Immigration Question??

Old Aug 8th 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Question??

I have just applied to have my conditions removed from my green card which I got through marriage and I have been told by my immigration attorney that I can file in about a year to get a US passport etc. My parents have been here 5 times and would very much like to move here but as we all know they cannot live here until I have a US passport etc so I can sponser them. They are financilly independant and have some substantial investments. We need to know what the implications are about the money if they pass away before leaving the UK. Is it better to be "an American" or "a Brit"?? I know that it is not a real pleasant subject but we wish to be informed so the best choices can be made. I have looked up on the net and there does not appear to be anything "in plain English".

Thanks, Max
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:20 am
Just Joined

crh_usa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration Question??

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
I have just applied to have my conditions removed from my green card which I got through marriage and I have been told by my immigration attorney that I can file in about a year to get a US passport etc. My parents have been here 5 times and would very much like to move here but as we all know they cannot live here until I have a US passport etc so I can sponser them. They are financilly independant and have some substantial investments. We need to know what the implications are about the money if they pass away before leaving the UK. Is it better to be "an American" or "a Brit"?? I know that it is not a real pleasant subject but we wish to be informed so the best choices can be made. I have looked up on the net and there does not appear to be anything "in plain English".

Thanks, Max
Better to be an American
If they pass away in 2010, they is no federal estate tax. before or after that date there is a threshold, but extremely high (per my standard...)
Old Aug 9th 2004, 12:59 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Max
Having a US passport has nothing to do with it ..In a year you can file for Citizenship after that you can get a US passport..you will still retain your British Citizenship as well.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crh_usa
Better to be an American
If they pass away in 2010, they is no federal estate tax. before or after that date there is a threshold, but extremely high (per my standard...)
Ok well thanks for that, but if they pass away before then (God forbid) and money is transferred into my account and we go out and buy a new car would not the IRS say "hey, where did this dude get the money from" and then we would be audited??
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well thanks for that, but if they pass away before then (God forbid) and money is transferred into my account and we go out and buy a new car would not the IRS say "hey, where did this dude get the money from" and then we would be audited??
I guess most people have come here with Money, Savings, House sale proceeds, whatever and have never had any issue.