British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Immigration Lawyer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/immigration-lawyer-851063/)

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 19th 2015 5:56 am

Immigration Lawyer

I hope I am unjustly panicking, but we (the Company) are having a problem with our Immigration Lawyer. Not been reachable for a 4-5 days now (always been hard to contact) and now their website link takes me to "Go Daddy" where the "Web Page is Parked For Free". Note - we are a large (ish) reputable company and these are no fly by night (I hope) company.
What are the implications of changing lawyers part way through my L1-B visa application ?
I will be looking into other Lawyers in the morning (I'm in the UK) and will be ringing around to ask them, but was hoping for a heads up from some of the learned people on here.
Thanks.
Carl.

Hotscot Jan 19th 2015 6:03 am

Re: Immigration Lawyer

Who are they?

Are you in the process of a company transfer?

Where in the process are you?

S Folinsky Jan 19th 2015 6:04 am

General rule: choice of lawyer always belongs to the client.
General rules: in the case of an L petition there is "dual representation" which can muddy up who the actual client is. That does not seem to be an issue in OP's post.

General comment: web sites are known to crash, be hijacked and otherwise do weird things.

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 19th 2015 6:07 am

Thanks Guys....

Hotscot, at this stage probably not professional for me to name them. Yes. I-129 submitted and an RFE received, by the Lawyer, last week, but NOT passed to the company (the Client) for them to work on a response. It is getting the lawyer to do this that is proving difficult.

Carl.

Hotscot Jan 19th 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 11538414)
Thanks Guys....

Hotscot, at this stage probably not professional for me to name them.

Understood, however you're just trying to locate them so not really controversial.

sir_eccles Jan 19th 2015 7:50 am

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 11538403)
Not been reachable for a 4-5 days now (always been hard to contact)

That sort of thing is never helpful at the best of times, let alone when their website disappears. I would find a new lawyer regardless. Competent attorneys know what to do to change your representation.

Check AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association

md95065 Jan 19th 2015 7:57 am

Before you start to panic too much it may just be that they are having web site issues.

Have you tried calling them?

If you can't get through then you could also send them a letter by FedEx to their physical address.

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 19th 2015 8:07 am

Sir Eccles, having a look now...

md95065... Been calling all day, landline & cell phone.

Thanks.

Carl.

md95065 Jan 19th 2015 8:24 am

It is MLK day today - they might quite possibly have taken the day off.

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 19th 2015 8:54 am

md95065... Some initial emails this morning were opened (email read receipts) and the office junior replied to one with we'll get back to you in a moment to one of them... But they didn't.
Anyway, "The Client" (Company Secretary) will call & email tomorrow instead of "the Beneficiary" (me) in case it's a question of protocol.
Carl.

md95065 Jan 19th 2015 10:42 am

OK, that just sounds like the normal scenario of "not replying to your emails as quickly as you would like" which is more of a cause for irritation rather than panic ... :unsure:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2015 3:03 pm

and seemingly very very common.

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 19th 2015 8:10 pm

Yeah.... Whilst I don't post or log into this site very often, I usually check in everyday to see whats happening and read about this happening all the time ! Feels different when it's happening to you though.
Received a short email over night to say they'll be in touch today.... Fingers crossed.
Carl.

Hotscot Jan 20th 2015 4:18 am

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 11538547)
Some initial emails this morning were opened (email read receipts) and the office junior replied to one

You heard from them yesterday morning and then overnight last night?

MtbbikeVanlife Jan 20th 2015 4:39 am

Hotscot, not sure I follow your comment... But we have made some progress in that this morning they've acknowledged they've received the RFE and are drafting the reply. We'll just have to keep chasing them to keep things moving.
Carl.