Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

INS:Married on the 'Spur' of the moment

INS:Married on the 'Spur' of the moment

Old Mar 28th 2001, 6:14 pm
The Tourist The

Hi,

Can anyone give me any information about going into the US on the visa waiver
program? How soon could someone marry after entering the States without arousing
the suspicions of the INS? I've read on the Internet that the INS requires
marriage between an American citizen and a person who entered the US on the visa
waiver to be "spur of the moment." How does the INS determine what's "spur of the
moment"? What would they require as proof of the marriage being "spir of the
moment"? Any helpful information would be appreciated! Thanks, the Tourist

Old Mar 28th 2001, 6:41 pm
paulgani

I think the "spur of the moment" stuff is BS. It's not even remotely an issue. What's
important is your entry into the U.S. Go read this link to find out why:

http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/touristfaq.html

Paulgani

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 30th 2001, 2:28 am
cutiepiepudding

Leave it 60 days after entry then go for it. The INS doesn't ask you to prove spur of
the moment. Once you've been admitted, you're inspected and there's nothing they can
do about it afterwards. If you pull it off before 60 days, the onus is on you to
prove it WASNT s.o.m. It's no problem, and a whole load better than the K-bullshit
that the drongos in here go through (nice to be passing through again)...

Old Apr 8th 2001, 6:28 pm
Keely Willoughby

Well we might be drongos, but at least when we walk through immigration after being
questioned we pretty much know it's a sure thing. Getting married on the Visa Wavier
is all fine and well and some people get away with it. Hey more power to them!
However I really prefer the peace of mind I had with the right Visa and the
permission to get married.

Oh and Tom and I have been married now for two months and we sent in (finally) the
AOS stuff last week and they got it!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!

Keely

Old Apr 9th 2001, 12:50 am
billypilgrim

I'm with you in what appears to be a growing minority....

If we get that far, AOS will be less stressful knowing we already proved relationship
and had INS's blessing to get married.

Congratulations on your marriage, Beth

----------

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 9th 2001, 3:10 pm
Kelly Daken

Just an additional point. After first meeting my fiancee face to face in the US I
satrted to do some research on the ways that we could be together. I found an AOS
experience where the couple involved were not granted the I551 due to the fact the
interviewer had established that the alien spouse had entered the US on a Waiver with
immigrant intent. They were asked to fill in a waiver form and pay a fine (fee) and
told that the waiver of this act should be approved. I have looked for this
experience for quite a while but cannot seem to relocate it on the net so am unsure
as to the final outcome. My point is that if you go the K1 route as least you know
that you won't have to face this possability. And what happens if the waiver is not
approved??? You may have started a whole new life and have been enjoying it for
years, just to have your AOS denied and have to return to your home country and
imagine if they can prove you lied when coming into the US. For those using a
traditional tourist visa, this would be easy to prove as question 27 on the OF156
asks if you have a fiance/fiancee in the US and if you have agreed to marry even if
there is no ring, you do have a fiance/fiancee. For the sake of not getting a
terrible shock in the future I think the K1 is a lot safer although waiting is an
awful strain. BTW The Tourist has said that he has filed an I129F, what better way
for the INS to prove immigrant intent at the AOS interview. Also I think this is how
the above couple were caught out. Just my two cents worth. Kelly

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 9th 2001, 11:05 pm
Rete

Believe you are talking about the couple who married in Vegas. He was from Germany.
Their AOS was denied for fraudulent intent and he was returned to Germany. Don't know
the outcome of the situation as they never reported back which makes me wonder about
the truthfulness of the post. They supposedly were "caught" because his German
relatives attended the Vegas wedding.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
this
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
it
    >
    >
For
    >
    >
if
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
the
    >
how
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 10th 2001, 12:36 am
The Tourist. The

>
the
    >
how
    >

Hi,

Well your 2cts is nothing worth to me. My babe applied for the I-129F and maybe I did
use the wrong word, but I ment she has ask for the form to fill it out. So the INS
knows nothing at all, now. But you seems to know it all!

No, we we're nt 'caught out' if you ment that I was rejected to come to the US.
Rather stupid to assume IMO

Maybe you have to read my other mail too. These tips on this Waiver Visa we did get:

1. from a secretary of the office of a former governer of this state.
2. From a girl at the INS office itself. She ofcourse could''nt goin to the details,
which I can understand.

Before that we did'nt even knew of the Waiver Visa!

Many in the newsgroup are more acting as a INS then then the INS itselfs. So better
get your act together. We all ready got it together!

Btw. I must say I am really fedd up with the hostility and the arrogance in this
newsgroup. This seems to be the intention of this group. Try to give some respect
instead of you dum arrogance. I mean 'what comes around, goes around', eh?

My 2 cts.

So goodbye and have a nice life!.

The Tourist.

Old Apr 10th 2001, 2:07 am
billypilgrim

I don't think the intent of the post was to wish you harm. However, please understand
that some of us U.S. citizens fell a bit uncomfortable with people bending the rules
of immigration. It is our country, and we have a right to have strong feelings about
immigration into it.

Keep in mind too that we are all jumping through lots of hoops to get our loved ones
here. So we DO understand.

If you post a controversial subject, such as using a non-immigration visa waiver to
immigrate, you have to expect mixed responses. It doesn't mean people are hostile.
It's just that there are strong feelings about the subject on both sides. Some people
will agree with your decision, and some won't. And if someone recalls an experience
where a non-citizen was deported for entering on visa waiver with intent to
immigrate, that is not hostility. That is valuable information that might help you
make your decision.

All the best, whatever you choose, Beth
----------

>

>
[usenetquote2]>> BTW The Tourist has said that he has filed an I129F, what better way for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> INS to prove immigrant intent at the AOS interview. Also I think this is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> the above couple were caught out. Just my two cents worth. Kelly[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 10th 2001, 2:12 am
paulgani

While any INS agent can certainly try to deny an AOS application due to immigrant
intent, the fact remains that it would never hold up under appeal, UNLESS the alien
also committed some sort of fraud to achieve their entry. For example, if the alien
applied for a tourist visa, and neglected to check off the box that they had a fiance
in the U.S., the INS agent could casually ask "when did you get engaged?". If the
alien answered a date prior to the tourist visa application, then "bam" - the alien
has been caught using fraud to obtain a visa.

Another story we heard in this newsgroup was when a pregnant alien entered on a visa
waiver, the INS Inspector asked her how long she would stay. She lied and said
something like "2 weeks". At her AOS interview, when asked what she said at the POE,
she admitted lying to the Inspector. BAM - she was denied.

It's often difficult to get the true details in a hearsay story. However, if you dig
deep enough, you will always find that there was another contributing factor to the
denial. Mere "preconceived intent", by itself, is simply not enough to deny an AOS.
This has been backed up by the courts and even INS regulations.

Paulgani

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
this
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
it
    >
    >
For
    >
    >
if
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
the
    >
how
    >

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Well we might be drongos, but at least when we walk through immigration after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > being questioned we pretty much know it's a sure thing. Getting married on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Visa Wavier is all fine and well and some people get away with it. Hey more power[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to them! However I really prefer the peace of mind I had with the right Visa and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the permission to get married.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Oh and Tom and I have been married now for two months and we sent in (finally)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the AOS stuff last week and they got it!!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > YAY!!!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Keely[/usenetquote2]

Old Apr 12th 2001, 12:13 am
billypilgrim

[usenetquote2]>> Keep in mind too that we are all jumping through lots of hoops to get our loved[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> ones here. So we DO understand.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ah, but this is a slim but real possibility for me; Shawn has an arrest in his
past which should not be a problem, but may be one. If he's turned down, that's
it. If he can't come in "officially" he does not come, plain and simple. I move
there (England), or we both see what is involved in moving to neutral territory,
like Canada. All we can do is hope it never comes to that, and plan what will
happen if it does.

We all do what we have to do.

Don't feel too bad about the replies here, Tourist. If you read the NG long
enough, you'll see that many threads turn into rather heated discussions. People
are generally under a lot of stress, and some of the subjects are controversial.
Please don't feel like you've been singled out.

Good luck with all your plans. I can tell you love your girlfriend very much.

Beth