Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration: Can Alabama solve a problem called Maria?

Immigration: Can Alabama solve a problem called Maria?

Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration: Can Alabama solve a problem called Maria?

I found this BBC article pretty thought provoking. One issue that hadn't crossed my mind was the implication for business travelers/workers etc which the article briefly mentioned:
  • A German Mercedes-Benz executive, visiting on business, was arrested for driving a rental vehicle without a licence. The charges were later dropped
  • A Japanese auto worker at a Honda plant was stopped at a police roadblock and issued a citation, despite carrying his passport and international driver's licence
I wonder how good the training will be in order to ensure that the Police Officers are properly trained to recognize the the different work/family visas in the US, e.g. H, L and O visas, etc. For example, many Driving License offices can't seem to get it right with people getting told different things in different offices.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16040476
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration: Can Alabama solve a problem called Maria?

Remember this is an editorial piece, not a news story.

I was stopped, 7 years ago?, when I was using my UK License, so no difference from Colorado then and and Alabama now.

I am also a TIPS trainer, part time bar staff at the local ski resorts are required to be able to check foreign DL's for validity. So why not full time Police Officers.

PS there is no such thing as an International Drivers License.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cops usually have an identification guide in their cars, basically it shows pictures of all the IDs issued in the US, Canada and Mexico including most of the common immigration ones such as EADs, LPR cards and so on. There might be a couple of pages with pictures of foreign IDs as well, e.g. an EU licence.

With access to mobile internet now I would guess that most large PDs have some sort of database that can be accessed OTA.

If you've ever been pulled over while using a foreign ID and the cop takes it back to his car and takes ages to come back, usually it's because he's hunting around for his ID guide and looking through it.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Cops usually have an identification guide in their cars, basically it shows pictures of all the IDs issued in the US, Canada and Mexico including most of the common immigration ones such as EADs, LPR cards and so on. There might be a couple of pages with pictures of foreign IDs as well, e.g. an EU licence.

With access to mobile internet now I would guess that most large PDs have some sort of database that can be accessed OTA.

If you've ever been pulled over while using a foreign ID and the cop takes it back to his car and takes ages to come back, usually it's because he's hunting around for his ID guide and looking through it.
So, I'm a US citizen with an Arizona license and a decidedly non-American accent. What does the cop do with me?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So, I'm a US citizen with an Arizona license and a decidedly non-American accent. What does the cop do with me?
He lets you go because you are White.

Jim.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Makes some stupid sarcastic joke about how do you like living in the colonies then you have an argument about how Britain won the War of 1812 even though Americans think they won it.

Not that that has ever happened to me...
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Relevant link.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
I'd be using the forms here.

http://www.almd.uscourts.gov/repself/prose_forms.htm
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few suggestions come to mind
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:11 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by lansbury
Quite a few suggestions come to mind

Should have enough to retire on. Pity it's the poor taxpayer who's paying for it all, though.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:30 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully something involving pepper spray and a nightstick.

And staying on topic - I support the AL law 100%! Lets hope the other 49 states do something similar!

Last edited by ljaw2002uk; Dec 7th 2011 at 10:34 pm. Reason: Added to.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 11:03 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
And staying on topic - I support the AL law 100%! Lets hope the other 49 states do something similar!
I'm really not sure you've thought it through. What are you hoping to achieve by it?
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:16 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not sure you've thought it through. What are you hoping to achieve by it?
Anything that hinders the travel plans of German Mercedes-Benz executives has to be a good thing.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:26 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If it's an ICE agent, probably throw you in jail.

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscent...-citizens.html
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What is a bit daft about this case...they must be used to seeing a large number of German and Japanese business folks around for business, being part of companies that are some of the largest employers in the state.

This seems to be just some git being overly pedantic. Anyone else getting pulled for not having a drivers license on them would probably just get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again at most. So this is more likely a case of picking on the foreign sounding person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.