Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I think this is AOS, but I could use some assistance please.

I think this is AOS, but I could use some assistance please.

Old Mar 1st 2001, 11:15 pm
Lisa \B\

. This is a letter I got from a friend, and I really don't know what to tell her. I was
unable to find anything in deja aka google, and I gave her alvena's site, so maybe
someone can assist with this problem.. Thanks.

Lisa (B)
##############################################
he came into the country based upon a marriage visa with a condition. the condition is
that he stay married for 2 years and before his card expired in 07/01 he would file
jointly with his wife to get that condition off his permant residency. but she divorced
him islamically dec
00. he applied to remove the condition based upon divorce dec 00 and they wrote him back
saying that his card has been extended for one year in which he has authority to
work. they said that it will take 360 days to view his case and if he hasnt heard
from them by then to contact them and reference that letter.

anyways he is not going to get married until he hears that he is either deported or get 10
year permanent residency. so what happens if he is deported does he have to leave the
country right away and also can he file a waiver for the deportation and does he have to
have a lawyer to do that. is it expensive and how much will it cost. I am sorry I am
asking all these questions. I don't know where and how to look for all this so it would be
a big help and charity for you if you do this for us.

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 12:11 pm
RJLiles

If the time comes and he is deported, more then likely this will not happen, he can file
an appeal. It would be best to have a lawyer if and when the time comes. He can stay in
the US until the appeals/waiver process is finished. Once the case is final then if he is
to be deported he would have to leave then.

A person is allowed to apply to remove conditions based on a divorce and normally gets to
stay provided that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

I think your friend should just go on about his life on the assumption that he will get to
stay until such time things change. Again as long as the marriage was entered into in good
faith and was legit I don't think he has anything to worry about.

>
tell
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
his
    >
    >
    >
    >
which
    >
his
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
is
    >
    >
a
    >
    >

Old Mar 3rd 2001, 11:02 pm
Lisa \B\

Thank you very much for the information. I will pass it along.

Lisa (B)

Old Mar 5th 2001, 2:23 am
Onigiri

Hi, could you please post how your friend's "ex-"wife achieved this islamic divorce ? What
was the place and the procedure ? Does your friend investigate whether or not this
(extrajudicial) divorce is legal in the USA before conceding that he is a divorced person
? Please post. We seem to have lost the previous info on this thread: (here below is the
pertinent details) ......he came into the country based upon a marriage visa with a
condition. the condition is that he stay married for 2 years and before his card expired
in 07/01 he would file jointly with his wife to get that condition off his permant
residency. but she divorced him islamically dec
00. he applied to remove the condition based upon divorce dec 00 and they wrote him back
saying that his card has been extended for one year in which he has authority to
work. they said that it will take 360 days to view his case and if he hasnt heard
from them by then to contact them and reference that letter.

>
    >
    >

Old Mar 5th 2001, 11:08 am
Lisa \B\

I am getting this information second hand..apparently the wife went into the mosque, and
got a divorce.

Whatever happened, the information that was passed on to me, I included with my first
post. I made no changes to the letter.

I will ask for more information, and post it when it arrives.

Holiday today, Eid Mubarak to all.

Bye for now,

Lisa (B)