Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to the US to be with my girlfriend

Immigrating to the US to be with my girlfriend

Old Dec 30th 2018, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Dannew2398 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to the US to be with my girlfriend

I first started talking to my girlfriend around 3 years ago after we met online through gaming and we began dating 2 years ago. I have visited her 4 times for a total of around 17 weeks across all 4 visits. I am 20 years old, she is 19 and I have no criminal record. I would like to move here to be with her after I finish my degree in 2 more years. I am studying for a masters degree in urban development and planning. I have browsed around online to understand the options and it seems the only way is through marriage, however I was wondering if there are any other options. Not that I would be completely against marriage, but with us both being young I wanna was wondering if I have any other options? I find the immigration laws confusing so if anyone has been in a similar situation and made it work I’d love to hear your stories on how you guys did it. Thanks in advance
Old Dec 30th 2018, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to the US to be with my girlfriend

No, marriage is not the only way..

This will keep you occupied for a bit.

Short story..
Marriage, company transfer, business/study are potential routes.
Many here did it through marriage or company transfers. Some do it via a study program like a PhD

REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US?

(Urban planning is quite a hot topic these days...)
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=urban+planning&l=

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 30th 2018 at 7:05 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

i appreciate your fast response. I’ll give that a read. Thank you
Old Dec 30th 2018, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW.
If you really, really want to move to the US, in my opinion you're at a good age and education level to be planning it.
Good luck but read through the material and come back with specific questions if you wish.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 7:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Options are:
- Marriage visa (by far the easiest)
- H1-B visa (but unlikely as a recent graduate)
- L visa (intercompany transfer. . Need to work at least 1 year in UK)
- F-1 student visa for higher education in the USA.

Rene
Old Dec 30th 2018, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

I will research those options. Thanks
Old Dec 31st 2018, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

In reality, at your age, marriage is likely to be the only option. If you are thinking 5 years+ then a work visa would be much more likely.

A J1 might be do-able, but it's going to confine you to going where the program is.