interim EAD's

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Out of curiosity here Rete, how can one show proof of having waited 90 days from initial date of application? We file Scott's I-765 on June 1st, but the NOA we received for it was dated June 14th. We were given no 'cashier' receipt when we filed. Besides the date written on the check, how else could we prove a filing date of June 1st? Or do we just have to go by the receipt date on the NOA?

You filed in person so you don't have a receipt from mailing. What about your cancelled check? What is the date it was cashed? Is it prior to June 14th?

AFAIK you are SOL without some type of receipt dated prior to June 14 if you want to "prove" having applied before that date.

Rete
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
You filed in person so you don't have a receipt from mailing. What about your cancelled check? What is the date it was cashed? Is it prior to June 14th?

AFAIK you are SOL without some type of receipt dated prior to June 14 if you want to "prove" having applied before that date.

Rete
Rete,

So the green "return receipt" from the post office, showing the date the EAD package was received at the local office would be proof of filing (or applying)? I can start counting 90 days from that date? I don't have to wait for an NOA or a cashed check - so far of which I have neither....?

Thanks,
Rene
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noorah101
Rete,

So the green "return receipt" from the post office, showing the date the EAD package was received at the local office would be proof of filing (or applying)? I can start counting 90 days from that date? I don't have to wait for an NOA or a cashed check - so far of which I have neither....?

Thanks,
Rene
Others have used the mailing receipt without a problem. If you want to be safe, you can always use the date the check was cashed. Your husband, however, is working in California and you live in Arizona?

So your husband would have to come back to Arizona where you and he filed the petitions. I know you don't live together but he visits as frequently as possible. Did an attorney advise you to file in Arizona even though he does not live there?

Rete
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

buffalo24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete,

Thanks,
Rene
I'm pretty sure you have to go by the received date on the NOA to start the 90 day countdown. Our received date was the day we dropped off the applications at our local office, so hopefully that will be the same case for you.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by buffalo24
I'm pretty sure you have to go by the received date on the NOA to start the 90 day countdown. Our received date was the day we dropped off the applications at our local office, so hopefully that will be the same case for you.
We didn't drop off the applications in person, we mailed them in. I have the green return receipt from the post office showing they were delivered. But we might not get the NOAs for a while yet...so was curious which date to start counting from....the date it was received at the Phoenix local office, or the date on the NOA, which could be several weeks difference in dates.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:54 am

Others have used the mailing receipt without a problem. If you want to be safe, you can always use the date the check was cashed. Your husband, however, is working in California and you live in Arizona?

So your husband would have to come back to Arizona where you and he filed the petitions. I know you don't live together but he visits as frequently as possible. Did an attorney advise you to file in Arizona even though he does not live there?

Rete
Rete,

My husband and I both live in Arizona. We do live together. He is temporarily working in California, and we visit each other often. He doesn't have a mailing address there. My husband will come back to Arizona for any immigration-related activities, since this is where his home is. He will live in Arizona permanently once he gets experience under his belt and can open his own shop here in Phoenix. I did not use an attorney to do the AOS, I found the paperwork straighforward, and nothing unusual about our case. There would be no reason to file in any other state, since Arizona is our state of residence, and my hubby had no idea where he might find work once he got here...either in Arizona or somewhere else.

I have lived in Arizona for 35 years. If my employer sends me to Denver on a work assignment for a 6-month period, I don't consider myself living in Denver. I still live in Arizona. All my mail goes to my Arizona address. If down the road, my hubby is here in Phoenix, and I go to Denver for work, but come home on the weekends, does it mean I live in Denver and he lives in Arizona? I don't think so.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2004, 4:01 am

Oh, and also, I don't quite get the connection between my question of which date to use, and where we live? What does one have to do with the other? Does where you live make a difference as to which date to start counting from? Hmmm....

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:34 am
Concierge

Oh, and also, I don't quite get the connection between my question of which date to use, and where we live? What does one have to do with the other? Does where you live make a difference as to which date to start counting from? Hmmm....

Rene

Simple, if he is in California working for the week he cannot waltz into an USCIS office in California for the interim EAD but has to return to Phoenix to do that. Which means he needs to take time off from work to travel to Phoenix to be there on a weekday when the office is open.

I don't think you understood where I was coming from with my question about where he is currently living. His mailing address might be the same as yours but he is not living there 24/7 but only visits there on occasion. I don't think Phoenix is that close to the border that he makes the drive everyday to work. So I'm assuming he is not a street person and rents a room somewhere that he uses to sleep, etc. That is in essence his residence, not your place in Arizona, to my way of thinking. That is my take on your living arrange. And that is not to say it is a problem as several others have shown. They have lived many states away from their spouse because of work and/or schooling and they still adjusted status without problems.

I fully understand the reasons why while you fought so hard for him to get to the US that you are not living together full time. The fact also remains that by the time Phoenix gets around to giving you two an AOS interview, he might already by back in Arizona and the owners of his own business. ;-)

Rete
Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:50 am

Simple, if he is in California working for the week he cannot waltz into an USCIS office in California for the interim EAD but has to return to Phoenix to do that. Which means he needs to take time off from work to travel to Phoenix to be there on a weekday when the office is open.

I don't think you understood where I was coming from with my question about where he is currently living. His mailing address might be the same as yours but he is not living there 24/7 but only visits there on occasion. I don't think Phoenix is that close to the border that he makes the drive everyday to work. So I'm assuming he is not a street person and rents a room somewhere that he uses to sleep, etc. That is in essence his residence, not your place in Arizona, to my way of thinking. That is my take on your living arrange. And that is not to say it is a problem as several others have shown. They have lived many states away from their spouse because of work and/or schooling and they still adjusted status without problems.

I fully understand the reasons why while you fought so hard for him to get to the US that you are not living together full time. The fact also remains that by the time Phoenix gets around to giving you two an AOS interview, he might already by back in Arizona and the owners of his own business. ;-)

Rete
You are correct....he won't be able to waltz into a USCIS office in CA. He will, indeed, take a day off and return to Phoenix for any USCIS business. I also take a day off work for that, since I have to drive and translate. Fortunately, our work is flexible and can accomodate our needs. And right again, by the time we get around to our AOS interview, I'm sure he'll be living back in Phoenix. He does share an apartment there with someone, but I'm the only one who has the address (except for his work). He's not receiving any mail there.

On just one point we differ, and I don't know which is more proper, but to my way of thinking, his "residence" is here in Phoenix with me (even though he's not physically present 24/7), and he's "staying" in California while he works. If anyone were to ask me were he "lives"/"resides", my answer would be Arizona, not California. We have lots of staff my place of employment that go to work on assignments out of state for months at a time. When someone calls in for them, I say they are working out of town at the moment. I don't say they've moved or they live in another state. To me, there's a difference.

Rene
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:43 am
Just Joined

antcrook is an unknown quantity at this point

The USCIS site lists it as an application support center. However, the Detroit site does say they are accepting in person applications for interim EADs if you have proof you have waited longer than 90 days from initial application. So if you want to take two days off from work, seems that is where you will have to go.

Rete
Just got back from a successful trip down to Detroit to get my inteim EAD. It was very busy, I got there at 6:15am, they only started seeing people at around 7:40am, and was out at about 9:30am, with the card in hand. By that time the place was packed. Must have something to do with the long weekend.

Ant
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:45 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by antcrook
Just got back from a successful trip down to Detroit to get my inteim EAD. It was very busy, I got there at 6:15am, they only started seeing people at around 7:40am, and was out at about 9:30am, with the card in hand. By that time the place was packed. Must have something to do with the long weekend.

Ant
CONGRATS!!
I am afraid I am gonna have to request the Interim EAD in a few days too!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Originally posted by antcrook
I was under the impression that the Sault ste Marie office was an application support center. When I phone the 1-800 to schedule my biometrics and fingerprinting they could never get a response on their computer, they always claimed there was something wrong with the system, and that I should phone back later. After phoning back later for a week I realized that there was something wrong with that particular office. I asked the 1-800 operator to try duluth ASC and I got an appointment the next day.

Is is possible to obtain an interim EAD from an ASC or do you think that the Sault ste marie office is different. At any rate I will try and phone them today.

Ant

antcrook i did the same thing i went a couple of weeks back to get my interim EAD at the detroit office. It was busy as well got it also around the same time you did!
What is good about the detroit office is that they understand what an immigrant goes through and they try to do their best!