Immigration help

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration help

we got Gc cards within 2 years of arriving on an L1a visa, but still have to wait another 5 years for citizenship (so we have another 3 years to wait as we came in 2007). AND to get the visa in the first place husband had to have worked for that company for over a year and they had to like us enough to want to pay to move us (Husband had worked for them for over 7 years at that point) and to get that job he had to have the education and other work experience to go with it. We are 41 years old now - having been in the USA for 3 years. It isnt quick!!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Elliot-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like moving to USA and becoming a citizen is harder than i thought!

So let me get this right, if i went to university and got a good degree, and then went for a green card (would i get one if i had a good degree) And after 5 years i can apply for citizenship? How long after applying for citizenship does it take to become a citizen?

And it says on the career pages that you need a bachelors degree from an accredited US university, what is this??

Thanks for all the help and it has been very useful, just piecing everything together now.

Elliot
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elliot-Ross
Seems like moving to USA and becoming a citizen is harder than i thought!

So let me get this right, if i went to university and got a good degree, and then went for a green card (would i get one if i had a good degree)
Becoming a citizen once you are a Permanent Resident (green card) is not difficult. It's mostly a matter of sufficient time passing and you staying out of trouble before applying.

The difficult part is getting a green card aka permanent resident status.

Please go back to the link in post 3 and read about the various ways one can get a green card.

"Just" having a 'good degree' is not sufficient to get a green card. You can not apply yourself; a relative or employer's petition is required first in most cases.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this right, if i went to university and got a good degree, and then went for a green card (would i get one if i had a good degree)....
Upon getting a good degree, you wouldn't go directly for a green card. You'd go for a work visa and you'd make sure the employer will apply for your green card at some point after you come to work in the USA.

... And after 5 years i can apply for citizenship?
After 5 years of having your green card, yes. You don't get your green card immediately upon entry to the USA when coming on a work visa.

How long after applying for citizenship does it take to become a citizen?
Currently, about 6 months. Processing time changes over time, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. No idea what the processing time will be when you're at this stage years from now.

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The kid's certainly special, so he's got that going for him already.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And it says on the career pages that you need a bachelors degree from an accredited US university, what is this??
I already told you that, accredited by the US department of education. Pretty much every university in the UK is NOT accredited. That means you will likely have to go to a US school which means you need a visa and tens of thousands of dollars in the bank since you need to go to a high ranked school if you are trying to get into the FBI. Figure a 4 year degree at a US accredited university that would be worth something to the FBI at anywhere between $200k and $350K all in (tuition, insurance, books, room and board, flights, visa costs, living expenses, etc), probably closer to the top end. You will need to have a large chunk of that in cash in order to get a visa.

Why do you want to become an FBI agent? What exactly about the job appeals to you? What do you think would make you a good candidate?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this right, if i went to university and got a good degree, and then went for a green card (would i get one if i had a good degree)
That in itself could take 10-15 years or more.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Why do you want to become an FBI agent? What exactly about the job appeals to you? What do you think would make you a good candidate?
I had similiar questions, but it seems he didn't want to answer.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
tsk its classified, if he told you he would have to kill you
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I am curious too. Based on the investigative skills demonstrated so far, the FBI does not seem like a logical career choice.

I do smell a wind-up, though. (And I investigated the British meaning of the term before I said that, even though I have no desire to attend Quantico myself)

Last edited by discoviking; Mar 5th 2011 at 11:38 am.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:43 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be an astronaut.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Have you thought of emmigrating to Russia?

Might be a long wait to get a chance int the US.

Quite what their educational and citizenship requirements are, I do not know.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:22 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Lumberjack!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Special agent is FBI, its what I want to do but it is very difficult to do so! Especially when I am a British citizen!
If you're a British citizen, then maybe Special Branch rather than special agent?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Special agent is FBI...
To clarify, the term "special agent" refers to any government investigator... local, state, or federal. So, you don't want to be just any special agent, you specifically want to be an FBI special agent. If you're going to shoot for the moon, you may as well aim correctly.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.