I94 extension

Old May 15th 2020, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default I94 extension

So I was due to head back to the U.K. this spring for a visit but due to the Covid19 outbreak, that idea was firmly hit on the head.

The issue now is that my I94 is due to expire in July. Given that there’s no end in sight for the easing of travel restrictions, I’m just going to have to file the extension online.

My question is....it says I’ll need to submit biometrics but doesn’t say where. Does anyone have experience of filing this online and what’s the normal routine for these?

thanks!
Old May 15th 2020, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I94 extension

What visa do you have?
Old May 15th 2020, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute

E2

edit - sorry, should clarify further. My husband is the E2 holder (he works for a multinational company here), I am an E2 derivative. We’ve been here 3 years out of our 5 year visa.

Last edited by drunner; May 15th 2020 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old May 15th 2020, 8:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

you'll be sent an appointment for biometrics at an "application support office". They're not going back to work until June 4th and I'm guessing opening hours will depend on local coronavirus restrictions. Either way, file for your extension in good time.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! I’ve filed it and paid the fee. Looks like I’ll need to go to Charleston to the local office for biometrics (assuming my application is approved).

Here’s hoping there’s no issues! I’m well within the required 45 days that they advise, so we shall see.
Old May 22nd 2020, 12:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I’ll need to go to Charleston to the local office for bio metrics (assuming my application is approved).
You'll have to have the biometrics long before your application is adjudicated. The purpose of them is to confirm that the persona applying for the extension is the same person that originally obtained the visa, and also for criminal background checks with the FBI and other agencies.
Old May 22nd 2020, 1:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

IME - biometrics appointments would normally be for 3-4 weeks after application sent in. That's probably going to be longer now but the point is that I concur with civilservant.
Another point which is more general and may only be applicable to the application support center here in Austin - the appointments that are sent out are for the mornings and my application support center is open and EMPTY in the afternoons. As I found out when DS gave me a heart attack by sleeping through his 9.00am appointment and got there for 12.30pm. I wouldn't bank on it though....
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
You'll have to have the biometrics long before your application is adjudicated. The purpose of them is to confirm that the persona applying for the extension is the same person that originally obtained the visa, and also for criminal background checks with the FBI and other agencies.

that makes sense! Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
IME - biometrics appointments would normally be for 3-4 weeks after application sent in. That's probably going to be longer now but the point is that I concur with civilservant.
Another point which is more general and may only be applicable to the application support center here in Austin - the appointments that are sent out are for the mornings and my application support center is open and EMPTY in the afternoons. As I found out when DS gave me a heart attack by sleeping through his 9.00am appointment and got there for 12.30pm. I wouldn't bank on it though....
A little open secret - biometrics can be taken by any application support center at any time on or before the appointment date. As you note, the ASC’s tend to be not busy later in the day so it is best not to go at opening time. The only problem we ever had was with ASC’s co-located with CIS offices which had compulsive security dicks. Other wise no problem.
Old May 22nd 2020, 9:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A little open secret - biometrics can be taken by any application support clateenter at any time on or before the appointment date. As you note, the ASC’s tend to be not busy later in the day so it is best not to go at opening time. The only problem we ever had was with ASC’s co-located with CIS offices which had compulsive security dicks. Other wise no problem.
OH boy! The officers are going to hate us now, all those lovely quiet afternoons sitting around chatting will now be full of BRITS!!!
You'd need to have the appointment letter to show up before the date though. That actually reminds me that we did exactly this when my younger daughter needed her biometrics done at age 14 ( or 14.5 in our case and $850 later ) - we turned up a week or so earlier with the appointment letter and begged them to do it since she was heading off for the summer. They did.
Old May 22nd 2020, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

So once I have the appointment date through, I could actually just head down to the ACS office (with my appointment letter in hand) and see if they’ll do my biometrics early? That would be so handy!

I’m assuming (or maybe not!) that would push my application through quicker...or am I being really silly....it’s still at the mercy of USCIS isn’t it?! 😂.

A question for anyone who has done this before online...how long did they extend your I94 for? The online application asked how long I wanted the extension to be for, but with no end in sight for this international travel debacle, I wasn’t quite sure what to put.
Old May 22nd 2020, 10:51 pm
Austin. TX.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-response-covid-19

Apply for an Extension. Most nonimmigrants can mitigate the immigration consequences of COVID-19 by timely filing an application for extension of stay (EOS) or change in status (COS). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services continues to accept and process applications and petitions, and many of our forms are available for online filing.

If You File in a Timely Manner. Nonimmigrants generally do not accrue unlawful presence while the timely-filed, non-frivolous EOS/COS application is pending. Where applicable, employment authorization with the same employer, subject to the same terms and conditions of the prior approval, is automatically extended for up to 240 days after I-94 expiration when an extension of stay request is filed on time.
Old May 22nd 2020, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Ok, so that’s just short of 8 months. With a bit of luck, things will be a little more normal, travel wise, by then.

thanks!