Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

i140,i184,EAD, AP - questions on process

i140,i184,EAD, AP - questions on process

Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
Question i140,i184,EAD, AP - questions on process

So as a lot of you know, I upgraded the i140 to PP.
the i485 was filed concurrently back in October.
My question is:

What is the flow of approvals and rough timlines? if the i140 gets approved, how will it look for the i485, EAD and AP? Obviously I would like to travel in and out of the as soon as possible. Also, I may need to change jobs as this job is rocky at the moment.

Thanks!

note:cant change title but that should say i485 not i184

Last edited by nudda; Jan 18th 2019 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:39 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i140,i184,EAD, AP - questions on process

Originally Posted by nudda
So as a lot of you know, I upgraded the i140 to PP.
the i485 was filed concurrently back in October.
My question is:

What is the flow of approvals and rough timlines? if the i140 gets approved, how will it look for the i485, EAD and AP? Obviously I would like to travel in and out of the as soon as possible. Also, I may need to change jobs as this job is rocky at the moment.

Thanks!

note:cant change title but that should say i485 not i184
Are you EB1? I thought that was now backlogged to 2016 and 2017?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht

Are you EB1? I thought that was now backlogged to 2016 and 2017?
EB2. Based on latest VB I am Current

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uary-2019.html
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:46 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

EB2. Based on latest VB I am Current

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uary-2019.html
For some reason I thought you were an L visa, so EB1C. But guess it’s good you are EB2... I can’t even get my head around EB1 being backlogged for ROW.

Mine also took longer than I needed, I ended up writing to the Senator for where I lived and asking for an update, based on the delay negatively impacting a USC, her office sent me a standard form, (so I assume they do this frequently) I never got an answer on the delay, just an approval a few days later. No idea if that was because of my request or just coincidence.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht

For some reason I thought you were an L visa, so EB1C. But guess it’s good you are EB2... I can’t even get my head around EB1 being backlogged for ROW.

Mine also took longer than I needed, I ended up writing to the Senator for where I lived and asking for an update, based on the delay negatively impacting a USC, her office sent me a standard form, (so I assume they do this frequently) I never got an answer on the delay, just an approval a few days later. No idea if that was because of my request or just coincidence.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I just hope the PP kicks in and the i140 gets approved soon.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:25 pm
tht

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I just hope the PP kicks in and the i140 gets approved soon.
Being in NYC the Senator was Democratic which I am sure helps, and also note that I was writing because of the impact on one of her constituents not for myself. Basically I was waiting to buy an apt for my USC girlfriend (now wife) and needed the Green Card to get a good mortgage. I also wanted to propose and wanted the EB1C GC in hand before I did that.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht

Being in NYC the Senator was Democratic which I am sure helps, and also note that I was writing because of the impact on one of her constituents not for myself. Basically I was waiting to buy an apt for my USC girlfriend (now wife) and needed the Green Card to get a good mortgage. I also wanted to propose and wanted the EB1C GC in hand before I did that.
I used the same reason to be sponsored by my company.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Once your I-140 gets approved (hopefully 15 days, but allegedly sometimes they issue boilerplate RFEs to reset the 15 day clock), your I-485 moves to Pending status. After 3-4 months you should receive approval for your EAD/AP and receive the card in the post 1 week later. At this point, you can change jobs as long as the original I-140 sponsor does not withdraw the petition and you still intended to work for them. After 180 days of I-485 pending, you can change jobs and the original I-140 sponsor cannot withdraw. (AC-21 rule). However, you must be going into a similar job in all circumstances. Your new employer would need to submit a new I-485J if you change jobs (on day 180 or later). After 6-8 months you will probably be called for I-485 interview, unless your local office is really backlogged. This will be another month and then if you are approved, the GC arrives a week later.

I wrote all that in the context of you saying you were worried about your current job.
Best of luck.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neill
Once your I-140 gets approved (hopefully 15 days, but allegedly sometimes they issue boilerplate RFEs to reset the 15 day clock), your I-485 moves to Pending status. After 3-4 months you should receive approval for your EAD/AP and receive the card in the post 1 week later. At this point, you can change jobs as long as the original I-140 sponsor does not withdraw the petition and you still intended to work for them. After 180 days of I-485 pending, you can change jobs and the original I-140 sponsor cannot withdraw. (AC-21 rule). However, you must be going into a similar job in all circumstances. Your new employer would need to submit a new I-485J if you change jobs (on day 180 or later). After 6-8 months you will probably be called for I-485 interview, unless your local office is really backlogged. This will be another month and then if you are approved, the GC arrives a week later.

I wrote all that in the context of you saying you were worried about your current job.
Best of luck.
Many thanks, Neill! This is exactly the exlanation I was looking for.

One thing i didnt understand though was how anyone can prove (or otherwise) the intent to work for the original employer if, lets say, I try to change jobs after receiving the combo card?
Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neill
After 3-4 months you should receive approval for your EAD/AP and receive the card in the post 1 week later.
Also note that i140 and i485 were filed concurrently in Oct 2018. Does the 3-4 month timelines for EAD/AP still stand ?

Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

I've had 2 addresses, 2 senators, one Rep and one Dem. Both equally responsive, perhaps even the Rep having the upper hand by hosting a town hall that I could see their immigration employee in person.

What I'm saying is that the party doesn't matter. They're trying to win votes for the next election regardless.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:52 pm
tht

Originally Posted by tom169
I've had 2 addresses, 2 senators, one Rep and one Dem. Both equally responsive, perhaps even the Rep having the upper hand by hosting a town hall that I could see their immigration employee in person.

What I'm saying is that the party doesn't matter. They're trying to win votes for the next election regardless.
Not sure what you mean, as an alien I had no rep, I wrote to my girl friends rep, you can’t vote with a visa or a green card. I guess they could be thinking 3-5. years down the line, and a new senator could be thinking to re-election 6 years later.

You may have been lucky with your “reps”, but given what I see on the news I would be surprised that different elected officials in different states would not act in different ways to these types of requests depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by tht; Jan 19th 2019 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

Not sure what you mean, as an alien I had no rep, I wrote to my girl friends rep, you can’t vote with a visa or a green card. I guess they could be thinking 3-5. years down the line, and a new senator could be thinking to re-election 6 years later.

You may have been lucky with your “reps”, but given what I see on the news I would be surprised that different elected officials in different states would not act in different ways to these types of requests depending on the circumstances.
You don't need to be a US citizen to utilize the services of a congressperson.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 9:03 pm
tht

Originally Posted by tom169
You don't need to be a US citizen to utilize the services of a congressperson.
Right, as demonstrated by me doing so.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht

Right, as demonstrated by me doing so.
I'm having trouble following your replies. Anyone who has a US residence can make use of the congressperson for that address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.