Intending Immigrant 214(b)...

Old May 3rd 2017, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Intending Immigrant 214(b)...

Originally Posted by celticgrid
It is a bit weird, if you add in some context...

'In my particular line of work (Engineering Consultant) it's quite a normal scenario to be overseas and have family in another country into which I have right of access.'

The weird bit is that your family is in another country into which you have no right of access. An oft-repeated piece of advice on BE is that folks should naturalise (whether in the UK or US) in order to maintain rights to be in the same place as their children / parent. Your situation presents an object lesson in the pitfalls that can arise if that is not the case.

Good luck with sorting this out!
Exactly
Old May 4th 2017, 3:36 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

'In my particular line of work (Engineering Consultant) it's quite a normal scenario to be overseas and have family in another country into which I have right of access.'

The weird bit is that your family is in another country into which you have no right of access. An oft-repeated piece of advice on BE is that folks should naturalise (whether in the UK or US) in order to maintain rights to be in the same place as their children / parent. Your situation presents an object lesson in the pitfalls that can arise if that is not the case.

Its pretty clear family is not at the top of his list of priorities in life but his job is. Pretty sad.

Old May 4th 2017, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think what you are suggesting is out of context with the bigger picture.

My son is 8 this year, my daughter 5. This problem arose roughly a year ago. I've never had any problem visiting the USA, up until that point.

I don't fall into any dubious category, other than having children who are US Citizens. Yes, I'm now fully aware that the USA has different outlook to most of the other 56 or so countries that I've visited. I've never had any problem with border controls in any of those other countries, even the ones that are considered to have oppressive regimes at the helm.

Since the debacle at Detroit airport when I was refused entry, I was advised that it was a simple "administrative error" and all I'd need to do is apply for a visa. I've held a number of Visas over the year, all secured with no fuss or concern. With no previous problems applying for a Visa, I perhaps, mistakenly assumed that this would be a simple enough process.

I'm still of the general opinion, that unless you've actually contravened immigration rules, there's no real reason to be denied entry.

In the land of the free, that's not obviously not the case. My mistake, I know!
Old May 4th 2017, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Its pretty clear family is not at the top of his list of priorities in life but his job is. Pretty sad.

And I thought this was about 214b, nice to get additional advice on family life too!
Old May 4th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

What a world it would be if we just waited until someone did something 'wrong', instead of reading the potential signs of wrongdoing.

Prevention is often known as the best way to deal with stuff. Anyone displaying signs/characteristics of certain things will be flagged, and questioned, in all different scenarios of life (depression, immigrants, etc).

Unfortunate in your case, yes, but I do see the viewpoint of the border. They don't know you, they don't have time to. They just know you fit the profile, and acted accordingly as they are supposed to.

Also, being snide and rude towards other people who are simply offering simple and easy fixes to your situation shows what kind of obnoxious person you are. Just because you believe you have a right, you don't.

Best of luck with the future and sorting out something that was inevitable with how you were doing it, and I hope you fix it, for the sake of your family.
Old May 4th 2017, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maste
What a world it would be if we just waited until someone did something 'wrong', instead of reading the potential signs of wrongdoing.

Prevention is often known as the best way to deal with stuff. Anyone displaying signs/characteristics of certain things will be flagged, and questioned, in all different scenarios of life (depression, immigrants, etc).

Unfortunate in your case, yes, but I do see the viewpoint of the border. They don't know you, they don't have time to. They just know you fit the profile, and acted accordingly as they are supposed to.

Also, being snide and rude towards other people who are simply offering simple and easy fixes to your situation shows what kind of obnoxious person you are. Just because you believe you have a right, you don't.

Best of luck with the future and sorting out something that was inevitable with how you were doing it, and I hope you fix it, for the sake of your family.
Paranoia would be the best way to describe your opening sentence. Its not a war on tourists out there, as far as I'm aware? I've read 1984 a number of times, seems a bit Orwellian that it's now down to thought-crime for border control, even when the historical records shows otherwise. Not to mention not having any thoughts of illegally remaining in the USA.

They didn't want to get to know me and didn't need to get to know me, could simply have looked at the history of my trips to the USA and there's nothing odd or out of place.

Glad that you use a double standard of attempting to offset me supposedly being snide and rude to others (please provide the examples as you may well be confusing ironic humour) and describing me as "obnoxious". You are hilarious but it's likely to be quite dark when you are right now and may not be able to see that.

Thank you for the closing paragraph, that was all that needed to be said.

I still would like to point out that the SOLUTION to my current predicament is to apply to become an IMMIGRANT, as far as visiting the USA is concerned. That's very ironic.

I do like irony in general but in this case I'm really not appreciating the funny side of it!
Old May 4th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtd2000
I don't fall into any dubious category, other than having children who are US Citizens. Yes, I'm now fully aware that the USA has different outlook to most of the other 56 or so countries that I've visited. I've never had any problem with border controls in any of those other countries, even the ones that are considered to have oppressive regimes at the helm.
I sympathize with your predicament, but until you understand that you do fall into a dubious category you are not going to resolve your issues. You have US citizen children in the US and minimal links elsewhere. Of course other countries have a different outlook, not least because you do not have children who are citizens of, and living in, those countries.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; May 4th 2017 at 12:04 pm.
Old May 4th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Paranoia would be the best way to describe your opening sentence. Its not a war on tourists out there, as far as I'm aware? I've read 1984 a number of times, seems a bit Orwellian that it's now down to thought-crime for border control, even when the historical records shows otherwise. Not to mention not having any thoughts of illegally remaining in the USA.

They didn't want to get to know me and didn't need to get to know me, could simply have looked at the history of my trips to the USA and there's nothing odd or out of place.

Glad that you use a double standard of attempting to offset me supposedly being snide and rude to others (please provide the examples as you may well be confusing ironic humour) and describing me as "obnoxious". You are hilarious but it's likely to be quite dark when you are right now and may not be able to see that.

Thank you for the closing paragraph, that was all that needed to be said.

I still would like to point out that the SOLUTION to my current predicament is to apply to become an IMMIGRANT, as far as visiting the USA is concerned. That's very ironic.

I do like irony in general but in this case I'm really not appreciating the funny side of it!
No paranoia on my behalf. On behalf of said country you got refused from, yes. But why not, they have a problem with people illegally immigrating and unfortunately, it's happened to you now.

And another unfortunate thing is, it's at the border control officers discretion. Your history and previous travel records may look good, but they just look at everyone as though they have the intent to immigrate unless prove otherwise. For some reason, this guy/woman didn't believe your intentions, which is unfortunate for you.

No double standards, for I am not being rude, sarcastic or snide. I just call out people for how they are being, and I don't believe you are conducting yourself in a way that will make people want to help you, despite the best solutions offered. If you replied with less snide remarks and accepted peoples comments, you would come across a lot less obnoxious and more likeable and people would be more willing to suggest/help and sympathise with your situation. Simple as.

There is no irony in the solution. The difference is illegal and legal immigrant. Of which you would be the latter, if you would just do it in the best interest of your future, family and children.

P.S. 1984 is a great read, and much of it is true, in a very connected modern world.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I sympathize with your predicament, but until you understand that you do fall into a dubious category you are not going to resolve your issues. You have US citizen children in the US and minimal links elsewhere. Of course other countries have a different outlook, not least because you do not have children who are citizens of, and living in, those countries.
I used to work (in the USA) with a non-US patched biker (from the EU) who had previously served time for armed robbery. He got a US Visa

I didn't realise that coming to the USA as a tourist was a more dubious category.

I also understand now that Detroit is where they train the border guards. This one was presumably trying to impress.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps wait until your thoughts can be read by the Consulate so they can over ride your actions?
Old May 4th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maste
No paranoia on my behalf. On behalf of said country you got refused from, yes. But why not, they have a problem with people illegally immigrating and unfortunately, it's happened to you now.

And another unfortunate thing is, it's at the border control officers discretion. Your history and previous travel records may look good, but they just look at everyone as though they have the intent to immigrate unless prove otherwise. For some reason, this guy/woman didn't believe your intentions, which is unfortunate for you.

No double standards, for I am not being rude, sarcastic or snide. I just call out people for how they are being, and I don't believe you are conducting yourself in a way that will make people want to help you, despite the best solutions offered. If you replied with less snide remarks and accepted peoples comments, you would come across a lot less obnoxious and more likeable and people would be more willing to suggest/help and sympathise with your situation. Simple as.

There is no irony in the solution. The difference is illegal and legal immigrant. Of which you would be the latter, if you would just do it in the best interest of your future, family and children.

P.S. 1984 is a great read, and much of it is true, in a very connected modern world.
All first world countries have issues with immigration, legal or otherwise.

I'm already over the fact that it's not a case of being innocent until proven guilty as far as the US Border Guards are concerned. Despite what the poster on the wall might say. It's a bit like the refusal letter from the Consulate, half the content does/did not apply during the interview.

I'm not the type of person to insult people or attempt to provoke for no reason.
At the same time, I'm not the type of person to simply accept inane comments about my personal or family life that are far removed from reality based on their minimal experiences in life and their half cocked assumptions. Some people find it very easy to toss out judgements but cannot take any criticism in return. Those that live in glass houses, should not throw stones.

As I've mentioned before I would really prefer for my children to grow up in the UK. That's not an anti-US statement, simply a preference.

Time will tell how this all pans out of course.

I still can't get over how somebody (me!) a visitor to the USA as a tourist gets stopped for being an "intending immigrant". And the only way to resolve this predicament (now, not initially), is to actually become an "immigrant", when that's not what I was intending to be in the first place...

It might be they know my general salary and they would like a slice of my world-wide income...tin foil hat time!
Old May 4th 2017, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps wait until your thoughts can be read by the Consulate so they can over ride your actions?
Would that not still be a presumption of being guilty of something you're not attempting to do?

I've nothing to lose of course, wonder when they might bring out such a device?
Old May 4th 2017, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't get over how somebody (me!) a visitor to the USA as a tourist gets stopped for being an "intending immigrant". And the only way to resolve this predicament (now, not initially), is to actually become an "immigrant", when that's not what I was intending to be in the first place...
Yes you're right, it doesn't make sense.
Old May 5th 2017, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Asg123
Yes you're right, it doesn't make sense.
Exactly!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dragging this post up from the depths to relay something that happened over the weekend.

Quite amusing really, I didn't realise at all how this subject had affected my subconscious mind, until having a dream on Saturday night, where I'd taken a multi-stop trip/vacation/holiday.

Parts of the trip involved South America and at one point in the dream, I woke up in a place I didn't recognise at all.

Eventually, I was told that I was in Georgia, I assumed the country due to the terrain and older buildings/architecture. Then to my horror, I was told, no, Georgia in the USA!.

I had no clue how I'd arrived in the USA and more importantly, how I was going to get out!

It's very amusing now but during the dream, I was really concerned about how the hell I was going to explain my presence in the USA without a valid Visa!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.