Wikiposts

Immigration to US

Old Jan 21st 2002, 12:46 am
Imrico

My father never married my mother because he already had his own family in the US. As
irresponsible as he is, and despite that we never changed our address in Hong Kong,
he never contacted us. After 36 years, I have finally found my father who is an
American Citizen.

My question is, can I apply to immigrate to the US because my father is a US citizen?
Eventhough I have no proof that he's my father? I'm already married, but with no
children. And my wife and I would like work in the US. So could I use my father's
name to immigrate to the states with my wife?

Old Jan 21st 2002, 2:44 am
Just Joined

rilawyer@yahoo.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Your father can apply for a green card for you. The wait will be several years since you are over 21 and married. Once you have a green card you can live and work permanently in the US.

Five years after getting your green card you will also be entitled for US citizenship. Citizenship through a different route would be practically impossible because of the following:

"Any child who was not born a United States citizen, either in the USA or abroad, becomes a United States citizen by action of law on the date on which ALL of the following requirements have been met:

The child was lawfully admitted for Permanent Residence, and
Either parent was a United States citizen; and
The child was still under 18 years of age; and
The child was not married, and
The child was the parent’s legitimate child or adopted child, or was legitimated by the parent before the child’s 16th birthday (Stepchildren or children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their parents.); and
The child was residing in the legal custody of the citizen parent (This includes joint custody); and
The child was residing in the physical custody of the citizen parent."
Old Jan 21st 2002, 5:31 pm
Shelley

in message

>
    >
    >
finally
    >
    >
    >
US