Wikiposts

I130 Question

Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Aqua1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I130 Question

Ok, thanks, & with out seeming as though i am stupid again :P where can i have a look at those threads, i am sorry, this is the first time i have ever used a discussion forum
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua1976
Ok, thanks, & with out seeming as though i am stupid again :P where can i have a look at those threads, i am sorry, this is the first time i have ever used a discussion forum
Here is a link to the Wiki article on the CR-1 Immigrant Visa (that's the visa you get when an I-130 is filed by your USC spouse).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he's not going to be around for a whole year, then no, don't start the Immigrant Visa process right after marriage (don't file the I-130 right away). The IV process will require some correpondence between the USC and NVC after the I-130 is approved, and he wont' be around to take care of it.

Best bet is to get married, you return to the UK, he goes on deployment, and then when he's back settled in the USA again, he can file the I-130 then.

UNLESS the wife of a deployed USC has some special advantage that I am unaware of. I am just a layman and don't know all the rules.

Rene
good morning, I disagree with not starting the visa case until the Mister gets home. Provisions for the mail can be made, a different agent can be selected. People do manage to do the paperwork even when deployed.

OP might want to have her fiance reach the military helpline at USCIS for help, but they can simply appoint a different agent in the US, or name the beneficiary as agent. Then she could have her visa ready when he comes back.

Another perspective.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:19 am
Just Joined

What is an op? So you reckon someone can act on his behalf whilst he is deployed?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What is an op? So you reckon someone can act on his behalf whilst he is deployed?
OP is you, Original Poster.

When the petition is approved, it is sent to the National Visa Center. The first thing they do is contact the beneficiary (you) and ask you to appoint an 'agent' to receive the upcoming mail from them regarding your visa application.
You can be your own agent, however, many people select the US citizen petitioner to be the agent because mail sent within the US will arrive much faster than international mail to you.

You can appoint anyone to be your agent. If his family is on board, maybe one of them would help you both.
The USC will need to complete an I-864 affidavit of support, but he can begin arranging all of that now.
I was overseas when I petitioned and my mom helped me organize some paperwork that I needed from the States while I was away.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:48 am
Just Joined

so even though we are not getting married until feb he can apply the I864 anyway before we marry? Ok say one of his family will help, they are acting on my behalf to fill in forms etc?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

so even though we are not getting married until feb he can apply the I864 anyway before we marry? Ok say one of his family will help, they are acting on my behalf to fill in forms etc?
meauxna has the right idea, I didn't realize it was the immigration who chooses the agent, I thought it was the USC.

He can prepare the I-864 and backup documents ahead of time, to be ready to send in when required, even if he's overseas. He can leave it with whoever you will choose as the agent, and they will send it when necessary.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:07 am
Just Joined

well then great all we need to do is prepare ahead and post off before he deploys? Will they need anymore info of him after he files the I130 & the I864? It means I can process everything else when he is away & hopefully shorter time before we can be together when he returns ?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:24 am

well then great all we need to do is prepare ahead and post off before he deploys? Will they need anymore info of him after he files the I130 & the I864? It means I can process everything else when he is away & hopefully shorter time before we can be together when he returns ?
Make sure you both read the instructions for the I-130 / Immigrant Visa process very carefully, and understand the process as a whole, before you get started. It will be hard to re-coordinate something while he's gone, if you don't plan ahead.

I don't think you've understood the process yet...did you read the link I posted to the Wiki here?

The I-864 does not get sent along with the I-130. And yes, there will be more info back and forth after he files the I-130....that's why there will be an agent doing this for him.

Rene

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:26 am

Yes, in theory all of this is possible, but I'd hate for you to jump out now and "just file!". I think that one or both of you having a good understanding of what the required steps and documentation are before you just count on it working out.
Have your USC reach the military helpline; they are used to working with people in his situation.

Frequently Asked Questions: Immigration Information for Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their Families
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Yes ofcourse I wouldn't go jumping in head first until I have reasearched and fully understand, yes I read the link, I
am just finding it very overwhelming, I'm a bit lost, I know he must file the I130 first after we marry, & agent? Does that mean for the both of us?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:54 am

Yes ofcourse I wouldn't go jumping in head first until I have reasearched and fully understand, yes I read the link, I
am just finding it very overwhelming, I'm a bit lost, I know he must file the I130 first after we marry, & agent? Does that mean for the both of us?
He files the I-130 after you marry. Then you sit back and wait several months until the I-130 is approved. The I-130 then gets forwarded to National Visa Center (NVC), where they begin correspondence with you...the first bit of correspondence is "Choice of Agent". YOU will select someone to be the agent...preferably someone in the USA because it's faster. NVC will then contact the agent, requesting more info (I-864, for example). Eventually NVC lets YOU know what forms to fill out for your visa application, how to get the medical done, and when your visa interview date is.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Ok great, thats really clear. Do you think it would be more beneficial if we hired an immigration lawer as our agent?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Ok i have a new topic, but just not sure which thread to use, my fiance & i talked over the weekend, & we thought about him coming to the UK, & we get married here, do i need a special visa in order for that to happen? then after we get married continue with the process of the I130..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.