I received a call from USCIS

Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default I received a call from USCIS

Well, you could have bowled me over with a feather! I just received a call from USCIS in Louisville. The woman told me that my appointment for naturalization had been cancelled due to the death of President Reagan, but that I will receive a letter with a rescheduled date.

I could hardly believe my ears - she called me! Will wonders never cease?

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004 – Passed
Oath Ceremony: June 11, 2004 – Rescheduled... damn!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:33 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I received a call from USCIS

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Well, you could have bowled me over with a feather! I just received a call from USCIS in Louisville. The woman told me that my appointment for naturalization had been cancelled due to the death of President Reagan, but that I will receive a letter with a rescheduled date.

Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

I cant believe it either. Sorry your ceremony has to be rescheduled.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:25 pm
Sharon

Ian...are you from Montreal? I just noticed at the bottom of your
reply that you had your K-1 appointment in Montreal. I'm from Montreal
originally too, presently waiting for my AOS and now living in
Virginia.
I have a question for you...
When you applied for citizenship, did you have to "give up" your
Canadian citizenship? Just curious. It will be awhile till I am at the
point which you are now, but I'm not certain that I am willing to give
up my Canadian citizenship. I do know and realize that I don't HAVE to
become an Amer. citizen tho too, of course. But aren't Canadians
allowed to have a dual-citizenship, or am I mistaken?
Thanx
Sharon

ian-mstm <[email protected]_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, you could have bowled me over with a feather! I just received a
    > call from USCIS in Louisville. The woman told me that my appointment for
    > naturalization had been cancelled due to the death of President Reagan,
    > but that I will receive a letter with a rescheduled date.
    >
    > I could
    > hardly believe my ears - she called me! Will wonders never cease?
    >
    > Ian
    > (and Sheila)
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------
    >
    > Timeline:
    >
    > Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
    > K-1 interview in Montreal:
    > March 27, 1998
    > Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
    > Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
    >
    > AoS interview: February 20, 2001
    > Received PR status: March 4, 2001
    >
    > Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
    > NoA: Priority date - December
    > 11, 2003
    > Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
    > Citizenship Interview: May 5,
    > 2004 ? Passed
    > Oath Ceremony: June 11, 2004 ? Rescheduled... damn!

Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sharon
When you applied for citizenship, did you have to "give up" your
Canadian citizenship? Just curious. It will be awhile till I am at the
point which you are now, but I'm not certain that I am willing to give up my Canadian citizenship. I do know and realize that I don't HAVE to become an Amer. citizen tho too, of course. But aren't Canadians allowed to have a dual-citizenship, or am I mistaken?
I actually grew up in Toronto and was living in Halifax at the time my K-1 was processed - but the interview was in Montreal.

In a nutshell, no - you don't have to give up your Canadian citizenship when you apply for US citizenship. That'd only happen if you presented yourself in front of a Canadian federal judge and renounced it. I'm still a proud Canadian citizen, am also a UK citizen, and in the near future, will be a US citizen also!

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,

My ex-wife also received a phone call from the USCIS, similar to yours. They called to tell her that her AOS interview had to be postponed because the interviewer had called in sick and all of the available interviewers were fully booked for the day.

Unfortunately, we lived about 2 hours from the office and were already enroute when the call was made...

Regards, JEff

Ian (and Sheila)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
My ex-wife also received a phone call from the USCIS, similar to yours. They called to tell her that her AOS interview had to be postponed because the interviewer had called in sick and all of the available interviewers were fully booked for the day.
I'm still taken back that they bothered to call in the first place. I mean, that's pretty responsible of them! Something I wouldn't have considered in my 6.5 years of dealing with immigration.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:07 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, this is contrary to a report I just received from AILA (thank you AILA) which says the USCIS has advised AILA that all of its offices will be closed on Friday, June 11, 2004, except that any naturalization swearing-in ceremonies that have been scheduled for that day will proceed.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:26 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Ian, I was telling my husband about the situation with natz. ceremonies being postponed on Friday and how are they going to cancel/reschedule at such short notice. And he said "that's what the telephone is there for".
Looks like he was right. I should be asking my down-to-earth husband these questions and not posting on the forum This is not the first time he has been right .....

Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Hmm, this is contrary to a report I just received from AILA (thank you AILA) which says the USCIS has advised AILA that all of its offices will be closed on Friday, June 11, 2004, except that any naturalization swearing-in ceremonies that have been scheduled for that day will proceed.
Well, what can I say? I guess it's the left/right hand syndrome. I did get a letter in the mail today from USCIS indicating that "due to unforeseen circumstances" the ceremony will be cancelled and that they'll let me know if/when the ceremony is rescheduled.

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2004, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Ranjini
Looks like he was right. I should be asking my down-to-earth husband these questions and not posting on the forum This is not the first time he has been right .....
I tell my wife, on occasion, that's she's right! She makes me repeat it slowly several times so that the full impact of her being right is burned into my brain!

Ian
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:26 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I tell my wife, on occasion, that's she's right! She makes me repeat it slowly several times so that the full impact of her being right is burned into my brain!

Ian
Yep. The eternal battle of the sexes
Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:55 am
Michael D. Young

Ranjini wrote:

> Originally posted by Matthew Udall
    > > Hmm, this is
    > contrary to a report I just received from AILA (thank you AILA) which
    > says the USCIS has advised AILA that all of its offices will be closed
    > on Friday, June 11, 2004, except that any naturalization swearing-in
    > ceremonies that have been scheduled for that day will proceed.
    > Matt, it looks like it was a decision made by this individual office
    > and perhaps others. I suppose where logistics do not make it possible
    > to inform candidates individually and in time, they have the blessings
    > of the USCIS to proceed?? J

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/field...ings/index.asp

Scheduled Office Closings:

All USCIS offices and Application Support Centers will be closed on Friday,
June 11. If you have a scheduled appointment for that day, please call
1-800-375-5283 to reschedule your appointment. If you are scheduled for a
naturalization ceremony, please show up that day and you will be
naturalized.

Old Jun 10th 2004, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Michael D. Young
http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/field...ings/index.asp

Scheduled Office Closings:

All USCIS offices and Application Support Centers will be closed on Friday,
June 11. If you have a scheduled appointment for that day, please call
1-800-375-5283 to reschedule your appointment. If you are scheduled for a
naturalization ceremony, please show up that day and you will be
naturalized.
I guess this would be helpful if my naturalization ceremony was being held at USCIS or a Field Office. Alas, it's being held at a District Court which is not under the direct control of USCIS. Still, others may benefit from this information.

Ian