Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is immigration possible after a waiver of ineligibility?

Is immigration possible after a waiver of ineligibility?

Old Jul 8th 2018, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Char7c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is immigration possible after a waiver of ineligibility?

Hi all,

new to the site.
my husband had convictions over 16 years ago. We applied for a b2 visa 2 years ago and got refused.
we applied again this March and he has been recommended for the waiver of ineligibility and was told that it is highly likely that he will get it (no guarantee of course). They said 4-6 month wait and we’re coming up To 4 Months. We’re hoping to go for Christmas.
anyway...

i would love love to move to Texas - lots of family there..what are the chances this could ever happen?!
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is immigration possible after a waiver of ineligibility?

Originally Posted by Char7c
Hi all,

new to the site.
my husband had convictions over 16 years ago. We applied for a b2 visa 2 years ago and got refused.
we applied again this March and he has been recommended for the waiver of ineligibility and was told that it is highly likely that he will get it (no guarantee of course). They said 4-6 month wait and we’re coming up To 4 Months. We’re hoping to go for Christmas.
anyway...

i would love love to move to Texas - lots of family there..what are the chances this could ever happen?!
What were his convictions for would be helpful.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mike,

unfortunately it was drug related so im
not hopeful but I didn’t know if he got sponsored for a work visa it would be possible?!
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,

not hopeful but I didn’t know if he got sponsored for a work visa it would be possible?!
You might need to more specific than ‘drug related’ I’m afraid. I think the exact conviction will make a difference.

And what work visa would he be moving on? What does he do?
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Apologies. I believe it was trafficking in Japan. He did 4 years there over 16 years ago. I know things are never spent but he has massively turned his life around and whilst I don’t host much hope to be able to
move there it would be good to know if it could ever be possible.
we haven’t even looked into prospective jobs/employers as we don’t know if it could happen. He manages building sites. I would want to open my own company there as I’m a professional cake maker.
not high end careers I know!
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I was hoping for your sake it was possession of a tiny amount of pot! The forum pros will be able to help you out with his chances, I have a vague recollection that non-immigrant visas (temporary) may be ok, but not immigrant (permanent/green card). I just remember a guy who couldn’t move to be with his US citizen wife because of a drug conviction, although he could go temporarily. But I may be misremembering, other members will know for sure.

Unfortunately I don’t think his chances of getting sponsored would be good even without a drugs conviction, not sure he’d qualify for an employment based visa from what you’ve said. But have a read of this to see if you think any visa would fit - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If the drug conviction could be overcome, it may be that your business is a better way to a visa, depending on the size of it/number of employees etc.

And cake ladies rock! I run a cake related business too. Not high end I agree but I love it.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Ah thank you and yea cake ladies do haha!
thank you for your advise. We both wish it was something less but what’s done is done. I have so much family there it would be lovely to join them but know it’s probably a pipe dream!
Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't like there is much hope with the skills that you and your husband have. They are not on the list for an H1B work visa and unless he works for UK company in some type of skilled position for x number years and can qualify for a company transfer even with a possibility of a waiver, you have no way to come to the US other than as tourists.

Drug trafficking is one of the most serious of crimes that can cause denial by the USCIS and/or US Consulates. Really surprised that he was told there was a good chance for a waiver.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 8th 2018 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From an immigration attorney's website re: whether a waiver of inadmissibility if possible:

Drug trafficking record No

Who Can't Get Into The United States? Inadmissibility Laws - AllLaw.com
Old Jul 8th 2018, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

He was seen by the second in command at the embassy and she said she can’t see that he will have a problem and that she is recommend him for the waiver due to the length of time since and how his life is now.
I didn’t hold much hope in regards to immigration though.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

we haven’t even looked into prospective jobs/employers as we don’t know if it could happen. He manages building sites. I would want to open my own company there as I’m a professional cake maker.
not high end careers I know!
My layman's opinion is that neither of your professions are going to lead to a work visa. If you have enough in savings, you might be able to "buy" your way into the USA, something along the lines of $500K. Other than that, most likely not.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are any of your family there US Citizens? And if so, are they a mother, father, adult child or sibling of yours?

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2018, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,

unless he has suffering from extreme hardship US citizen family ....the only exception where you can still immigrate with drug conviction (I know from my own husbands circumstances) is a waiver for a 1 off personal possession of cannabis (over 15 yrs ago and under 30g)

Last edited by karenkaren1; Jul 8th 2018 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A non immigrant waiver is possible.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 6:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
A non immigrant waiver is possible.
See post #1. He's been recommended for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.