Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

If I apply for a B1/B2 and do not get it. Will I have problems entering on a VWP

If I apply for a B1/B2 and do not get it. Will I have problems entering on a VWP

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

scoobysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I apply for a B1/B2 and do not get it. Will I have problems entering on a VWP

I hear so many stories about people that have applied for a visa of some sort and failed to get it, then having problems getting through customs on a Visa Waiver. Is this the case.
Do you have to tick the box that asks have you ever been refused a visa or been refused entry, and if so will this cause a problem.

Me and my wife plan to try and get a B1/B2 and then apply to extent it when we are over. Just wanted to know if for some reason we don't get it will we have any issues at the customs in the future.

Many thanks

Steve
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I apply for a B1/B2 and do not get it. Will I have problems entering on a VWP

Originally Posted by scoobysteve
Is this the case.
Yes.

Do you have to tick the box that asks have you ever been refused a visa or been refused entry, and if so will this cause a problem.
Yes... unless you want to lie to US immigration - which I wouldn't advise as you might end up with a lifetime ban.

Me and my wife plan to try and get a B1/B2 and then apply to extent it when we are over.
What are you going to be doing that 90-days on the VWP isn't long enough and 6 months on a B-2 visa isn't long enough? If the officer gets it into his head that you're trying to "live" in the US rather than just "visit", he'll send you home valid visa or not.

Just wanted to know if for some reason we don't get it will we have any issues at the customs in the future.
Probably, yes.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:33 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I apply for a B1/B2 and do not get it. Will I have problems entering on a VWP

Why do you need a year in the US? How will you support yourself? Would you maintain a foreign residence?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I hear so many stories about people that have applied for a visa of some sort and failed to get it, then having problems getting through customs on a Visa Waiver. Is this the case.
Define 'problem'.
You do have to declare the denied visa, and reports here are that you usually go to Secondary Inspection to explain it. Explanation on the first visit doesn't make it go away either, you have to declare it and explain it each time.

Me and my wife plan to try and get a B1/B2 and then apply to extent it when we are over. Just wanted to know if for some reason we don't get it will we have any issues at the customs in the future.
Customs? What are you bringing?
You know it has to be a really, really good reason for an extension, it's not just an automatic thing. Past 'good reasons' that I have read include 'I am in the hospital and can not be discharged' etc.
Your past posts indicate that you want to live in your house here; I'm not sure the B plan is appropriate?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg14624
Why do you need a year in the US? How will you support yourself? Would you maintain a foreign residence?
OK we are fortunate to own a few properties in Florida and think we would like to live there. We dont quite know yet how, but we were thinking EB5, BUT before investing in 500,000 Dollars we would like to know if in fact we would be able to live there. having many holidays there is not enough to know if its what you really want, we live in Portugal and it took about 9 months before we knew it felt like a place we could live in. So we thought that we would be honest when applying for our B1/B2 that would say that we wanted to invest into a EB5 project BUT wanted to experience living in the US for what would seem like a long enough time to know if life experiences were tolerable, we would have 150,000 Dollars in our bank account to show as collateral for the duration and would probably wish to extend the B!/B2 to the maximum of 1 year, enough time for us to decide if we wanted to invest all our money and therefore commit ourselves to living in the US. This to me does not sound unreasonable. Why would anyone uplift themselves throw all their money into a country and then find out 15 months down the road that they cant stand aspects of the way of life there, something they could not experience in 3 month on a VWP.

Your thoughts would be seriously appreciated.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your thoughts would be seriously appreciated.
My layman's thought is that as soon as you say you want to test out "living in the USA", you'll be denied the B-2.

You might get away with getting approval to *visit* the USA for 6 months, if you are closer to retirement age and can prove you have the funds (as you can). But the B-2 extension is only given under certain circumstances, such as you are in the hospital and unable to catch your flight....not because you just need more time to figure out if the USA is for you.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My layman's thought is that as soon as you say you want to test out "living in the USA", you'll be denied the B-2.

You might get away with getting approval to *visit* the USA for 6 months, if you are closer to retirement age and can prove you have the funds (as you can). But the B-2 extension is only given under certain circumstances, such as you are in the hospital and unable to catch your flight....not because you just need more time to figure out if the USA is for you.

Rene
This whole thing sucks, is it easier to become Cuban and swim to Miami and get a automatic green card.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
How is it not reasonable to ask for a stay of execution whilst you decide if the country you wish to invest 500,000 Dollars in is for you or not. Double bloody standards, sometimes I really wish I was not born in the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How is it not reasonable to ask for a stay of execution whilst you decide if the country you wish to invest 500,000 Dollars in is for you or not. Double bloody standards, sometimes I really wish I was not born in the UK.
Why blame the UK...what has it got to do with it?

The reason is simple...the US neither wants or needs you unless you have something very special to offer.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Double bloody standards, sometimes I really wish I was not born in the UK.
This has nothing to do with your being born in the UK. It has to do with the notion that you somehow feel entitled to special treatment from the US government because you own property and have money to burn. There is no "try it and see" visa. Full stop. End of story. You take the risk... or you don't. It's a simple concept.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The point of an investment is that it stands on its own. It is either a good investment or it is not a good investment (good for your portfolio).

The green card is a bonus if you do decide to live here to manage your investment (tho with the EB-5 schemes I don't think you get to do that anyway). I think the problem you're having is misunderstanding the purpose of the EB-5 and making it fit what you want.

I'm sure we went over all this about the B visa before.. nothing has really changed.

(if you hadn't been born in the UK, would you have the opportunity to even put your mitts on the EB-5 fee? )
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems reasonable to you and me. But unfortunately, there is no "try living in the USA and see if we like it" visa.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why blame the UK...what has it got to do with it?

The reason is simple...the US neither wants or needs you unless you have something very special to offer.
How about 500,000 Dollars and 10 jobs. in this time of hardship isn't that enough. The reason why I blame the UK is that if I was from a load more other countries, like Potugal where I live I could at least enter the green card lottery.

Listen folks I am not being unreasonable here, when anyone is about to invest a lot of money they need reassurances that things will work out.
I just want to know for certain that me and my wife could in fact live in the US, before we dump all our hard earned cash into a EB5 project. On the surface we love being in the US, but having a vacation in a country does not give you a insight to how it is like to live in that country.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:38 pm

On the surface we love being in the US, but having a vacation in a country does not give you a insight to how it is like to live in that country.
The only way you'll know what it's like to live in the USA, is to move here with a visa that allows you to do that. The B-2 and VWP do not allow you to live in the USA....only visit for either 90 days on the VWP...or if you're lucky, 6 months on the B-2.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
The point of an investment is that it stands on its own. It is either a good investment or it is not a good investment (good for your portfolio).

The green card is a bonus if you do decide to live here to manage your investment (tho with the EB-5 schemes I don't think you get to do that anyway). I think the problem you're having is misunderstanding the purpose of the EB-5 and making it fit what you want.

I'm sure we went over all this about the B visa before.. nothing has really changed.

(if you hadn't been born in the UK, would you have the opportunity to even put your mitts on the EB-5 fee? )
Really what about all those Arabian fathers that buy into EB5 just so they can send their children to American Schools, and never even get to step foot on US soil.
Its seems you guys on here enjoy putting down any aspirations of living in what we think to be a great country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.