identity theft

Old Jan 24th 2001, 2:27 pm
AM

It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also they cashed a check and
used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork that took the check must be blind.. what
are the odds that someone looks that close to me????

so far three checks have been written..totaling over $400 sigh Angel

Old Jan 24th 2001, 4:54 pm
paulgani

At this point, I would go to court and change my name.

Paulgani

> It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also they cashed a check
> and used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork that
took
> the check must be blind.. what are the odds that someone looks that close
to
> me????
>
> so far three checks have been written..totaling over $400 sigh Angel

Old Jan 24th 2001, 7:46 pm
Evan and Sheila

Have you gotten all your cards, checks and all that kind of thing canceled yet?

> It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also they cashed a check
> and used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork that
took
> the check must be blind.. what are the odds that someone looks that close
to
> me????
>
> so far three checks have been written..totaling over $400 sigh Angel

Old Jan 24th 2001, 10:03 pm
kiwi

Do they have your soc sec number? You should call the credit report agencies and get a
security alert put on your profile. If they apply for credit in your name etc then the
credit reporting agncy is supposed to raise a flag and some more checking will be done. I
believe that you are supposed to be contacted it that happens. My wife and I wen through
the same thing when her purse was taken. The guy who was caught on camera, actually
produced three differnet credit cards from two differnt people at the same store, all were
rejected for being stolen and the store still didnt suspect anything.

n article <[email protected]>,

> Have you gotten all your cards, checks and all that kind of thing canceled yet?
>

> > It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also
they
> > cashed a check and used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork
that
> took
> > the check must be blind.. what are the odds that someone looks that
close
> to
> > me????
> >
> > so far three checks have been written..totaling over $400 sigh Angel
> >
> >

Old Jan 25th 2001, 2:24 am
AM

change my name?? sheesh thats pretty drastic don't you think?? I have only been in this
country 11 months.. I am sure changing my name will complicate the visa process even
further and would mean I would have to apply for our green cards all over again.. NO
THANKS>. I am already spending a lot of time and effort to replace all of my stolen ID

Angel

> At this point, I would go to court and change my name.
>
> Paulgani
>

> > It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also they cashed a check
> > and used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork that
> took
close
> to
> > me????
> >
> >
> >

Old Jan 25th 2001, 2:26 am
AM

Yes I cancelled everything 5 mins after my purse was stolen..! I also reported it to the
fraud claims... the police... and the places where the checks have been written.. also the
three major credit companies in teh USA..so if someone tries to open any accounts with my
SS# ...they will contact me!

Angel

> Have you gotten all your cards, checks and all that kind of thing canceled yet?
>

> > It seems the person that stole my purse is now using my ID also they cashed a check
> > and used my WA state ID to verify it..and the dork that
> took
close
> to
> > me????
> >
> >
> >

Old Jan 26th 2001, 5:03 pm
shadowfax

Just happened to read Access magazine last week, apparently there is a site with
information and what to do for ID theft, what to watch out for, where to file an FTC
complaint contacting credit bureaus etc. It's at www.consumer.gov/idtheft. I found it
interesting reading - never thought of ppl stealing an identity to get credit cards /
phone service / a job.

An excerpt from the www.consumer.gov/idtheft site on bank accounts :

"If you have reason to believe that an identity thief has tampered with your bank
accounts, checks or ATM card, close the accounts immediately. When you open new accounts,
insist on password-only access to minimize the chance that an identity thief can violate
the accounts.

In addition, if your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payment. Also contact the
major check verification companies to request that they notify retailers using their
databases not to accept these checks, or ask your bank to notify the check verification
service with which it does business. Three of the check verification companies that accept
reports of check fraud directly from consumers are:

Telecheck: 1-800-710-9898 International Check Services: 1-800-631-9656 Equifax:
1-800-437-5120

If your ATM card has been lost, stolen or otherwise compromised, cancel the card as soon
as you can and get another with a new PIN. "

CF

Old Jan 26th 2001, 5:50 pm
shadowfax

Funny, I thought I posted this, but it didn't turn up.

www.consumer.gov/idtheft http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/idtheft.htm

You might want to file a complaint with the FTC too. From the FTC site:

"The FTC is the federal clearinghouse for complaints by victims of identity theft.
Although the FTC does not have the authority to bring criminal cases, the Commission helps
victims of identity theft by providing them with information to help resolve the financial
and other problems that can result from identity theft. The FTC also may refer victim
complaints to other appropriate government agencies and private organizations for action.

If you've been a victim of identity theft, file a complaint with the FTC by contacting the
FTC's Identity Theft Hotline by telephone: toll- free 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338); TDD:
202-326-2502; by mail: Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, 600
Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580; or online: www.consumer.gov/idtheft."

CF

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:19 am
AM

thanks for the great information!! I will definetly check this out!

angel

> Just happened to read Access magazine last week, apparently there is a site with
> information and what to do for ID theft, what to watch out for, where to file an FTC
> complaint contacting credit bureaus etc. It's at www.consumer.gov/idtheft. I found it
> interesting reading - never thought of ppl stealing an identity to get credit cards /
> phone service / a job.
>
> An excerpt from the www.consumer.gov/idtheft site on bank accounts :
>
> "If you have reason to believe that an identity thief has tampered with your bank
> accounts, checks or ATM card, close the accounts immediately. When you open new
> accounts, insist on password-only access to minimize the chance that an identity thief
> can violate the accounts.
>
> In addition, if your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payment. Also contact the
> major check verification companies to request that they notify retailers using their
> databases not to accept these checks, or ask your bank to notify the check verification
> service with which it does business. Three of the check verification companies that
> accept reports of check fraud directly from consumers are:
>
> Telecheck: 1-800-710-9898 International Check Services: 1-800-631-9656 Equifax:
> 1-800-437-5120
>
> If your ATM card has been lost, stolen or otherwise compromised, cancel the card as soon
> as you can and get another with a new PIN. "
>
> CF