Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

immigration attorney recommendation

immigration attorney recommendation

Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration attorney recommendation

I'm having a tough time finding someone who is reliable. I went to see an immigration attorney the other day who spent a whole 5 minutes with me telling me what I already know off this forum and other sites, For this, I had the pleasure of paying him my hard earnt cash (consultation fee). Felt cheated to say the least. I think a good attorney will ask you questions to probe you for information. To that end, can someone who personally has used an immigration attorney recommend them? I am looking for real experiences where youv'e been happy with the experience rather than just contacts (i.e. ffamily and friends). Someone in the AZ, NV, CA region would be great.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration attorney recommendation

J Craig Fong is often mentioned by the resident retired attorney on these boards.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nudda
I'm having a tough time finding someone who is reliable. I went to see an immigration attorney the other day who spent a whole 5 minutes with me telling me what I already know off this forum and other sites, For this, I had the pleasure of paying him my hard earnt cash (consultation fee). Felt cheated to say the least. I think a good attorney will ask you questions to probe you for information. To that end, can someone who personally has used an immigration attorney recommend them? I am looking for real experiences where youv'e been happy with the experience rather than just contacts (i.e. family and friends). Someone in the AZ, NV, CA region would be great.

Thanks!
Conversely, I think you have just proved what people are invariably told here, that unless you have significant complicating factors, such as a criminal record, a lawyer won't add any value and that you can get all the support you'll need here on BE.

I think you have been told this before, but now you've paid some legal fees and have only apparently proved that the advice given here previously was good advice.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the J Craig Fong recommendation.

Pulsaki - I have been told I need to consult an immigration attorney for specific matters which is what I tried to do. I am essentially trying to figure out (a) can I change jobs without any negative conseqeunces and (b) if there is any way to expedite my i485. I ask about 'b' only because I have read on some sites that its possible to speed up the process if a letter can be obtained from the employing company about losing a resource if things do not speed up. I wouldnt be in a position to use this exact reasoning maybe but wanted to determine if there are other ways to speed up processing. I thought this would only be possible if I consulted an immigration attorney myself.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the J Craig Fong recommendation.

Pulsaki - I have been told I need to consult an immigration attorney for specific matters which is what I tried to do. I am essentially trying to figure out (a) can I change jobs without any negative conseqeunces and (b) if there is any way to expedite my i485. I ask about 'b' only because I have read on some sites that its possible to speed up the process if a letter can be obtained from the employing company about losing a resource if things do not speed up. I wouldnt be in a position to use this exact reasoning maybe but wanted to determine if there are other ways to speed up processing. I thought this would only be possible if I consulted an immigration attorney myself.
As a preface this is all back in 2010 under an administration with different goals, but my experience was that their is more you can do than just wait, but I have no idea if it helped or was a coincidence, and your situation is obviously different.

I had my i485 pending and wanted it to come through so I would feel comfortable committing to a US mortgage on a US property, I was also given the impression that the loan approval process and rate would be better as I could be seen as lower risk. This apartment was not just for me, but also for my USC girl friend / now wife.

My I485 was not filled concurrent, the I-140 was approved in about 10 months and the company lawyers filled the I485 about 4 months later at my request and it took an additional 7 months to approve.

After waiting for some time the company lawyers filled a request and I did an info-pass afterwards, but we got no new information.

I finally wrote to the office of the Senator (D) who represented the district I lived in with my USC girlfriend and detailed the negative impact on her as a USC for the delay and asked if they could get an update. They had a form and specific team who handled it, so I presume they get a lot of similar requests. I have no way of knowing if my request sped it up, but 2 days later I got the approval email.

Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
I had my i485 pending and wanted it to come through so I would feel comfortable committing to a US mortgage on a US property, I was also given the impression that the loan approval process and rate would be better as I could be seen as lower risk. This apartment was not just for me, but also for my USC girl friend / now wife.

My I485 was not filled concurrent, the I-140 was approved in about 10 months and the company lawyers filled the I485 about 4 months later at my request and it took an additional 7 months to approve.

After waiting for some time the company lawyers filled a request and I did an info-pass afterwards, but we got no new information.

I finally wrote to the office of the Senator (D) who represented the district I lived in with my USC girlfriend and detailed the negative impact on her as a USC for the delay and asked if they could get an update. They had a form and specific team who handled it, so I presume they get a lot of similar requests. I have no way of knowing if my request sped it up, but 2 days later I got the approval email.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually am not too far off your situation. I am close to the 7th month for the i485 pending, have a USC girlfriend and have not bought a property because i want to get a better rate on the mortgage showing them i am here to stay via GC. Maybe I can do something simialr to you? Would it be possible for you to share the redacted letter you sent to the office of the Senator so that I can use it as a template? I am sure my girlfiend will support me on this. p.s: No plans to marry yet Thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can expedite EAD or AP if you have reasons, they do seem to be more picky so you need a good documented reason.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can expedite EAD or AP if you have reasons, they do seem to be more picky so you need a good documented reason.
Thanks Boiler but already have EAD/AP card in hand. It does seem this isnt good enough to change jobs through (I spoke to a recruiter about a job yesterday and they are not willing to accept it for employment)
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Boiler but already have EAD/AP card in hand. It does seem this isnt good enough to change jobs through (I spoke to a recruiter about a job yesterday and they are not willing to accept it for employment)
Well there are Federal discrimination Laws, now some jobs require security clearance, you have to be a USC, but an Employer would outside of these be opening themselves to a law case. Recruiter, well I guess they can decide who they take on, or not.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well there are Federal discrimination Laws, now some jobs require security clearance, you have to be a USC, but an Employer would outside of these be opening themselves to a law case. Recruiter, well I guess they can decide who they take on, or not.
The role I was interested in that they were really interested in hiring me for didnt need SC. They just have their own strict policy on only hiring someone with minimum a GC. Whilst this is discrimination, I wouldn't opt to fight a case against them to hire me
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

So your basis for an expedite is that you have a prospective Employer who does not comply with Federal Law.

I suppose the first thing you would need is documentation from them to support their illegal discrimination practices.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

So your basis for an expedite is that you have a prospective Employer who does not comply with Federal Law.

I suppose the first thing you would need is documentation from them to support their illegal discrimination practices.
no the "other" job is not related. I am just trying to expedite the i485 process somehow to get a mortgage at the best rate and be able to move jobs if needed (lots of uncertainty as to what happens with the current job).
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The role I was interested in that they were really interested in hiring me for didnt need SC. They just have their own strict policy on only hiring someone with minimum a GC. Whilst this is discrimination, I wouldn't opt to fight a case against them to hire me
Yeah, may want to stay away from a place that is quite possibly breaking federal law.

Reality is that unless they're government jobs, or a government contract, the employer cannot dictate what evidence you use on an I-9 to prove eligiblity to work.

My advice is keep your immigration status to yourself. If asked if you need sponsoring the answer is "no."
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
Yeah, may want to stay away from a place that is quite possibly breaking federal law.

Reality is that unless they're government jobs, or a government contract, the employer cannot dictate what evidence you use on an I-9 to prove eligiblity to work.

My advice is keep your immigration status to yourself. If asked if you need sponsoring the answer is "no."
Awesome. Many thanks for the info. I did not know this
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I also found the below which confirms what you have said tom169 (not that I doubted you but wanted to see if I could find a source).

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/em...discrimination

Last edited by nudda; Apr 18th 2019 at 4:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.