Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Marriage I took for granted, I sort of assumed E2 for a Construction business.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 3:41 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to somewhere without even visiting first...only one word for that... crazy.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 4:04 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Moving to somewhere without even visiting first...only one word for that... crazy.
But 10 years of research! Into what, I don’t know because it didn’t include “an I even eligible for a visa for the USA?”. Surely that should be day 1 of your research.

I have in-laws that work in Alaska. Miners. 20 days there and 10 days at home here in Washington. Rinse and repeat. The money is good for miners there. So good that their wives don’t need to work (one of them does work part-time but purely for something to do and because her friend works at the same place too). But they travel back and forth because they couldn’t imagine raising their families there. One brother-in-law did move his wife and children there to see how it would go. I think they lasted a year. They used to work in mines in Nevada but they make double in Alaska.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Historically most migrants went to the colonies with no prior information. We have gone soft in modern times. Many will only go if they have seen it on TV first ! As for the OP, looking at Pulaski's spin on Migration to the USA - no chance !

Last edited by scot47; Sep 29th 2018 at 4:33 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
But 10 years of research! Into what, I don’t know because it didn’t include “an I even eligible for a visa for the USA?”. Surely that should be day 1 of your research.
This seems a little harsh. The UK passport is one of the most "powerful" in the world, in that it allows widespread and extensive visa-free opportunites.

So you do realize, with the ever increasing ease of international travel, that needing a visa to enter another country isn't always something that the uninitiated might consider from the get go?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visiting is on thing, moving another.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

At least one should visit in the dead of summer and in the dead of winter for a minimum of 2 weeks each to get a "feel" for the place. I know just from being in Fairbanks what it was like to go from Denali National Park with a lovely 60 degree weather to Fairbanks where the temps a week later were over 95 and darkness was all of 2 hours is like. Juneau is considered the rain forest and yes, it was just that, rainy and dismal.

Alaska is home to millions of people and not all of them work mines or panning for gold or doing and living how the Gold Rush or Bering Sea Gold shows tell us. There are beautiful metropolitan cities such as Fairbanks and Anchorage. Not all Alaskans live in mobile homes or river shacks or log cabins. It might not be what I or you might like but for millions it is their cuppa tea. Now they have to decide how they are going to do this.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Actually, there are LOTS of words for it. Crazy is one of the milder ones!
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Actually, there are LOTS of words for it. Crazy is one of the milder ones!
Really? I and many others I know emigrated without visiting first. Take my grandparents (both sets) for example. When my dad's family came from Ireland to Canada they didn't visit first. It seems with 4 generations of their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and now great-great-grandchildren maybe they were crazy. Same with my mother's parents when they emigrated from England. My grandfather had been in the Royal Navy and had sailed many places, but Canada wasn't one of them. They seemed to make a go of it, living there quite happily from the late 1910/early 1920s until their deaths in the 1970s. Absolute insanity I tell ya!
Old Sep 30th 2018, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

In your words, really?

You're going to compare fleeing the Irish potato famine with someone deciding to live in Alaska without visiting first?

Give me a break!

There are many places to where one could emigrate without visiting, but Alaska isn't one of them. I've actually visited the state and it's beautiful, but I wouldn't want to contemplate coping with a winter up there.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, and yes, this is just a friendly discussion, why does it matter the reason for the migration. People have been leaving their places of birth for centuries to take up residency elsewhere, sight unseen. My mother never came to America before she emigrated. Although she had a USC husband, coming to America was a foreign, strange and not exactly a welcoming place for her to take up residency, particularly without knowing the language. Both my paternal grandparents came from Poland in the 1880's to start life away from war and persecution. My husband's grandparents were the same as Dorothy's and left the shores of England and Ireland to seek new and better homes in Canada. His English grandfather was a barrister so it wasn't a matter of leaving a country where he was starving or didn't already have a good life. His Irish mother went to Newfoundland and then to Montreal. For her, it was a matter of escaping poverty. For the generation of those grandparents and even my mother, travel for pleasure to distant shores were unrealistic. No planes for a quick vacation but rather a long and expensive boat trip to explore countries one might want to live in.

Thankfully, the world is made up of adventurers as well as those of us who are more shall we say grounded people. My hats off to anyone who does something like this. If it fails, they can always move on. It is unkind to paint everyone with the same brush that we used to paint ourselves.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 30th 2018 at 2:15 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 2:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
In your words, really?

You're going to compare fleeing the Irish potato famine with someone deciding to live in Alaska without visiting first?

Give me a break!

There are many places to where one could emigrate without visiting, but Alaska isn't one of them. I've actually visited the state and it's beautiful, but I wouldn't want to contemplate coping with a winter up there.
That's you, and thankfully not everyone thinks the same. Many of us actually have done exactly what the OP wants to do. My ex and I had never been to Australia when we emigrated . I know many others who've done the same.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The term "snowbird" exists for a reason.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by tom169
The term "snowbird" exists for a reason.
Yes, it does. It is to designate those who are in a position financially from Canada and the US who live in areas where winter is hard for the elderly. My in-laws were snowbirds for over a decade when they would leave Montreal for Florida in November and not return to Canada until late April. The prerequisite is to wear white socks with sandals to separate you from the natives.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, it does. It is to designate those who are in a position financially from Canada and the US who live in areas where winter is hard for the elderly. My in-laws were snowbirds for over a decade when they would leave Montreal for Florida in November and not return to Canada until late April. The prerequisite is to wear white socks with sandals to separate you from the natives.
Ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.