Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I LOVE NYC!!! O-1 Visa application?

I LOVE NYC!!! O-1 Visa application?

Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I LOVE NYC!!! O-1 Visa application?

Originally Posted by London-Photo-Girl
Thanks Ian but my preconception of what I would like to hear is in none of these posts!!!
What I meant when I said pointless was that their advice was more of a rant than an informed opinion. Like I need to be published in an US mag or on par with Annie Lebowitz or I don't stand a chance.. I don't need to be an immigration lawyer to know this is nonsense.

I wont be giving up on my dream career anytime soon if anyone has anymore advice it would be great to hear from you. Especially those who have gone through this and are BRITISH EXPATS living and working in the U.S..
A couple of observations, if you will permit me.....
O visas are intended for a very specific type of individual - a person who has global recognition due to their expertise, who are thought leaders and major influencers. Unless you fit in that category - and perhaps you do, an O-1 is something of a stretch.
To then change tack completely and state that you are also investigating an H1-B may cause some, who in the main, do try to profer helpful advice based on their real experience, to wonder if your enquiry is genuine, rather than a bit of a 'pipe-dream'.
Utilizing an H1-B where there is a familial connection with the sponser (your uncle) will definitely complicate matters - I speak from personal experience, as an H1-B beneficiary, who's sponsor was my brother.
It would be very easy to sugar-coat everything for you and reassure you that your O-1 or H1-B application would be mere formality - but the fact is that it isn't easy to do this. The folks who have responded to this thread are giving you realistic information.
In summary, living a dream existence as an internationally regarded photographer, swanning around between LA and New York, is the preserve of very, very few. Who knows, you may be one of them, but I suspect that if you were, you wouldn't be seeking advice on here, you and your entourage would already be here, doing it......
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:07 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
A couple of observations, if you will Who knows, you may be one of them, but I suspect that if you were, you wouldn't be seeking advice on here, you and your entourage would already be here, doing it......
exactly!
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, while those posts may not have been what you wanted to hear, not a single one of them was "pointless". I'll also mention that you probably liked pejpm1's post, only because it fit into your pre-conceived notion of what you wanted to hear.

We get that a lot (and worse) when we tell people stuff they don't want to hear! At any rate, good luck to you.

Ian
I think the point she is making (and that I have made several times) is that people are very quick to jump down posters throats to give them the bad news when they dont necessarily have any experience of what they are talking about. In my journey to the US I've seen plenty of posts on here and received advice that, to be blunt, was absolute bullshit.

I made sure that I prefaced my post by saying that I have no idea of her level of experience or position in her industry so by no means am I trying to give her false hope...but at the same time to imply that if you arent at the level of someone like Annie Lieobwitz, then you dont stand a chance seems to be pointlessly negative. The reason I've taken issue with your reply is that by saying that I'm 'telling her what she wants to hear' you seem to be implying that I'm not being honest or am making things up...I say again, I know several O1 Visa holders and whilst they are very talented, dont quite fit into the 'global superstar' realm that you and others seem to think all O1's need to fit into. That is the only 'advice' I gave.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
The reason I've taken issue with your reply is that by saying that I'm 'telling her what she wants to hear' you seem to be implying that I'm not being honest or am making things up...
I'm confused... what makes you think that my reply to her had anything to do with you? You really need to go back and read what I actually wrote... not what you think I wrote.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point she is making (and that I have made several times) is that people are very quick to jump down posters throats to give them the bad news
With you on that. I can count members right now who fit that bill. And may be it's rubbing off on me!
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that the answers are more blunt and less encouraging when the OP puts absolute vague nothingness in their first post. Even better if she comes back and slams the replies she got. Why bother putting in the effort?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I notice that the answers are more blunt and less encouraging when the OP puts absolute vague nothingness in their first post. Even better if she comes back and slams the replies she got. Why bother putting in the effort?
Totally agree.

I know a lot of people who are photographers, very difficult to make a full time living, but none that would make an O 1. So unless there is something that mentions greater standing you tend to assume they do not have it.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused... what makes you think that my reply to her had anything to do with you? You really need to go back and read what I actually wrote... not what you think I wrote.

Ian

"I'll also mention that you probably liked pejpm1's post, only because it fit into your pre-conceived notion of what you wanted to hear."

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I really fail to see what you're confused about. She liked your post. What you wrote made sense to her. I didn't suggest that anything you wrote was dishonest or incorrect or made up. I suggested only that she liked your post because it fit within HER frame of mind, in the same sense that she didn't like my post because it conflicted with HER frame of mind.

Anyway, suffice to say that what you read wasn't what I intended. If anything I wrote caused you to take offense at my response, then I apologize for any unintentional offense.

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I really fail to see what you're confused about. She liked your post. What you wrote made sense to her. I didn't suggest that anything you wrote was dishonest or incorrect or made up. I suggested only that she liked your post because it fit within HER frame of mind, in the same sense that she didn't like my post because it conflicted with HER frame of mind.

Anyway, suffice to say that what you read wasn't what I intended. If anything I wrote caused you to take offense at my response, then I apologize for any unintentional offense.

Ian
Nice to see some love on this forum!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Your options are certainly few.

There are not many photographers on an O1 but many artists. If you could diversify, stage exhibitions of your work etc this may add to your cause. Photo journalism could also be an option for an "I" visa. You need to do a lot of research and work to make it a reality, and it will in all likelihood take years. But many determined (and lucky) people do manage it.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Laensch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey London Photo Girl- have you managed to get an O-1? I think I'm in a similar situation to you. Would really appreciate your help.

Also I would like to say that I know a whole bunch of people who have an 0-1. Some only months out of Uni and some filed without the help of a lawyer.
It's not as much of an impossible task as some people make it out to be.
I think it depends a lot on the field that you're "extraordinary" in.

Photography seems to be a toughie.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

NotCasey is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on an O1, but it's for acting not photography. It's certainly doable but it takes a lot of effort. Read the criteria and get all the evidence you can - write ups about you and your work, evidence that your work has been showcased in exhibitions etc, and and then think about what you can do to strengthen your petition and get right on it. For instance, if you have never showcased your work, think about hosting an event, advertising it and getting press coverage. Make a list of people who would potentially write you recommendation letters. Are there any professional bodies you can join?

Do your research into lawyers as well. There are some fantastic ones and some awful ones. Be prepared to part with your savings.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

gcimages is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey London-Photo-Girl,

I know it's been a while but did you have any luck? I am myself weighing up the possibilities of such a move. If you've have any advice I'd love to hear about it!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcimages
Hey London-Photo-Girl,

I know it's been a while but did you have any luck? I am myself weighing up the possibilities of such a move. If you've have any advice I'd love to hear about it!!
The OP hasn't been back to BE for over a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.