Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Im pregant, my boyfriend has moved to the USA, how can I go with him?

Im pregant, my boyfriend has moved to the USA, how can I go with him?

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im pregant, my boyfriend has moved to the USA, how can I go with him?

Another thing to consider: if she leaves the US (e.g. because her visa expires), she may not be allowed to take the child out of the country without the father's consent.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

LeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really nice
Default Re: Im pregant, my boyfriend has moved to the USA, how can I go with him?

Originally Posted by Noorah101

If you guys had done some research ahead of time, you would have known how the system works, and could have worked around it, instead of now feeling trapped by it.

Rene
Hi,

Don't mean to sound argumentative.

But would you have suggested we did differently...?

Thank you.

I plan to have the baby in the UK. Already aware of the high price of health care in the USA. Unfortunately it means that I will not have my partner around at the time of the birth as he has a new job in the USA and can't get leave.

Rete
My boyfriend was brought legally to the USA by his parents when he was a child. His dad was working for a British company, on a work visa. When a child turns 21 his parents cannot sponsor the child any more and the child has to return home. His other younger brothers and sisters were all born in the USA. His parents later divorced and they both married Americans and got their citizenship that way. They divorced because his dad was having an affair, not for so that could marry Americans to get visas.

As my boyfriend siblings are natural born citizens, his parents citizens through marriage and he has spent a large part of his life in the USA it is only understandable that he wishes to be with his family in the USA.

I have a BA, MA, and a PHD in History, I also have a BS in Physics.

Last edited by LeftAloneInUK; Aug 23rd 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
How the heck did he live in the US for 15 of his formative years without legal status? His mom took the family there on vacation and never left?

If not, then your boyfriend's story does add up.
She didn't actually say that her partner had no legal status, only that he had to leave the US when he turned 21. This could have happened, for example, if his mother had been an E2 visa holder.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeftAloneInUK
Hi,

Don't mean to sound argumentative.

That's OK, I was just wondering why you both didn't research and understand more about the options before he moved to the USA, and before getting pregnant, to make sure the whole process would be smoother. You mentioned that if he had married you, it would have changed his immigration category and added another few years to the wait time. But that might have been a better option overall, allowing you to stay together as a married couple, have the baby together, and immigrate together. As it is now, you're still faced with an added few years until you can immigrate...but now it's apart and alone with a baby. I understand what's done is done, I was just thinking you guys could have made a better decision if you had been better informed...maybe posting this as a reminder those reading your thread in the future, to do all your homework ahead of time.

I plan to have the baby in the UK. Already aware of the high price of health care in the USA. Unfortunately it means that I will not have my partner around at the time of the birth as he has a new job in the USA and can't get leave.
I am really sorry he won't be there for the birth, I know that must be a special time that you must have both wanted to go through together.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Another thing to consider: if she leaves the US (e.g. because her visa expires), she may not be allowed to take the child out of the country without the father's consent.
They plan to marry; I'm sure their immigration decisions will be mutually compatible?

I think Rene was commenting more on your surprise in this moment about what would happen after your BF's parent-driven immigration went through (IE, you didn't marry because you knew it would change his category).
There wasn't much of a different way to do it, other than planning your pregnancy differently.

The point is, the situation for you NOW is 1000% better than it was at this time last year. Up to just very recently, the wait for a visa number for the spouse of a PR was about 5 years, +the year of visa processing. If you start to learn about this (and really, imo, HE should be the one doing some work on your behalf.. you're going to be a little busy) process so you can be ready to strike the moment a visa is available.

I understand that it's not ideal, with the baby and all, but if you are not going to be able to go immediately on an employment visa, all you can do now is to start working all your options. Like that job offer you had before.. stay in touch with them. Perhaps they'll be willing in a half year or later when you are ready, post-baby, to relocate.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
She didn't actually say that her partner had no legal status, only that he had to leave the US when he turned 21. This could have happened, for example, if his mother had been an E2 visa holder.
I questioned it because it is highly unusual for someone to get a work visa and after 15 years still not have a green card.

She replied just before you wrote with their visa status at the time they were living here.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

LeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really niceLeftAloneInUK is just really nice

Thank you both.

You are both being really kind and helpful.

I think the best thing to do is to have the baby and then try and get a study visa, if not I will just have to wait a few years.

I can't believe it used to be five years! It seems a very long time to wait to be with someone you love.

Really I do understand America has a big immigration problem, I don't mind waiting my turn in the line to come to the USA legally and to pay my own way.

Last edited by LeftAloneInUK; Aug 23rd 2010 at 7:19 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

it is only understandable that he wishes to be with his family in the USA.
Don't forget that you and the baby are his family, too! At his age, I would have thought that you would trump mum and dad and the siblings!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best thing to do is to have the baby and then try and get a study visa...
Why don't you want to get married ASAP and do the Immigrant Visa?

Or do you mean: Get married ASAP and get the I-130 in the system...and then in the meantime try for a student visa? The problem with that would be, you'll have immigrant intent, and students are not supposed to have immigrant intent.

Come to think of it, might be hard to overcome the immigrant intent that goes along with a student visa, even if you aren't married yet. After all, your SO lives in the USA, and your baby is his.

Rene
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Good point, I was just wondering that too.

I guess we should just get married and get the I-130 in the system.

In the long run, I guess this would be quicker too. It would save having to go through another change of visa at a later date.

Do you think they would have a problem with my boyfriend soon to be husband flying back and forth from the USA to the UK often to visit us?

Nutmegger

LOL You would think so.

Last edited by LeftAloneInUK; Aug 23rd 2010 at 7:26 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why don't you want to get married ASAP and do the Immigrant Visa?

Or do you mean: Get married ASAP and get the I-130 in the system...and then in the meantime try for a student visa? The problem with that would be, you'll have immigrant intent, and students are not supposed to have immigrant intent.

Come to think of it, might be hard to overcome the immigrant intent that goes along with a student visa, even if you aren't married yet. After all, your SO lives in the USA, and your baby is his.

Rene
Good questions to pose to the immigration lawyer.. the more irons in the fire, the better?