Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant visa granted but issue with husband and 13 year old daughter

Immigrant visa granted but issue with husband and 13 year old daughter

Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant visa granted but issue with husband and 13 year old daughter

Originally Posted by crg
They often are, but not in this type of case. The US citizen petitioned for her mother. (IR5) IR5 is exempt priority dates, but the child of the IR5 cannot piggyback because there is a separate classification for siblings in the 4th family preference.

The US citizen's sister would be an F41. The F41 is subject to priority dates and a decade + wait at the moment which would be over 20 years for someone from the Philippines.
So being a sibling for immigration purposes trumps being the child of an immigrating permanent resident? That sucks!
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant visa granted but issue with husband and 13 year old daughter

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I understand that children each need their own visa. I meant if a visa is processed for an adult, their children can (I say "can" not "would" because a non-custodial divorced parent wouldn't be taking the child(ren) with them) be automatically approved for a derivative visa. No?
No.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So being a sibling for immigration purposes trumps being the child of an immigrating permanent resident? That sucks!
Yes. Until that child's parent actually IS a US PR, then an I-130 can be filed for the child of a US PR. But not before.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Immediate Relatives like a parent get quite a few benefits, what they do not get is derivative beneficiaries, children being the obvious one.

Sort of makes sense if you think of it.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't minor children always automatically added (addable) to their parent's visa application? As far as I know they are.
As noted above, there is a quirk in the immigration scheme that there is not a derivative classification of "accompany or follow to join" of "immediate relative" status.

That quirk is ensconced in the organic statute [aka "Immigration & Nationality Act of 1952, as amended" usually referred to as the "INA" or "Act"].

Once had a case where a newly minted [e.g. naturalized] US citizen wanted to sponsor her 19 year old unmarried daughter as a "child." The child was a a single mother. The "child" fit within both the "immediate relative" and what First Preference [now known as "FB-1"] classification. We sought to elect to use P-1 in order to sweep in the client's grandson. Pursuant to State's FAM, daughter was required to use to the IR classification. We were able to physically bring in the grandchild in fairly short order but the actual admission to LPR was delayed several years.

OP has an unfortunate situation. There are things that perhaps could have been taken care of quite some time ago, but OP chose not to explore those avenues.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rose UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
There are things that perhaps could have been taken care of quite some time ago, but OP chose not to explore those avenues.
Can you please explain. I know it's too late for me, but perhaps the information may assist others
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rose UK
Can you please explain. I know it's too late for me, but perhaps the information may assist others
He's referring to all those things that were mentioned in that earlier thread. Number one thing being to consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Such a sad chain of events but hopefully others can learn from the mistake and avoid making such a mistake.

I hope it acts as a resource for others to learn from.