Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

INS taking passport when filing papers?

INS taking passport when filing papers?

Old Jul 16th 2001, 5:53 am
Powerstrokes Gal

Today I filed all the necessary papers after marrying my husband while visiting. The
INS officer said she needed to take my passport and if I needed it they may lend it
back to me after I receive my AP papers and that I won't be able to have my passport
back until after I've been approved for PR which she estimates will be in about 5
years. Has anyone else had their passport taken and is this standard practice? I've
never heard it mentioned before.

Sarah

Old Jul 16th 2001, 6:00 am
Andy Platt

No I've never heard of this. The passport is yours and you are under no obligation to
give it to anyone who is not an official of your home country. What INS office was
this (obviously one in Texas given the waiting times).

If you did give it to them, I would write requesting it back and cc your
representatives. If you get no joy, contact the representatives directly.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 16th 2001, 6:42 am
Sarah

This was at the Harlingen office in Texas. I had brought photocopies of my passport
and I-94 but the INS officer said she needed to keep both the original card and
passport and gave me the copies back. She said it was a must.

Sarah

in message

[usenetquote2]>> Today I filed all the necessary papers after marrying my husband while visiting.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> The INS officer said she needed to take my passport and if I needed it they may[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> lend it back to me after I receive my AP papers and that I won't be able to have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> my passport back until after I've been approved for PR which she estimates will be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in about 5 years. Has anyone else had their passport taken and is this standard[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> practice? I've never heard it mentioned before.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Sarah[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 16th 2001, 7:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not a must as far as I know and yours has been the first case I have seen of this occurring since I've been on the NG in 3 odd years.

Your passport is private property and is actually belongs to another government. I can't see where the US INS comes off with demanding to literally hold it and making you a virtual prisoner by not allowing you possession of your own passport.

I would immediately go back to the INS office if you can and demand to see a supervisor and have them return your passport to your immediately. They can take your I-94 if they so choose to and this they have done to others. If you can't go in person, I would suggest you get the director's name off of the INS website for that office, send a letter to him/her by receipted mail and demand he have your passport returned to you post haste. If that fails, contact your congress person.

It sounds like the person you saw is new to the job and doesn't know what they can and cannot demand of its clientele.

Rita

[Edited by Rete on Jul 16th 2001 at 6:58pm]
Old Jul 16th 2001, 8:16 am
The Highlander

"Sarah" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >
original
    >
    >
    >

No. Never under any circumstances hand over your passport. A copy of it is
sufficient. As Andy said, there is no obligation to hand over your passport to
anyone. Good grief, it's ultimately your only form of ID while you are awaiting
processing.

>

[usenetquote2]> >> Today I filed all the necessary papers after marrying my husband while visiting.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> The INS officer said she needed to take my passport and if I needed it they may[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> lend it back to me after I receive my AP papers and that I won't be able to have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> my passport back until after I've been approved for PR which she estimates will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> be in about 5 years. Has anyone else had their passport taken and is this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> standard practice? I've never heard it mentioned before.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Sarah[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 16th 2001, 11:14 pm
ladiegrey39

Dear Sarah, i too have never heard of this, my ailien hubby absolutly needed his
passport for virtuatly everything here, as far as ID., it is all you have while here
and in our experience all that is accepted until you obtain ID. in the US. I would
have your american spouse demand it back*