Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I am worried and have a few questions. can anyone help?

Wikiposts

I am worried and have a few questions. can anyone help?

Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Rose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I am worried and have a few questions. can anyone help?

Originally Posted by Boiler
What reason did they give for denying the visa?
that i didnt supply evidence of returning. i had sent copies of my class schedule and a letter from my univeristy indicating when i start classes as proof. and they also said i had insufficient funds. i gave them a copy of my bank statements and also sent the travelers cheques i would have used when i was in the uk as proof. i was only asking for a two week stay and had more then enough money. so what do you suggest i do now? thanks
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Rose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant futureRose5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Rose it is easy for us to tell you not to give up. Only you know how far you wish to push this and I would say that I would, if it were me, sit over the next few days and write out exactly what occurred and then when it is to your satisfaction as precisely a copy of what actually transpired, send a copy to the British immigration office with copies of the British Consulate in Seattle and a copy to one of the major newspapers in London.

One thought to bear in mind, however, is that once a decision is made it is very rare for a reversal.

Depends on how angry you are about this and what you want to accomplish. I would also like to know what papers you signed and why you don't have a copy of them. What, if anything, is marked in your passport?

I feel that you were given a raw deal and your physical impairment was capitalized upon to their benefit. I would be furious.

Rete
i have copies of the papers they made me sign. they also kept my passport untill i boarded the return flight home. i am angry at what happened and have been trying for the past few months to get things straigtned out. the papers they made me sign said their reasons for not allowing me in the country. ill have to look up the numbers of the papers they made me sign and let you know. i do have a mark in my passport. it has lines through it. thanks for all your help rete. i appreciate it!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rose5
that i didnt supply evidence of returning. i had sent copies of my class schedule and a letter from my univeristy indicating when i start classes as proof. and they also said i had insufficient funds. i gave them a copy of my bank statements and also sent the travelers cheques i would have used when i was in the uk as proof. i was only asking for a two week stay and had more then enough money. so what do you suggest i do now? thanks
To be honest I have never heard of anybody else having this problem, now none of us were there but sounds like you had all the bases covered.

Rete's previous post sounds the only option, probably one of the tabloids? but like any beaurocracy you might be wasting your breath.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To be honest I have never heard of anybody else having this problem, now none of us were there but sounds like you had all the bases covered.

Rete's previous post sounds the only option, probably one of the tabloids? but like any beaurocracy you might be wasting your breath.
Actually I've heard of it happening to US travelers going into the UK and into Canada. Both countries have the same policy we have about not allowing those in that they feel have immigration intent. Is it more widely done in the US as opposed to Canada or the UK? Don't know as these forums are for US immigration and therefore in most instances it is the foreigner coming to visit the US and not the other way around.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:24 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose5
i was told by the british embassy in seattle that it wouldnt do me any good. that no matter what i do what immigration says, goes. my parents had called the embassy non-stop while i was on my way home from the uk.
they had me sign papers before they interviewed me the second time. i asked them what they were for and they never explained the papers to me. so , do you have any suggestions on where i should go from here since ive also been denied a visa? or should i just give up? thanks for all your help
Of course the UK embassy told you it wouldn't matter. I'd write your congressman, both senators, the US ambassador to the UK, the UK ambassador to the US and ask for a written response and explanation. Send it to every liberal, pro-immigrant newspaper in London. They may stick it on page 18 or something.

I think a hearing impaired tourist being bounced from her vacation is news worthy. If the US did that to a UK citizen, it would be all over the news.

I'm still confused as to why they selected you for removal from the UK. What did they think you were going to do?

I saw an episode of "Airport" which shows things that happen at Heathrow. They found a letter in some guys suitcase that he wrote saying that he would work illegally in the UK for six months before trying to go to the US. He told the passport control officer that he changed his mind, and was admitted. How many illegal US citizens are in the UK? Don't they have better things to do? There must be more to this story.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
There must be more to this story.

Having been involved with marriage-based visas for the last seven years, I know that there doesn't have to be more to the story then what Rose told us.

It is completely up to the discretion of the agent at the POE (the same is true for the US as for the UK) to allow a visitor into the country. If they feel that you have a love interest in the country and there is a chance that you might migrate without having obtained proper documentation before entry, they then can turn you around and send you home based only on their suspicions. Stinks doesn't it? So many are allowed in who should not be and those with enough money for a vacation and a personal connection to a member of that country's population and who would have a legal way to migrate even if they did marry, is not allowed in. Go figure. Guess it boils down to the agent having a bad hair day or on a power kick.

What angers me is that the agent was told of Rose's impairment and heard her plea to remove his hand from in front of his mouth so she could read his lips or allow her to call someone who could clearly hear and understand what was being told and asked of her and her pleas were denied outright. This is where the agent was wrong and should be held accountable. Not for not allowing her into the UK but for refusing to allow someone with a physical impairment the right to due process. The UK is big on political correctness and this agent failed miserably and in that regard the agent and its department should be held accountable publicly.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely agree with Rete (and the other comments). Not right.

Still surprised, most of us have spouses/ friends who have been the other way and certainly I have never heard of any problems, I have on numerous times waited for my now wife behind the non EU counter while she was in line. She often chatted with the Officer (do not think they would like being called agents!) that I was there and waiting.

And then to be refused a Visa as well.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:11 pm
R. Carvish

crg14624 (member20421@british_expats.com) writes:
    > Did you have any prior history with UK immigration? Did you have
    > previous long trips? I'm very surprised that they denied your entry.
    > Is there more to the story?

when I read Rose's original message, I too was surprised she'd have
trouble with the UK immigration. From what people have told me, it's very
easy to get in (if you are a visitor).

The only thing that rang true with what Rose said, was a difficulty in
communication causing her problems.

In my situation (not to do with immigration), I had to communicate with
law enforcement where I lived, in French. They did not speak English very
well, and I speak French, but not well enough to understand if what I'm
saying can be read any way other than what I'm telling them.

The first miscommunication I made was accidentally telling them (in
French) that I wasn't part of the crime they were investigating, but I
committed a crime somewhere else. The second time I spoke with them
(different situation) while completely distressed, and inadvertently told
them I was attacked by three guys, instead of saying it was one guy with a
knife. I have no idea how they understood these things... but my language
barrier caused me a great deal of trying to explain, and them needing to
call down other police who spoke English to clear it up.

Being deaf and lipreading is not much different than being not fluent in
another language, but being able to get by. If Rose misunderstood what the
immigration said, that could easily be the cause. He might have asked her
something like "did she intend to get married and stay in the UK" and she
might have understood him to have been asking if her boyfriend was going
to the US to see her. Unless she can explain a reason that she
understoods, I only read her story to be "I couldn't communicate with him"
and if she can't communicate with him, but tried to answer his questions,
the question she might have been asked is not what she intended to answer.

Rachel in Canada