Wikiposts

I must be the luckiest k-3 holder

Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default I must be the luckiest k-3 holder

I say luckiest, and you will think so after this story...

I first met my wife online on 15th Dec 2001, after instant messaging each other daily, I take a two week vacation in the US to meet her for real. I fly over on the 10th March 2002, noticing that the visa that I was granted for temporary entry in 1988 said 'Indefinite' I presumed that it was still valid and attempted entry using it (The American Airlines cabin staff hinted towards it being no longer valid and suggested I fill out a I94w alongside the I94 should the border agent refuse to accept the visa), we I get to immigrations at Chicago, the officer states that visa has expired, and voids the stamp but lets me in anyway.

We decided to marry just before the end of my vacation, and managed to do so on the day that I fly back to the UK. (It wasn't my intention to marry before I came over, it just seemed right at the time I was with her).

[Here's where it gets bad]
I get back to the UK, and settle my affairs, at take a one-way trip back to Chicago entering via VWP.

And then start the process of obtaining a k-3 visa.

In November '02 we take a vacation in the UK, staying with my (now late) mother, upon returning to the airport, I am told that I cannot fly without a visa due to having a one way ticket, so my wife flies home alone, and I return to my mothers, and wait for my wife's petition to be approved, which it does, and I continue to apply for a k-3 visa.

Fearing that my stay of 6 months via the VWP even if possible due to section 201(b) of the LIFE act would jeopardize the granting of the k-3/4 visa, I add a self written affidavit stating my actions and their intent, stating regret at any wrong doing to the visa application. The day arrives, and I travel back to London, undergo the medical, then walk to the embassy. When I am called, a gentleman asks me "Is everything thing written here the truth?" (or words to that effect), after I'm confirming that, he tells me to come back at 15:30 when my Visa will be ready.

I must have a lucky face, as I still question how the visa was granted, why the border agent let me in on an old visa the first time around.

I now hold LPR, and will be starting the process of naturalization very early next year.

Last edited by pTeronaut; Apr 4th 2011 at 11:03 am.