British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   I want to work in NYC - help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/i-want-work-nyc-help-323160/)

lucyporter78 Aug 30th 2005 2:45 pm

I want to work in NYC - help!

My partner recently got transferred to New York with work on a permanent basis.

We lived together for four years in the UK when I decided to go travelling in New Zealand. We kept in contact throughout the year I was away and realised we are actually meant to be together (ahhhh) so on the way back to the UK I stayed in NYC as a trial run to see if we could live there together and we can!

I have now comeback to the UK to find out how to get back to NY with the ability to work.

He moved to NY earlier this year to a permanent job role within an investment bank with whom he has been employed with for over 4years now. In three years he can apply for a green card. We are finding out if the company will sponsor me but, if not, wanted other information about available visas.

I do not have a degree or profession as such but I do have a strong CV covering admin, catering management (NHS), recruitment, design, publishing etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Manc Aug 30th 2005 2:48 pm

Re: I want to work in NYC - help!

Originally Posted by lucyporter78

We lived together for four years in the UK when I decided to go travelling in New Zealand. We kept in contact throughout the year I was away and realised we are actually meant to be together (ahhhh) so on the way back to the UK I stayed in NYC as a trial run to see if we could live there together and we can!

I have now comeback to the UK to find out how to get back to NY with the ability to work.

He moved to NY earlier this year to a permanent job role within an investment bank with whom he has been employed with for over 4years now. In three years he can apply for a green card. We are finding out if the company will sponsor me but, if not, wanted other information about available visas.

I do not have a degree or profession as such but I do have a strong CV covering admin, catering management (NHS), recruitment, design, publishing etc.

marry him.

and depending on what visa he has, it may still be a long wait.

Elvira Aug 30th 2005 2:54 pm

Your information is vague.

What is his STATUS? (ie visa category)

Why does he need to wait another 3 years to apply for his GC if he has already been there for 4 years?

Bob Aug 30th 2005 3:15 pm

You've been told in the other thread, you've either got to marry the guy, or get your own visa...and to get one on your own outright, go get a degree would be your best bet, because you'll be waiting around for a long time before he's eligable for citizenship to sponsor you in a timely fashion...

lucyporter78 Aug 30th 2005 3:32 pm

Sorry if not clear (again)

He worked for the company for 4years in the UK. He is a Permanent Resident.

dandc Aug 30th 2005 3:44 pm

Re: Sorry if not clear (again)

Hi Lucy,

The majority of foreign workers who get into the US originally come in on H1-b visas. To qualify for one of these you either need a degree or 12 years of work experience (USCIS counts three years of work experience as commensurate with one year of the standard 4-year degree that one would get from a US university). As mentioned before, you could marry your man and get in that way, but if he is on an H1-b, you would get an H4 which does not entitle you to work.

Since he has worked for the company in the UK for over a year outside of the US, he might have come over on an L1, which i believe you can get a derivative work visa from if you were married (Ingo, correct me if I am wrong on this, I very well could be). Either way, you would need to be married for this angle to work.

I think your first step should be to find out what visa he entered the US on and what his status is. All other questions can then be answered from this starting point. Good luck!

lucyporter78 Aug 30th 2005 4:01 pm

Sorry if not clear ( yet again)

Been told off by man for being so vague & not being forum savvy.

Thanks for the help - this had been his conclusion too as he is on a L1 visa...are there any restrictions with this derivative work visa?

Approxiamately how long does this take to come through (I know it varies) &, as I haven't been able to find this information elsewhere, is there any site you would recommend for more info.

Much appreciated,

Lucy

Elvira Aug 30th 2005 4:03 pm

Re: Sorry if not clear (again)

He worked for the company for 4years in the UK. He is a Permanent Resident.

if he is on an L1, you can get an L2 if you marry.

Bob Aug 30th 2005 5:31 pm

Re: Sorry if not clear ( yet again)

Approxiamately how long does this take to come through (I know it varies) &, as I haven't been able to find this information elsewhere, is there any site you would recommend for more info.

www.uscis.gov for info and processing times, though your looking at months of waiting around.

L1a/b visa's are only good for a few years, I can't remember exactly, but he really should get going on the application for his greencard and get LPR status, with you married, be a lot easier...And, as he's on an L1 visa, he isn't a permanent resident yet, that's the greencard.