identity card

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:30 pm
Koheve

Default identity card

Hi!

An article in the Dallas morning news mentioned an "identity card" is available at
the Mexican Embassies. Read about the same "identity card" in the Chicago Tribune
about a month ago for Mexicans too. This card is a legal ID card which allows
immigrants to open bank accounts and etc.

I'd like to find out more about it for I only expect to be called for an interview
(I-485) next year.

Thanks! Appreciate if anyone could email me!

Evelyn

Old Aug 16th 2002, 11:40 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: identity card

KohEve wrote:
    > Hi!
    > An article in the Dallas morning news mentioned an "identity card" is available at
    > the Mexican Embassies. Read about the same "identity card" in the Chicago Tribune
    > about a month ago for Mexicans too. This card is a legal ID card which allows
    > immigrants to open bank accounts and etc.
    > I'd like to find out more about it for I only expect to be called for an interview
    > (I-485) next year.
    > Thanks! Appreciate if anyone could email me!

What about it. If you are Mexican and can prove it, then you go to a Mexican
consulate and apply for one. However, this doesn't have any affect on your
immigration status. It is for people that don't have a Mexican passport. If you
entered with your Mexican passport, you wouldn't need the ID card. It's a Mexican
government thing and has nothing to do with the US government.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:05 am

"KohEve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    > An article in the Dallas morning news mentioned an "identity card" is available at
    > the Mexican Embassies. Read about the same "identity card" in the Chicago Tribune
    > about a month ago for Mexicans too. This card is a legal ID card which allows
    > immigrants to open bank accounts and etc.
    > I'd like to find out more about it for I only expect to be called for an interview
    > (I-485) next year.

If you are talking about a TEXAS ID card and not something specifically Mexican, you
can get one at any DPS office. You don't need one if you have a Texas driver's
license which banks etc expect and accept as picture ID.

-
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq.htm

You will require appropriate documentation to get a Texas driver's license/ID card.
Check the driver's handbook (online at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf or
available at any DPS office. Locations of DPS offiices are on the site too). Note
that Texas expects you to get a Texas driver's license (or ID card) within 30 days of
becoming 'resident' in the state - their definition of 'resident' will depend on who
you ask at which office, but it might be advisable to get one within 30 days to avoid
any hassle, esp if you are driving, to keep the nice state troopers happy if they
stop you. It's no big difficulty to get one. Some DPS offices get real busy, so if
you visit one in a major urban area expect to wait a while at peak times.

> Thanks! Appreciate if anyone could email me!
    > Evelyn

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:37 am
Mrtravel

"." wrote:
    > "KohEve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > An article in the Dallas morning news mentioned an "identity card" is available
    > > at the Mexican Embassies. Read about the same "identity card" in the Chicago
    > > Tribune about a month ago for Mexicans too. This card is a legal ID card which
    > > allows immigrants to open bank accounts and etc.
    > >
    > > I'd like to find out more about it for I only expect to be called for an
    > > interview (I-485) next year.
    > If you are talking about a TEXAS ID card and not something specifically Mexican,
    > you can get one at any DPS office.

No, I believe they meant the "matricular" issued by Mexican consulates for people
without a passport. If you have filed for AOS, I would assume you have a passport. If
you have a Mexican passport, you don't need the card. A web search should bring you
more info than you need.