Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Old Sep 28th 2018, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

surferchappie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

Hello, my missus and I have toyed with the idea of emigration to Aladka for the last 10+ years.
We have not visited but have researched a great deal of it and the spark has not died, we truly are in love with the place.

Some particulars:
• unmarried
• 1 child (+1 en route)
• [she] is a teacher (BSc 2.1 Sports Psychology)
• [I] am self employed (LLB Law 2.1, Owner/Director New Build Housing firm)
• Neither of us have applied to any jobs
• No contact with any businesses in Alaska has been made
• Little research into vacancies has been done (tbh I envisage establishing my own company)
• Homeowners with c£90k banked
• Future liquid asset boost of c£300k (current developments - I can roll this forward, or I can cash out)

We would like some hands-on advice / honest feedback on our chances of successfully emigrating to Alaska - if it is not feasible we hear Siberia may be accepting applications...
Old Sep 28th 2018, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration to Alaska: complete noob

It's a little strange to want to move to a place you haven't even visited.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:11 am
Just Joined

surferchappie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tom169
It's a little strange to want to move to a place you haven't even visited.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply - whilst what you have said holds true bearing for the most part it is not quite 'up to date'; with the availability of technology a place can be visited without ever having physically been there - I had stated that vast amounts of research have been done over the last 10+ years, this has suggested Alaska is somewhere we would like to settle.
Nevertheless, thanks for your input.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surferchappie
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply - whilst what you have said holds true bearing for the most part it is not quite 'up to date'; with the availability of technology a place can be visited without ever having physically been there - I had stated that vast amounts of research have been done over the last 10+ years, this has suggested Alaska is somewhere we would like to settle.
Many people on here will, I am sure, agree that no amount of research can prepare you for everyday life somewhere. For starters, do you have any real idea what the cold of Alaska feels like - for months on end?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:23 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the US immigration wiki at the top of the first page of threads in this forum, then read the item entitled Pulaski’s Ways. I’m useless at links on my phone, otherwise I’d give you one!
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surferchappie
Hi Tom,
​​​​​​Nothing compares to visiting. Why not go for a couple weeks in each season?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll be the first to tell you that with the information given, you have two hopes of fulfilling this dream-no hope and Bob Hope - and Bob’s dead!

Read Pulaski’s Ways in the Wiki section and you’ll see why.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious why a surfer chap is interested in Alaska or Siberia. Perhaps there is some new culture I am ignorant of.
I don't know the visa requirements for Siberia, but I think it is your best bet.

There used to be a regular member on here called Jan alaska aka jan michigan who might have pertinent info.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what you've stated so far, no chance.

You might find this thread of interest: Moving to Alaska (Fairbanks)

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:20 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I’d like to be privy to this research that demonstrates that the state with the highest unemployment rate, the highest cost of living, one the lowest life expectancies, the second highest suicide rate in the country, one of the lowest GED pass rates, double the national homicide rate is the most ideal place to move a family thousands of miles to without ever having seen the place.

Why not Washington? We have mountains, volcanos, more snow than Alaska (I live a short distance from the place that officially receives the most snow on earth), but we have much lower unemployment, a lower cost of living, better standard of living. Alaska is beautiful to visit. Living there is something even many Alaskans don’t want for their children.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 3:24 am
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I’d like to be privy to this research that demonstrates that the state with the highest unemployment rate, the highest cost of living, one the lowest life expectancies, the second highest suicide rate in the country, one of the lowest GED pass rates, double the national homicide rate is the most ideal place to move a family thousands of miles to without ever having seen the place.

Why not Washington? We have mountains, volcanos, more snow than Alaska (I live a short distance from the place that officially receives the most snow on earth), but we have much lower unemployment, a lower cost of living, better standard of living. Alaska is beautiful to visit. Living there is something even many Alaskans don’t want for their children.
Unrelated - but I miss Washington :'(
Old Sep 29th 2018, 9:00 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what you've said you have no route to a visa to live and work in the US.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it doesn't seem that you would qualify for a visa for the US, but if cold and isolated are what you're after, have you looked at Canada? You could aim for somewhere like the Yukon maybe? Without knowing more details about you it's hard to say for sure you'd qualify for a visa for Canada, but from your initial info it looks promising and is certainly much more likely than the US.

Agree with all of the above though, you definitely need to visit somewhere before going through the hassle and the cost (tens of thousands - emigration isn't cheap) of moving your family to somewhere you've never been before. But if you can check out visa eligibility as the first step then hopefully that will help you narrow down the places to visit.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not going to say it can not be done but also find it strange in the 10 years you have not visited.

I have not been to Alaska but know people who have lived there and do live there and would not put such a bleak outlet.

Canada may be a better option.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I am curious why a surfer chap is interested in Alaska or Siberia. Perhaps there is some new culture I am ignorant of.
I don't know the visa requirements for Siberia, but I think it is your best bet.

There used to be a regular member on here called Jan alaska aka jan michigan who might have pertinent info.
My first thought was Jan, as well, and she does pop her head in once in a while. Hers was a marriage-based visa immigration so that part is of no help to the OP.

I've been to Alaska. A hauntingly beautiful place. Majestic and awe inspiring. The climate is harsh. The winter season long, cold, dark and forbidding. Yes, I see it on Mountain Men and on real estate shows such as Buying Alaska and it is as gorgeous a place as seen on television. Nothing absolutely nothing equals first hand visitation of the land and country you want to emigrate to for true knowledge.

From your educational backgrounds and your work experience, unless you were an attorney/barrister, I don't see that there is much hope for your obtaining a work visa. Your girlfriend might stand a chance being a teacher of sort she can try that avenue. If you wanted to ride her coat tails or her yours, you will need to marry first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.