Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

Wikiposts

Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

ladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

I was granted an indefinite stay visa when I was engaged to be married to a US citizen over 19 years ago ...........needless to say I ditched him, I met and married my hubby funnily enough in the US although we have always lived in the UK and have never availed myself to this visa as I mentioned in the subject line the passport has expired.

Would I still be able to use this as we are looking at countries/options to emigrate to in 2 years when my very young hubby will retire at 49.

If it helps the visa is B-1B-2 19 adte issued and says non immigration.

Is the visa still valid can he apply using my visa as a spouse, I never married the American Guy but when I obtained the indefinate stay visa there was no intention to take the visa and run it was just circumstances changed.

We both Uk citizens and we will have a good pension to help us while we are out there and he wishes to take on some kind of part time work while he is out there as he actually likes working we will have 2 children who in 2 years will be 11 and 8 and possibly his son from his former marriage

Last edited by ladysurrey; Oct 11th 2004 at 10:55 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indefinate Visa on an expired passport

Originally Posted by ladysurrey
I was granted an indefinite stay visa when I was engaged to be married to a US citizen over 15 years ago ...........needless to say I ditched him, I met and married my hubby funnily enough in the US although we have always lived in the UK and have never availed myself to this visa as I mentioned in the subject line the passport has expired.
Don't think anything like that exists now, certainly haven't heard of an indefinite visa currently on the go like that. Certainly not easy getting into the States, but I'll stick this thread in the immigration forum, might get more help.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:09 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladysurrey
I was granted an indefinite stay visa when I was engaged to be married to a US citizen over 19 years ago ...........needless to say I ditched him, I met and married my hubby funnily enough in the US although we have always lived in the UK and have never availed myself to this visa as I mentioned in the subject line the passport has expired.

Would I still be able to use this as we are looking at countries/options to emigrate to in 2 years when my very young hubby will retire at 49.

If it helps the visa is B-1B-2 19 adte issued and says non immigration.

Is the visa still valid can he apply using my visa as a spouse, I never married the American Guy but when I obtained the indefinate stay visa there was no intention to take the visa and run it was just circumstances changed.

We both Uk citizens and we will have a good pension to help us while we are out there and he wishes to take on some kind of part time work while he is out there as he actually likes working we will have 2 children who in 2 years will be 11 and 8 and possibly his son from his former marriage
That sounds like a Burroughs visa. It is usually blue and red. It was stamped using a ribbon and has an eagle in a circle towards the top.

The visa isn't good to stay indefinetly. It was like any other visitor visa, but it just didn't expire. They stopped issuing them 1/1/95.

They changed the law about those and now they are no longer good forever. They are good for 10 years plus one more trip.

For example, if one was issued 12/1/94 then it will be cancelled upon entry on the next visit after 12/1/2004.

Since yours is 19 years old, it is still good for one more entry, but will be cancelled upon your next entry. You'd probably get admitted for six months and then they'd place a cancelled stamp across it. You'd need a new visa, or use the visa waiver program on your next visit after that.

The visa is not good for moving to the US to live. It's for entering for tourists or business purposes only. It would not help you or your family relocate to the US.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:54 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
That sounds like a Burroughs visa. It is usually blue and red. It was stamped using a ribbon and has an eagle in a circle towards the top.

The visa isn't good to stay indefinetly. It was like any other visitor visa, but it just didn't expire. They stopped issuing them 1/1/95.
I had one of those. It was issued in 1980. It was valid indefinitely but allowed stays of up to 6 months. This was before the VWP. I too had mine cancelled.