Wikiposts

I am a winner DV-2002. Questions?

Old Apr 27th 2001, 5:08 pm
Travis Mole

I have been sent a congratulations letter, so am in the process of fulling out forms.
However I have a problem with OFS-230 Part II. I have been arrested 8 years ago for
theft and was not convicted, does this hold any bareing on me gaining a greencard.
Also an offense of drinking while in charge of a vehicle. Does this bare any weight
on my further application.

Old Apr 28th 2001, 2:11 am
Jan

(<yfsG6.1636$SZ5.137368@www.newsranger.com>):

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I am not exactly sure about this (is DUI/DWI a felony - I believe it is not). However
failing to mention it would certainly be sufficient grounds to deny your application
(and be apparent from the police certificates you need to submit).

Old Apr 28th 2001, 7:48 am
Green

(<yfsG6.1636$SZ5.137368@www.newsranger.com>):
    >
[usenetquote2]> >I have been sent a congratulations letter, so am in the process of[/usenetquote2]
fulling out
[usenetquote2]> >forms. However I have a problem with OFS-230 Part II. I have been arrested 8 years[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >ago for theft and was not convicted, does this hold any bareing on me gaining a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >greencard. Also an offense of drinking while in charge of a[/usenetquote2]
vehicle.
[usenetquote2]> >Does this bare any weight on my further application.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'd like to agree that you should report it. I work with immigration into Canda,
which requires an FBI report for people who live / have lived in the US for some
time. I noticed that the FBI report of at least one candidate showed a DUI in
California. I guess it is better not to surprise the INS or Consulate, honesty seems
appropriate here.

Bob

Old May 11th 2001, 12:11 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Travis Mole wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

A good page on this topic is http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/crimesframes.html.
It was prepared for family-based immigration, not diversity-based, but the laws and
regulations are the same for both types of immigration.

Your arrest without conviction will not prevent you from getting permanent resident
status; however, you must provide full particulars. The offense involving driving
while under the influence could possibly count against you. It would be best to
consult a good immigration attorney about that.