Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Inadmissibility Waiver For INA 212 (Criminal)

Inadmissibility Waiver For INA 212 (Criminal)

Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:03 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inadmissibility Waiver For INA 212 (Criminal)

Friend of mine and his USC lady friend are considering getting married.

He has multiple convictions inc some CIMT and was once sentenced to a term of 2 years imprisonment (20 years ago). His last conviction (disorderly conduct kind of thing) was in 1995, So 16 years ago.

He thinks he should be ok with inadmissibilty waiver on that score due to the passage of time without any further convictions, but in 09 appeared in court for 'assault' (actually a verbal assault with a neighbour), plead guilty but was unconditionally discharged WITHOUT conviction.

His police certificate WILL record this matter even though he was discharged unconditionally without conviction. He's just a bit concerned that its recency might spoil his otherwise 16 years absence from any court appearances.

Also, as alcohol was an aggravating factor does he need to admit this at consular interview given that the incident resulted in no conviction? And if so, should he also apply for a health grounds waiver in additional to the criminal waiver on the I-601 ?

Can consular official even bring this matter up as it was a non-conviction that neither involved drugs (he has no drug convictions whatsoever) nor was it an indictible offence ? He wants to be honest but not naive and ruin his chances of migration by 'putting his foot in his mouth'

Many thanks for your help
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inadmissibility Waiver For INA 212 (Criminal)

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
He's just a bit concerned that its recency might spoil his otherwise 16 years absence from any court appearances.
It might, yes.

Also, as alcohol was an aggravating factor does he need to admit this at consular interview given that the incident resulted in no conviction?
It'll probably come up at the interview because it'll likely come up at his medical - and he needs to take his police certificate with him to the medical.

Can consular official even bring this matter up as it was a non-conviction that neither involved drugs (he has no drug convictions whatsoever) nor was it an indictible offence ?
The officer can raise any concern he wants... so, yes.

He wants to be honest but not naive and ruin his chances of migration by 'putting his foot in his mouth'
I suggest your friend should not marry until he knows whether or not a visa will be approved. I also suggest your friend seek help from an experienced immigration attorney. With multiple convictions, this isn't a DIY project.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless she has issues there is always at least one other option.

So I would not rule out marriage.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless she has issues there is always at least one other option.

So I would not rule out marriage.