I am proud to be an American!

Old May 31st 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default I am proud to be an American!

Today is the day I will remember for a very long time … I became an American citizen!

The appointment was for 12:30pm and my wife reached Lexington court house around 11:45am. After going through the security, we were seated in the Juror selection room. It turns out the actual ceremony was not until 1:30pm … So, we had plenty of time spare.

Around 12:30pm couple of USCIS officials started checking everyone in and my wife stepped outside waiting ... We all got numbers assigned and sat in numerical order – I was about in the middle. USCIS officials briefly went over the whole process with us and informed at the end of the ceremony we will be receiving our Certificate of Naturalization. Oddly enough, he also mentioned that we SHOULD NOT send original certificate when we apply for passport. Apparently certified copies are good enough for passport application. This is contradictory to what I’ve read online. Moreover, once I got the certificate, it also says we are NOT to copy this certificate?? Strange!!!

Anyway, returning to the story … Around 1:15pm we were asked to go to the second floor and gather around in front of the court room. When we went upstairs, they called the numbers we were assigned chronologically and we entered the court room. When I saw the inside, I remembered how Ian (ian-mstm) explained how beautiful it was – I can certify 100% they way he described it. We all sat down, received a booklet about the ceremony. A little statistics about the 1:30pm Oath Ceremony session:
  • Total Applications: 50
  • Applicants attended: 49
  • Applicant missing: 1
  • Countries represented: 22 – including UK, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, China, Russia, Bosnia, Cameron, Mexico ... etc

At exactly 1:30pm, Judge Jennifer B. Coffman (Ian, I believe she also conducted your Oath ceremony) entered the room, we all stood up, and court was in session. US Attorney presented 3 motions - for naturalization on behalf of the 49 applicants; Name Change on behalf of the 7 applicants ; and continuance on behalf of the 1 missing application. We were asked to stand to take the Oath of Allegiance. The court clerk read the oath and as it ended, we all said "I do". Afterwards we turned towards the flag, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. The judge congratulated us, came forward and handed us our certificate one at a time just like a graduation ceremony. We went back to our seats. The judge then asked a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution to come forward and address the "new citizens.” Similarly someone from Women Vote organization came forward and went over the importance of voting and informed us we can register to vote after the ceremony right outside the court room. After this the judge told us a story about her friend who’s family emigrated from Poland during WWII when he was a baby. He went to school in the US, worked very hard, eventually naturalized and now a Federal Judge in Maine. The judge then recited a beautiful poem written by George M. - a naturalized citizen - "You who have been born in America, I wish I could make you understand what it is like not to be an American -- not to have been an American all your life -- and then suddenly with the words of a judge in flowing robes to be one, for that moment and forever after. One moment, you belong with your fathers to a million dead yesterdays -- the next you belong with America to a million unborn tomorrows." With that reading, the judge completed the ceremony. Afterwards, many of us lined up with our family/friends to take pic with the judge … Judge Coffman let everyone take as many photos as they wanted. My wife and I also took a pic with judge.

As soon as we walked out the court room, I registered to vote … It was very convenient. We took few pics inside/outside the court house and headed towards the Social Security office to change status.

I still cannot believe it is finally over and I am now an American! Thank you for all the help and support. This group has been Absolutely invaluable!

Last edited by abir007; May 31st 2008 at 8:39 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:22 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am proud to be an American!

Congratulations!!
Old May 31st 2008, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, new citizen. A beautiful write up!
Old May 31st 2008, 12:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well done an congrats...arise Mr Septic ...
Old May 31st 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abir007
Today is the day I will remember for a very long time … I became an American citizen!
I am so very happy for you! Congratulations!

Ian
Old May 31st 2008, 1:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on becoming and American and posting on BE!

I do have a question. Did you have to surrender your Green Card on the day of the citizenship ceremony?
Old May 31st 2008, 5:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hearty Congratulations, abir!!!

Welcome to the fold.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

What great news -- congratulations!!

~ Jenney
Old May 31st 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Congratulations on becoming and American and posting on BE!

I do have a question. Did you have to surrender your Green Card on the day of the citizenship ceremony?
Oh yeah ... They took our Green Cards when they checked us in. In oath ceremony all you need to take is your green card and the letter unless you got a ticket or travel outside after the interview ... then you have to provide supporting document for that.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

canuckshark is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! I think I know exactly how you felt during the oath ceremony. I got really caught up in the moment and was genuinely proud to become a citizen. This country has been great to me, and to say that I belong is priceless. My oath ceremony was in April and I am still sort of floating around. The other day I went through every page on the passport and read the quotes
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

I think HAPPY more correct.
Tobe proud you must have to do something for YOUR COUNTRY.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:07 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vladimir
He did ..ask his wife ...
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:10 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The US *is* his country! Besides, who died and gave you the job of determining what constitutes "proud"?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.