Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration difficult for struggling family

Immigration difficult for struggling family

Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

sanreay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration difficult for struggling family

My husband is American, I am British. We scrimped and saved to get my adjustment of status papers in and just mailed them in ontime before the fee hike. They were all returned to me because I didn't see one check box, it is very difficult for us, we have a baby and limited funds. I didn't come here for the "better life", just to get married. We can't afford a lawyer and don't have the means to pay the extra. What on earth can we do. I feel I am trapped here, I don't want to live in the USA forever, but would like to come and go but mainly live in the UK. It's very stressful. Anybody can help me? I'm on my own here, all my family is in the UK.
Thank you
Sandra
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration difficult for struggling family

Originally Posted by sanreay
My husband is American, I am British. We scrimped and saved to get my adjustment of status papers in and just mailed them in ontime before the fee hike. They were all returned to me because I didn't see one check box, it is very difficult for us, we have a baby and limited funds. I didn't come here for the "better life", just to get married. We can't afford a lawyer and don't have the means to pay the extra. What on earth can we do. I feel I am trapped here, I don't want to live in the USA forever, but would like to come and go but mainly live in the UK. It's very stressful. Anybody can help me? I'm on my own here, all my family is in the UK.
Thank you
Sandra
If you want to adjust status here, you have to find the $$$ for the fees. There is no other way.

But if you ultimately want to live in the UK, why not bring forward the move?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Sandra
So did USCIS request you to pay the higher fee now?

If so, get a loan. Use a credit card. Borrow from friends. Your husband is a USC. You might be alone here, but he is not. Get some help from his family. Sell something valuable and use that money.

If you want to mainly live in the UK, but still have the freedom to come and go, you will want to become a USC down the line. You are just now applying for AOS, so you're "stuck" here working towards becoming a USC for the next 4 or 5 years or so. (1 year +/- to get AOS done, 3 years as a PR, 1 year +/- to become a USC).

You don't need a lawyer, from the looks of it. You just need to return the paperwork to USCIS with whatever they asked you to do and return.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Sandra

You don't say what the error in your submission might be, but maybe this will help: Resubmission After Erroneous Rejection for Improper Fees

If not, maybe this information about Fee Waivers: Fee Waiver Guidelines
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I am trapped here, I don't want to live in the USA forever, but would like to come and go but mainly live in the UK.
You are not a prisoner in the US... you can leave at any time. If you want to live mainly in the UK, then I suggest you up and move sooner rather than later.

I'm on my own here, all my family is in the UK.
Something, perhaps, you should have considered before hopping across the pond.

My god, if you whine this much to complete strangers, I can't begin to imagine what it's like living with you!

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are not a prisoner in the US... you can leave at any time. If you want to live mainly in the UK, then I suggest you up and move sooner rather than later.

Something, perhaps, you should have considered before hopping across the pond.

My god, if you whine this much to complete strangers, I can't begin to imagine what it's like living with you!

Ian
Now then, Ian - play nice! We all have our different circumstances, and you are not privy to the issues that may be complicating the OP's situation.

Though I agree that going for AOS does not appear to make sense in this case.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Though I agree that going for AOS does not appear to make sense in this case.
Yup... people need to clarify the difference between "want" and "need".

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife takes the Australian view, that we are all whiners.

But I would agree, you need Citizenship first t do what you want to do.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Actually I was only asking for advice, I didn't mean to whine. I didn't spell out my whole situation as I just thought maybe somebody could advise me if there was anywhere that helped fill out the forms that's all. My husband was slightly brain damaged in an accident - so I do feel I'm on my own. We are scrimping like most families in New York, but we will get there, Ian I'm sorry I bothered you - it was just advice, if you just want to be nasty, then just sneer at my post but don't reply. I was a bit optimistic when I saw I had replies, but then I saw yours. You are a sarcastic nasty man. Goodbye.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was only asking for advice, I didn't mean to whine. I didn't spell out my whole situation as I just thought maybe somebody could advise me if there was anywhere that helped fill out the forms that's all.
Try calling a place called "Catholic Charities". You don't have to be Catholic to use their services. They provide help with immigration matters such as you need, filling out forms and such. If you don't have such a place there, try looking up any organization that helps new immigrants or asylum seekers.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

You are a sarcastic nasty man.
I get that a lot when I tell people stuff they don't want to hear. While others will gloss over and minimize the issues, I have no problem going for the jugular. Good luck to you!

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS does waive fees in certain circumstances ...
worth reading
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Sandra
They returned the entire package to you and you should return the entire package back to them with the same check and with the same envelope you were received the package in and with a copy of your mailing receipt for the original package.

It is very possible that they will accept the return of the petitions and process with the old fee. It is worth a shot.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

No Ian, I just think like Terry Wogan said once, there are people sitting by the radio, just waiting to take things the wrong way so they have their say. I didn't know about the Catholic Charities, I'll call them. And Ian you didn't tell me anything I didn't want to hear, you just assumed. thanks to all who gave the advice, I have checked out a couple of websites that were recommended, I think I know what I need to do now. I guess I just panicked and missed some UK chatter.
thanks again
xx
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Lunadria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I get that a lot when I tell people stuff they don't want to hear. While others will gloss over and minimize the issues, I have no problem going for the jugular. Good luck to you!

Ian

Constructive criticisms are one thing, but being rude is quite another. Saying she feels alone in a country she moved to in order to be able to marry the man she loves is hardly whining. You're trying to tell me that packing up all your belongings and leaving those you love in order to be happy would be easy for you? Some people aren't very good at explaining their situations when it comes to LDR's and just because you don't like how they put their experience in a post here doesn't mean you should be disrespectful. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

Last edited by Lunadria; Oct 12th 2007 at 6:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.